Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

PSA - Ovarian Cancer

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I'm becoming the poster child for Ovarian Cancer. Today is World Ovarian Cancer day. I'm in the lucky 15%, I was diagnosed early at stage 1b. Share this with all the women in your lives ladies, and pay attention to your body, it just might be trying to tell you something.

Symptoms

Thank you for the reminder! That's wonderful that you caught it early!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Snap -- I'm also very glad that they caught it early. I'm wondering how, though -- did you have symptoms or did your doc notice something amiss? You may have already discussed this in another thread I missed, and if so, feel free to direct me there. This is SO important as it seems ovarian cancer is usually only detected in stages 3 and 4. Catching it earlier is a huge advantage.

Thanks!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I had what originally was thought to be appendicitis. When that turned out to be wrong, I went to my OB/Gyn. She did an ultrasound and they found an 11 cm ovarian cyst. It was removed along with my ovaries. Much to our surprise, the pathology report came back saying there was cancer in both ovaries (but not the cyst). I had a second surgery, a hysterectomy, and the path report for that was negative. All the cancer was in the ovaries and nowhere else. I had three chemotherapy sessions, for "insurance", as my oncologist called it.

So, it really was just pure luck that I was diagnosed so early. When I look back though, I did have some symptoms, pelvic/abdominal pain and frequent peeing, back pain etc. . I didn't know those could be symptoms. I figure the more information that's out there, the more we can pay attention to our own bodies and talk to the doctor if something seems amiss. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Good woman, Snap. Thank you.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Wow. Thanks for the info and am glad you're in the 15%.

Thanks so much for elaborating, snap. Did they actually operate to remove your appendix, or how did they determine that was NOT the problem initially?

SO glad they caught it and that you are doing well!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

One of the tough things about ovarian cancer is that the symptoms could be caused by other things:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20028096

A few years back I discussed the diagnostic blood test with my doctor. IIRC it's called a CA-125 test. He told me that it not originally developed for diagnostic purposes, and there's a fairly good chance it will return a false positive, so you need to be prepared for that if you decide you want to have the test.

I hope you're feeling better now that the chemo is done, Snap.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Sadly there are so many symptoms that are similar which makes it so hard to catch. I had an ovarian cancer scare in 2008, but the Pathology folks found that it was actually Adenomyosis (endometriosis of the uterus) after my surgery. I remember being told that ovarian cancer very often presents NO symptoms until it is very well developed, SO glad you are in the 15%! Are you feeling better now the chemo is over?

Ya know, it seems so long ago, I really can't remember how appendicitis was ruled out. Honestly, time from about October to January seems like a blur.

I'm feeling much better, still working on getting my energy back. I'll start back to the gym and the elliptical soon. My trainer had surgery, so I probably won't be able to work with her until June.

((((Snap)))) that sucks. I'm so glad you caught it early. I know that blur feeling. It goes by so fast and the memories fade, but it's still is always with you.

Thanks for posting your experience and symptoms. I'll be paying attention if I feel any of those!

Take care.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Very interesting to me, as I came on to search for experiences with returning to riding after laproscopy. I have a complex ovarian cyst that has some "suspicious" characteristics on US so my GYN has recommended removal and biopsy. She will likely be removing the entire ovary as it appears the ovary is entirely cystic. My surgery will be this week. My CA-125 test came back low, which is good, but she also said that the test misses 50% of early stage ovarian CA. Any tips on recovery and returning to riding are welcome! I currently have pretty good fitness, have been riding 10-15 hours a week.
    Thanks, and so glad that your CA was caught early.