Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Learned something new about myself when analyzing this weekend's tri

To disable ads, please log-in.

I raced a local race on Saturday and I learned something new about myself.

I felt like total crap on the bike. I was so nauseous that I wanted to throw up, but I held it together and survived. About 3/4's of the way into the bike leg, I started to feel better but it was touch and go there for awhile.

Same thing happened to me in 2011 when I last did this race except in 2011, I did throw up while biking. At the time, I thought I'd swallowed pool water or something.

What I'd failed to remember is that I had the SAME problem in 2010. I'd chalked it up to first timer nerves since it was my first ever tri at that point. I'd also eaten a gel before the swim and was re-tasting it and it was gross so I never gave it much thought (and I still don't eat apple cinnamon flavored gels!).

Now, looking back, I'm seeing a pattern.

When I compare this to all my open water tri experiences, I don't have this same problem. And I swam in this same pool, once a week for 10 weeks in 2010 as part of a lesson program and had no issues then, either.

I'm also extremely sensitive to motion. I've gotten car sick while I was driving. I can't wear full progressive glasses because they make me nauseous. I've thrown up on more planes, trains, boats and automobiles than I care to recall. I even have gotten ill while open water swimming when it was really windy/rough once (never during a race).

Guess what? I'm getting sea sick in the stupid pool!! 20 people swimming their hearts out in a small pool for 10 - 11 minutes is enough to make me motion sick. Go figure.

Next year I'm taking Dramamine!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

GLC, I will be able to tell my DH that someone else is as motion sick as he is! What we have figured out is that it's a vestibular issue. However, no one has found a cure for him. I hope the Dramamine works next time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I get motion sickness, too. Last year I spent a lot of time on boats. I used those pressure bands on my wrists and they were very effective.

I've tried just about every remedy out there. For me, it's mostly (though not all), visual. If I'm in a situation where I can keep my eyes closed, I can usually ride it out (like on an airplane), but clearly that doesn't work in a race. The bands don't work though I will admit to never having tried the Rx patch thing.

Last June we went to Kauai and kayaked the Na'pali coast. I had tried the non-drowsy formula of Dramamine for our helicopter trip and not only did it not work, but it left me feeling really ill for like 24 hours. For the kayak trip, I just went with regular old Dramamine and it WORKED! I got a little queasy when we were in a cave (and there was no horizon to see), but other than that, I was totally fine. It does make me drowsy, but if I'm doing something active, that's not really an issue. I know it'll work great for the tri next year. I can't wait to finally have a bike time in this race that I'll be happy with!!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom