Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

June rides....hopefully a pleasant month of weather and rides for all

A friend wanted to ride the San Gabriel River bike trail from Azusa at the base of the San Gabriel mountains to Seal Beach at the ocean starting at sunrise. 77 miles round trip. Kind of a boring ride visually (did see some ostriches and a zebra though) and mostly flat with a good headwind as we got nearer to the beach. There were also a couple of area’s where I was thinking it was good to have pepper spray in my handlebar bag. A well paved and maintained path though. Weather started in the high 60’s and got into the 80’s. We held speeds in the 20’s a lot of the ride which was fun. Might be a good ride for someone wanting to get some mileage and a speed workout but that’s not really what I prefer. I like at least a few good climbs and better nature views. I really enjoyed being with my friend though and that made up for any dislikes and overall for a good days ride.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

We had quite an adventure today. Decided that with it being the nicest day in quite a long time, we didn't want to head to the MTB race, but to stay local and enjoy the day. Our friend, PJ, joined DH and I, and the plan was to go out for a long MTB loop of about 50 miles of local trails (Estabrook Woods, Carlisle cons land, Great Brook State Park, Russell Mill and Greenough Land). We got out to Estabrook where another rider asked if he could tag along. He was new to the area and didn't know the trails. We were happy to oblige, though he rode quite a bit slower than we did, and we (meaning I) had to wait for him pretty often, especially since he followed us far enough to not know where he was AT ALL. The good news is that I have quite a lot of patience, the weather was beautiful, and I was happy to be out on my bike. However, at Great Brook, we found him a map, and he happily went on his way back home (he also let us know it was his 3rd time on the bike THIS YEAR, where we have been riding pretty close to every day all year). We felt good about sharing the trails with someone new, but did pick up the pace a bit after he left.

Soon thereafter, just as we were heading to Indian Hill at the Stone Row intersection, I heard a pretty good crash, followed by a loud yell and some pretty loud moaning. Next I heard DH and PJ asking, "Dude - are you ok?" (yes, they really did say dude), to which he loudly replied, "NO!". I came around the corner, took one look at the angle of his foot compared to his leg, was off my bike with phone in hand and dialing 911. It appeared, at first glance (with my years of medical training ) to be a compound fracture of his ankle. I spoke to 911, PJ went off to direct the emergency responders to our location, and then I set about ensuring that Scott (as I learned), stayed conscious and alert until help arrived. I talked to him, learned what he thought had happened (tried to take a corner too sharply, front wheel washed out, and foot wouldn't release from his pedal). I called his wife and left messages, and then we waited for the EMTs.

When they arrived, they set about cutting the buckle off of his Sidis (the EMT recognized they were expensive shoes that he should try to save), and then cut off his sock. What we saw was heartening - a dislocation instead of a break! Scott stayed together through the air casting of his leg, transfer via board to the stretcher, and was grateful that we were all there to help him. Afterward, PJ commented about how I went directly into a mode - taking charge, and taking care of the downed rider. It's a good thing I'm not that squeamish - I also later learned that the Park Rangers wouldn't come over for fear of throwing up at seeing his ankle .

With Scott safely transported, we decided to cut our ride a bit shorter given what time it now was. I did stop later when Scott's wife called to thank me - a nice touch. I have asked her to call me in a couple of days just to see how he is doing.

We ended up with 3:20 moving time, and 35 miles of mostly trails. Not bad for an adventure-filled Sunday .

I'm calling this one the Good Karma Ride.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

You rock!!!
    Hope the dislocation heals reasonably fast... definitely good Karma. Y'all were at the right place & time for all sorts of people...

Must have been the weekend for MTB injuries. My partner was riding with some friends. I didn't go because I can't up with that group. Anyway, there's a spot where you have to pedal fast downhill, go over a small bridge, to make it uphill. Well the last girl only made it part way up and then flipped into the rocks on the right instead of the dirt on the left. She broke her lower leg and they had to bring the ATV to get her out to the ambulance.

The funny this was all the guys have to take pics and discuss it and what should and should not have been done. I don't think I've ever met a male MTBer who didn't want to discuss all his MTB injuries, and the more gruesome the better.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I don't think I've ever met a male MTBer who didn't want to discuss all his MTB injuries, and the more gruesome the better.
    it's not like the women here never discuss injuries ...but yeah i know what you mean....personally I'll learn the lessons from a mishap and then just gladly put it out of my mind.

good on you SheFly, good karma indeed!!!!!!! Scott was lucky to have you there!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    it's not like the women here never discuss injuries ...but yeah i know what you mean....personally I'll learn the lessons from a mishap and then just gladly put it out of my mind.

good on you SheFly, good karma indeed!!!!!!! Scott was lucky to have you there!!
    Oh I completely agree. I've discussed all my injuries here and elsewhere. They just seem to relish it so much and if there's pics so much the better

And it is lucky that SheFly was there!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

HA! Before they casted Scott to get him out, he made sure I took pictures with his phone .

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Of course there must be pictures.

That's from 2007. I now have a nice scar.

My weekend riding was uneventful - ten miles at the local regional park, 1800 feet of climbing. Me chanting "breathe f@##$, breathe." I've had the lyrics to an Offspring song running through my head.

Veronica

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cycling Black Diamond 6-1-2014, Elevation.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	17151
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

After a very hilly 42ish miles on Saturday, today was a nice easy meander through town running errands, just enjoying the fragrant air and beautiful sunshine. I love these slow meandering rides, so relaxing. Well, except for the jogger I almost hit rounding a curve. Really dude, you have to run with your dog on the wrong side of the trail??? Even that didn't bother me much today...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401738687.640934.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	17152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401738716.328902.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	17153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401738746.951646.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	17154
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Happy to say no major crashes on our 1st day of June ride. We found an amazing "jeep" trail that bordered a wilderness area 23 miles (part out and back, part loop)
    The first ride of the year with two of my best riding buddies. I have titled this shot the 3 amigos :0) Wildflowers were abundant

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3amigos1.jpg 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	17165
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Got out for my first June ride this morning. Lots of tour buses out. The must be a cruise ship in port. Luckily I didn't end up stuck behind one this time. They can go so slowly even I can pass them!

Speaking of passing, I was left in the dust by a very fast woman on a yellow bike. I was impressed and a little jealous of her speediness. Oh well. I think my days of trying to go fast are over. It just takes too much out of me. I think it's my Hashimoto's. It takes me so long to recover if I go into the red zone. It's not worth it.

But what a gorgeous day! Looks like rain on my next day off, so it may be a while until I ride again.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Did a very easy 10 miles or so with a friend who was doing her first ride of the season, then later rode the 5 or 6 mile round trip to volunteer at the bike co-op and stopped for groceries on the way home. Ended up hauling almost 30 pounds of groceries, first time I have carried a real load on the Surly and it handles it great (I wished the trip home was longer than the less than 3/4 mile it is). The bucket panniers I made a while back are perfect for grocery runs, feel like I need a "Wide Load" sign on when using them though!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I feel the same way, if I commute home on Tuesdays. I don't work on Wednesday, and on Thursday I do outreach at a high school, so I have 4-6 packed folders and 2 books that I need on Thursday. My pannier is just huge! Maybe I should get a different system, but it's making me think about what I really need to bring with me. I buy lunch on the days I ride and I leave my shoes and most of clothes at work until the next day i drive.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    After a very hilly 42ish miles on Saturday, today was a nice easy meander through town running errands, just enjoying the fragrant air and beautiful sunshine. I love these slow meandering rides, so relaxing. Well, except for the jogger I almost hit rounding a curve. Really dude, you have to run with your dog on the wrong side of the trail??? Even that didn't bother me much today...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401738687.640934.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	17152Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401738716.328902.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	17153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401738746.951646.jpg 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	17154
    That was a beast of a ride on Saturday! Are those pretty pictures from the north end of the Centennial trail?

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

It WAS a beastly ride Laura, and you must have been in beast mode, you did so well! I was slllowwww going up those hills. 3000 feet of climbing, ugh. I'm surprised I wasn't more sore the day after but I felt pretty good! I was sad I missed seeing you though.

The pics are from the duck pond in Mill Creek. :- )
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"