Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Dry Hand advice

Dry Hand advice

To disable ads, please log-in.

Not sure there is an answer but throwing it out. I wear full fingered Dakine Gloves for our adventure riding and they seem to suck all the moisture out of my hands.
    I haven't tired putting anti chafing cream on them but I think I will for next ride. I don't want to use a heavy cream (like bag balm) because then my hands will sweat in the gloves and
    drive me nuts.

Perhaps it is time to shop for another pair of full fingered gloves - suggestions? I can't wear "no fingers" every pair I have ever owned start to make my fingers go numb after about
    20 miles, the full fingered don't

thanks TE Ladies
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Hi Sky King,
    I have started using almond oil on my hands, legs, and even as a once-weekly deep hair conditioner, here is the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know if it will help you with the glove issue, but it may be worth checking out.

I don't know if this would help or not. With my competition kettlebell work I have to stay on top of my hands and calluses. The best cream I've found is actually sold in Lowes, and it is inexpensive since it is marketed for men. It is called O'Keeffe's Working Hands Hand Cream and it pretty much rocks. I also have very sensitive skin on my hands and am very happy with this.

I've a great pair of full finger Endura mtb gloves that I can't use any longer as I can't ride, you can see them here. I've the purple version. If you want them then they are yours. Right now what remains of my bike gear is in great disarray, so let me know if you are interested. Pretty sure they are a size small. Great gloves, very comfortable and I DID wear them for road riding sometimes, not just mountain biking.

You ladies are the best! My Dakine's are bike specific, they are a medium. Vented on the back but not the fingers or palm, very little padding - which I like. We go to Interbike in about 3 weeks so I will go look at the Endura's We don't carry due to the minimum order is $1,000 and that is alot of clothing for our little shop. But we are good friends with a shop owner who does carry Endura and he let's us order our personal stuff at cost.
    I haven't been wearing my gloves much, I couldn't when my finger was broken but now that the weather will start to get cooler I will need to research.
    I have been putting Gold Bond Foot cream on my hands isn't god awful greasy.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I don't know if this would help or not. With my competition kettlebell work I have to stay on top of my hands and calluses. The best cream I've found is actually sold in Lowes, and it is inexpensive since it is marketed for men. It is called O'Keeffe's Working Hands Hand Cream and it pretty much rocks. I also have very sensitive skin on my hands and am very happy with this.
    +1 on this stuff. My dermatologist recommended it for my dry feet, and I put it in holiday stockings last year. My whole family loves it now - and it has actually managed to heal small psoriatic patches on my elbows my dermatologist had recommended another, much more expensive cream for. It's not really a heavy cream either - sort of an odd texture.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Blueberry and Catrin, you just solved a medical mystery for me. I had this red, perfectly rectangular patch on the bottom of my right foot, since June. Then it became itchy and then scaly, then the scaliness spread to the surrounding area. First, I thought it was athlete's foot, treated it as such for 3-4 weeks. At times, the itching was unbearable. Certain shoes/sandals seem to make it worse. I've been avoiding going to my doctor I hate, or a podiatrist or dermatologist. It started getting better in the past 2 weeks, and yesterday, I realized it wasn't itching. I've also noticed slight patches of it in the middle of my palms, and it's worse after I ride. I wear gloves with absolutely no padding most of the time and I have gone up 2 sizes, since I started riding.
    So, I believe I have psoriasis and I just ordered some of that O'Keefe's stuff from Amazon.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    You ladies are the best! My Dakine's are bike specific, they are a medium. Vented on the back but not the fingers or palm, very little padding - which I like. We go to Interbike in about 3 weeks so I will go look at the Endura's We don't carry due to the minimum order is $1,000 and that is alot of clothing for our little shop. But we are good friends with a shop owner who does carry Endura and he let's us order our personal stuff at cost.
    I haven't been wearing my gloves much, I couldn't when my finger was broken but now that the weather will start to get cooler I will need to research.
    I have been putting Gold Bond Foot cream on my hands isn't god awful greasy.
    FWIW I've been wearing Endura half-finger cycling gloves as weight training gloves for the past few months and are very happy with them. The padding is very thin, and they don't have giant irritating inside seams like all the actual weight training gloves seem to have these days.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I have full fingered gloves with leather palms and crochet cotton tops.
    They are marketed for equestrian purposes, but I will keep using them for cycling as long as they are made!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    So, I believe I have psoriasis
    Could be eczema too. I get it in different forms on various parts of my body. Baby-powdering my hands before I put on MC gloves helps reduce humidity inside the gloves. Nübütte is wonderful for my butt for both prevention and healing; it's a terrific healing salve for any type of rash or abrasion. Cortisone cream if it gets super bad on my hands, but it rarely gets that bad, just ugly and embarrassing.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It's definitely not eczema. One of my kids has it and so does my brother, and my issue is different. My foot is getting scalier and less red, and less itching. In fact, I only notice it at night occasionally. I tried cortisone as one of my trials and it did nothing. It's definitely related to heat and/or humidity. It started in mid to late may.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

My dh is allergic to/intolerant of cow milk protein. Anything more than a very small dose of dairy makes his hands dry out like crazy. (Mind you, he won't put anything on them until the skin literally splits over his knuckles, but that's another story.) Just wanted to mention it.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I was just in a Hallmark store picking up a birthday card for my cousin, and they were selling O'Keefe's. There was a small display near the cash register.

(I probably should have picked some up, didn't think of it at the time.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Just letting you guys know that my O'Kefe's arrived yesterday, and after 2 applications, my foot already looks better.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Just letting you guys know that my O'Kefe's arrived yesterday, and after 2 applications, my foot already looks better.
    So glad this is working for you, it is amazing stuff! I know Lowes has a good price on it locally, and I have to wonder if it is because it is targeting men. Though, if they are now selling it at Hallmark, that makes me wonder if the prices will soon be going up. Great stuff!