Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thumbs up Great Gravel riding in Oregon

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Ladies!

I've been having tons of fun riding gravel over the last few years and I came across this article today about gravel riding in the John Day area of Oregon. I've loved my road riding out that way and now I'm inspired to do a gravel trip.

Just thought I'd share.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I would love to ride the tamer versions of the routes in this great article. Wahine, what kind of bike would you recommend for "tamer" mixed gravel? I'm not ready for mountain bike trails, but this is what I actually pictured us doing when we got back into cycling. And with a daughter living in Bend, well need I say more?! (Ok, you have me thinking we should just "drive"up McKenzie Pass!!)

Don't get me wrong, still love road riding, but this also looks so fun.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I was thinking the same thing, love to do a version with less mud. My Salsa Vaja would be great on a ride like that!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by smittykitty View Post
    I would love to ride the tamer versions of the routes in this great article. Wahine, what kind of bike would you recommend for "tamer" mixed gravel? I'm not ready for mountain bike trails, but this is what I actually pictured us doing when we got back into cycling. And with a daughter living in Bend, well need I say more?! (Ok, you have me thinking we should just "drive"up McKenzie Pass!!)

Don't get me wrong, still love road riding, but this also looks so fun.
    First off, don't be scared of MacKenzie pass. It is an amazing ride under the right circumstances and the ride is much easier from the Sisters/Bend side. I did the ride last year from Sisters on a nice day and it was one of the highlights of the season.

As for a gravel bike. There are soooooooo many options out there. Any cross bike can be used for gravel. Really, any road bike can be used for gravel with tough and wider tires. If you plan to ride when it's wet then you might want fenders in which case you need a bike with adequate clearance for fenders. You're looking at touring bikes or cross bikes for that. I prefer steel, it rides nicely and it can sustain hits from rocks being kicked up. Here's an example of a good solid bike that could be used for gravel. Or this. Both of the bikes I've posted have disc tabs, and I love my disc brakes.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks for the info.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Chiming in, we have spent all spring riding in the Owyhee desert and expect to be in the John Day area this summer as the desert gets to hot. Love that area. Great article by Path Less Pedaled, thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baggage.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	17144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cruella.jpg 
Views:	1311 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	17145 I have been caught in the mud, with my fendered touring bike and it was not any fun. Prior to my new Surly ECR, I was riding a Disc Trucker with a 26 x 40 tire and for most of the gravel/dirt roads it does great. The straggler is also awesome. Our group has a huge mix of bikes, primarily Surly's and Salsa's and we strongly recommend the widest tire your bike/brakes can accommodate. For years I took my Rivendell with 650bx40 tires on numerous gravel, dirt roads and did fine unless it got extremely sandy.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

YES! McKenzie pass is awesome. I've done it twice this year. It's opening to cars on June 16th so get out there quick!
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75