Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

food after rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know they say you should eat within 30-60 minutes after getting off the bike to refuel but right after a ride I'm not in the least bit hungry. (which is surprising to me because I'm ALWAYS hungry lol) Should I force myself to eat something or wait until later when my appetite has returned? I'd love to hear some examples of what you ladies eat after riding.

I'd say it depends on how long the ride is. If it's just a short trip, then there's not much to recover from. For longer rides and very hard efforts, I think it's better to have something. I generally have orange juice right after a long ride, followed shortly by a sandwich. My short rides tend to be in the evening so I just follow up with a regular dinner.

I go with orange juice because it's got vitamins and minerals and is a quick way to get some calories, and it's always easy for me to drink. They say chocolate milk is a good post-workout drink, but it's not appealing to me on a hot day.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    For myself, if I'm cycling steadily especially with a couple of hills, after 2 hrs., I need to eat something small and juice up.

If it's a long endurance ride ...on a trip with loaded panniers for 4-5 hrs., I most definitely need to eat something, even if small, within 1 hr. of stopping, at least twice during the ride. Then dinner or lunch afterwards within 1 hr. afterwards. Don't eat much then, if you're not hungry. But your body will be a max. burn after a steady, semi-difficult ride within 30 min. after stopping.

But most of my riding doesn't demand that type of full out eating. Just a snack.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-18-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I have to force myself to eat after a long run or ride.

If I don't, I'll be ravenous for three or four days afterward, and my performance will be impaired.

I usually fix a quick shake of fruit and/or fruit juice and protein powder. Maybe a carrot or some greens or sprouts.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

If it's a short ride (15-20 miles or less), I might have a snack. A quick spin around the neighborhood doesn't merit anything beyond perhaps a cup of tea and toast (ie, what I'd eat anyway.) Longer rides, I'll make some kind of smoothie/shake thing (my favorite: generous serving of full-fat Greek yogurt, a banana, peanut butter, a scoop of chocolate whey powder, and a bit of cocoa powder), or (when I lived in Ohio and actually rode), I'd stop at Starbucks and pick up a latte or something. Rides longer than 40 miles? Anything that's not nailed down. (In all seriousness, I try to have an actual meal, since a long ride means that I didn't eat lunch as such.)

In hot weather, regardless of ride length, I will try to find something salty. I may or may not have kept a few bags of chips in my car for this reason...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I can't handle smoothies or food right after a long ride but since I ride out from my home mostly, I do have the advantage of keeping stuff in the fridge. My # 1 favorite is chocolate almond milk as I walk around, cool down, check and prep my bike. It has chocolate and some nutrition from the almond milk plus it is not thick, and not too many calories. My # 2 go to is an iced latte made with espresso, coffee, honey and coconut water with a shot of soy or almond milk. I make this up in batches and just keep a quart jar opf it in the fridge. When I have cooled down, showered and changed then I can eatwithout being ravenous or thirsty.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Usually beet & apple juice (make it myself) and/or a fruit only smoothie. And then when I get hungry I usually eat rice with whatever veggies I have on hand.