Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Am I a sucker or what?!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Background: In August I started a new job which isn't commute friendly because I am itinerant over a fairly large area. My old bike commute is one of the few things I even miss about my old job.

My school district provides a rather limited program 3 mornings/week for some of the weeks of summer break for kids who have demonstrated regression over school breaks during the year. The speech pathologist who was to co-teach the session backed out and there was a desperate plea for help.

My first thought was--nah--it's too far to ride my bike, but my clever husband reminded me that I could ride light rail to the end of the line and then ride my bike. So now it is a summer commuting adventure and a gesture of good will at work.

I have sort of decided that my work specialty is WRSTNEW: Weird random stuff that nobody else wants.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Remember that old commercial - some to the effect of "get Mikey to do it" hope you have a great experience both with the commute and the kiddos
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

new adventures and weird random stuff ftw ...have great commutes and a positive impact on the students!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Not a sucker.
    I took my job because it's a 5 mile commute. Totally selfish. I mean, it's the kind of job I wanted, but the commuting was foremost on my mind.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I can pretty much count on the kids being fun.

Some of the other staff have expressed their concern about whether I will be okay. I mapped it and it is only six miles! I drove around the area yesterday to take a look at the road surfaces and everything is fine. Of course it isn't touring some beautiful countryside, because it is the western suburbs of Salt Lake City, but hey! a ride is a ride! The first day is June 17th. I have some flexible days next week when I can do a test ride.

Salt Lake City started a new program where residents can buy a 1 year transit pass (bus, light rail and commute rail) for $30/month. Brewer and I are such fans that we signed up even though we are only occasional riders. This will also give me a chance to get out an use my HIVE Pass!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I think it's awesome to get to combine transit and rail! Good for you. A commute is good for the soul. And I am sure it will be a good time with the kids.

I honestly love working with "kids" with dyslexia or who are kinesthetic learners. I grew up with a sister who needed a lot of extra help because of both of those things and have learned a thing or two. When I was tutoring for Indiana, I got a ton of practice with both and the same happened when I move here. I like to help students troubleshoot their learning abilities, which is random and odd for faculty or sub-faculty like me but it's the change I need to keep myself going. I get that.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog