Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

DeSoto cool wings

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm considering getting these (don't care for arm grippers) but can't seem to find a size chart.

Any suggestions? If you have a suggestion for a different brand I'm good with that as well.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I've got the sleeves (both DeSoto and Zoot) so I'm not sure how much the sizes relate. I don't run or ride in anything sleeveless, so a bolero wasn't an option for me. But one thing to know about the DeSoto fabric is that there's VERY little stretch to it.

Not that I really wanted to know how much upper body muscle I've lost since my shoulder injury ... but I just measured and I'm 11" above the bicep/below the delts, at the smallest part of my upper arm. Even though this is smaller than I was when I originally bought them, the Small would not even go on my arm, that's how tight they were. Size 3 "fits," but the sleeves are an odd shape, which wouldn't be an issue if you get the bolero.

Zoot fabric is very different and they behave differently getting "up to temperature." I don't know much about Houston's climate. I'm guessing it's pretty humid. I think in an arid climate, the DeSoto fabric might work better, but in moderate to high humidity they both get saturated pretty quickly, and once they're saturated both of them function pretty much equivalently.

The Zoot sleeves don't have grippers, just fabric-covered elastic at the top, and they stay up very well. The fabric is also stretchier. So if most of your jerseys have sleeves that might still be an option for you.

I've heard very good things about the Craft cooling garments too, but haven't even seen them IRL.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks Oak, that information is very helpful!
    2013 Electra Verse

I love my Cool Wings.

TE provides sizing information based on your upper arm measurement.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodDE_CW.html

Last year when I bought a new one, I ordered a medium based on my arm measurement but it was a bit small across the back. I was worried that the large would be too loose in the arms but I ordered one anyway and it ended up fitting fine.

If you're not sure what size to order, call TE and they will advise you.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I have the cool wings, but I don't remember choosing a size (I've had these for 7 or 8 years now, so maybe they were onesize back in the day?).

I will say that they sat in a drawer when I lived in NC because I found them to be no cooler than bare arms. Here in Oregon, they work fantastic. I chalk that up to a difference in humidity (we have very little here). I like them mostly for the sun protection but they are definitely cooler than bare arms when the sun beats down. I've actually worn them when gardening (back when we had the farm) and I was out there all day.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Here in the humid DC area, they are not cooler than bare arms in direct sunlight when you're not moving, but when you add the breeze you feel while riding, especially downhill, or you go into the shade, you can feel that they are cooler. I have also found that they keep my skin dry, even when the rest of me is drenched with sweat.

My only complaint is that they tend to yellow over time, and I think this is caused by contact with sunscreen. But every white cycling top I've worn has the same problem.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I should add that I don't sweat much, so that may be why they didn't do well for me in humidity. I just don't handle heat well (precisely because I don't sweat), so I'm an oddity in that regard.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I appreciate all the suggestions/advice. I'm actually a sun lover and do well in the heat overall, but I'm also very prone to skin problems, so I want to be as proactive as I can be.

PS NYBiker, I had an almost brand new jersey at Hotter N Hell last year and in the evening after the ride I noticed I had several yellow spots on the white of the jersey. I wasn't impressed considering I had paid $90 for that jersey.
    Last edited by thekarens; 05-08-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    2013 Electra Verse

I concur that they're no cooler than bare arms ... when I'm training for a fall marathon in 90° and humidity in the 70+%s, I have tried just taking them off.

But they're no hotter, either. And they keep my arms from burning.

Sunblocking creams that keep me from sweating are a bad idea in hot weather. And I don't really want to be carrying and re-applying sunblock on a long run, anyway.

It's great to be able to just put a tiny little bit of sunblock on the back of my neck, my nose and cheekbones, my décolletage if my shirt is cut lower, my lips and my ears, and leave my arms free to sweat.

I had the PI sleeves, and loathed them. Took-them-off-mid-ride hated them. These sorts of things didn't work well for me in a humid climate (SW Ohio). I sweat buckets and they get soaked. I also find them hotter than no sleeves, but I'm the sort of person who has deformed all of their sweatshirt sleeves by rolling them up. I haven't tried them down here, where I might suffer through them so that I don't feel like I'm developing melanoma every time I go outside for more than five minutes.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

My instinct is that they would be much different, and likely much cooler than bare arms, in an arid climate. Like, when you first put them on it's like there's a strong fan blowing on your arms, they're so much cooler than ambient. Once they're saturated, which happens to me in 10 minutes or so, the cooling effect is at equilibrium, so it's the same as bare arms.

But, I've never even seen the PI sleeves. The fabric of the DeSoto sleeves is very different from the Zoot, so I wouldn't be surprised if other brands are also very different.

The other thing is that any cooling garment must be skin tight. If it's not, it'll just trap heat, like those goofy gel bandanas.

I also tried arm coolers once, and they just didn't work for me. Brand was Sugoi, I think, which I usually like, but they were too tight at the top, and they just felt warm and clammy. So I go the sunscreen route -- luckily I tolerate it well, and the only bits that burn are the bits I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I'm considering getting these (don't care for arm grippers) but can't seem to find a size chart.

Any suggestions? If you have a suggestion for a different brand I'm good with that as well.
    I am a De Soto Femme Ambassador and I have a referral code for 25% discount if you want it. Just PM me. This goes for anyone else. I love their clothing, customer service, and their willingness to work with us. Especially on the women's line of clothing!

FYI - if you use the code, you cannot return the product. So make sure you know your size.

Now, as for the cool wings or any of their Skin Cooler fabric, it works best when SKIN TIGHT (I love the Skin Cooler LS shirt - just amazing!) and when it's wet. I'm in Hawaii so I know hot and I know humid and I know hot sun! I have used the cool wings in the Kona half ironman and the arm coolers at Ironman Cozumel and they are essential to keeping me cool. I run in the LS skin cooler in the heat of the day and keep it wet if I'm not already sweating through it. It's fantastic and no other arm coolers can compare for Hawaii sun/humidity/heat.

Denise
    Blogging about all things bike, run, travel related at:
    Be The Badger

2014 Lynskey ProCross (The Raven)
    2013 Cannondale Slice 5 (Father Christmas)

ask for my discount/referral codes!
    2014 MioGlobal Brand Champion
    2014 De Soto Femmebassador

I have used cool wings for many races and they were a life saver for me both in terms of sunburn but also for cooling. Dry, they do nothing to cool you but aren't any hotter either. But wet, they help a ton. When I was racing long distance tri I would soak them with water from sponges at every aid station and that made a huge difference. Mountain bike racing I used to provision for extra water to pour onto my sleeves. They do make a huge difference if you can take advantage of evaporation.

I think someone else gave you the link to the sizing information. If you are unsure, cheat towards the next largest size. I believe I use large (I'm 5'7" but quite muscular through my arms), they are snug but the length is good.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS