Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

CrossFit good for Triathlons?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wondering if anyone has tried doing crossfit while tri training and liked the results?

I have not done crossfit, so this is second hand info, but a PT that I know tried it for a while and her determination was that doing crossfit makes you better at crossfit, but doesn't really benefit cycling. As far as I know she did not continue with it.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I think that goes for most sports. Cross fit might be good for cross training but not a substitute for running, cycling and swimming.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I know several very good fitness professionals who all say the same thing - Crossfit makes you good at Crossfit. I've been around it and have a lot of experience with that style of training and I think that is a good way to describe it. Certainly nothing wrong with cross-training, for sure, but you still need to focus on your sport-specific training.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-20-2014 at 09:13 AM.

A good cross training strength program is an important part of racing better in triathlon. But Crossfit may not be the best place to get what you need. Each Crossfit Box (that's what they call their gyms) is a bit different and some offer programs specifically geared towards endurance athletes looking to incorporate some Crossfit style workouts into their programs but their primary focus is not Crossfit. Our Box in Hood River offers these and I think they work well for some people. I would not recommend the generic WOD, workout of the day. As other people have mentioned above, those workouts make you better at Crossfit, not triathlon, and the injury rate is fairly high in the general Crossfit population. Something like 16% of new people to Crossfit sustain an injury (please realize I don't know how the research defined "injury") within the first several months of participating. So you have to be careful, self monitor well and be willing to put your competitive self aside to practice Crossfit safely.

I had a successful AG triathlete as a patient who went to CrossFit. She was familiar with it but hadn't been for several months. Her first day back she got overly competitive and did a ton of box jumps. Partially tore a muscle in her buttock and it was about 3 months before she could run again. Injuries happen in every sport but the highly competitive environment at Crossfit seems to lead to problems for many people.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I agree with what the other guys mentioned here. Why would you do crossfit training when you're not going to do crossfit? Well, that might result to enhanced physical endurance, but I think, it would not ever replace the physical benefits of training for triathletes.