Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Hi....I haven't been around for a long time

To disable ads, please log-in.

Life changed has changed and it has been a while since we have been able to ride - cancer diagnosis, our home was completely destroyed in a tornado last year and we were busy recreating a new life. We have 2 road bikes and 2 mixtes, all of which have been in storage. We finally brought the mixtes home today with the intention of getting back into riding.

We stopped at the local bike shop for some chain oil and after looking around we are considering selling all 4 bikes to purchase 2 comfort bikes. Health issues cause us to need bikes more for comfort than speed. Hubby has always had issues with neck pain on his road bike and we think an upright bike would be better suited for him now.

Our local dealers sell Trek and Giant. We looked at the Trek Verve 2 today and on a quick test ride, it was nice. I had a Trek FX 7.3 a few years back but never rode it much so I sold it. The Verve 2 seems to be smoother and more upright.

There are other dealers with other brands not far from here. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for bikes we should check out and the best bang for the buck?

We will be selling a gorgeous Lotus mixte and a Legnano mixte, both of which were reworked when purchased.

We will also be selling a 2007 Trek Pilot 1.0 and a 2007 Jamis Aurora, both with low miles and in mint condition. The Trek Pilot has all the original specs and the Jamis does too but I have added nice Continental Gatorskin hardshell tires in a smaller size. (I forget the size and the bike is in storage still.)

I have no idea what to ask for these and hope someone can give some guidance on pricing these as well. Thanks so much in advance.

Sandra
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

Sandra--welcome back.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Welcome back, so sorry to hear about your troubles. Glad you're getting back on wheels and I hope you find a great new bike that makes you feel like you're flying!

Electra Townie 7D

Thank you! I know there is a wealth of information here and am hoping to get suggestions before purchasing. That's how I ended up getting my Jamis and I do love it. I just think we would do more riding on a different style bike now.

You might try looking at bicycle blue book to get a general idea of your bikes worth.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Welcome back! Bikes are only "worth it" if you feel comfy and ride regularly. I say go for it if your find something that makes riding more fun and comfy.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Sandra, I remember you and am glad to see you back. So sorry to hear about the health issues and the tornado -- yowzers. That's a lot to come back from.

I am glad you're trying to get back into cycling. The bicycle blue book site mentioned above is something I just found out about recently and may help you price your bikes you hope to sell. The link is: http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Default.aspx

You may find buyers through craigslist, which is much easier than selling on ebay and having to deal with shipping. I'd certainly try craigslist first. Make sure to take photos and include information on the frame size, mileage, condition, etc. of the bike. The more information you can provide the better targeted your ad will be -- and likely the better buyers you will attract.

Good luck, and please stick around!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thank you Emily! I remember so many of the members here too even though it has been a while. I've really missed riding.

I just listed them all on Craigslist tonight. I know about all of the specs of the Trek Pilot and the Jamis Aurora but I have no idea about the old mixtes. I can't remember the frame size or the particulars. Our local bike shop may be interested in buying them because they sell used bikes so that might work too.

Anyone with any comfort bike suggestions to test? Please chime in.

I tried a couple of comfort bikes but they felt mushy and cumbersome, even bought a Trek Allant last year. Found it very uninspiring so I decided to try something more zippy and see if I could modify it for comfort. Bought and am loving a Trek 7.4FX WSD; changed out the saddle for a Terry and had the shop put on a higher riser for the bars, made it more comfortable and am loving it, very zippy and fun!

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks Pax! That is an idea I hadn't thought of. I had the Trek 7.3 FX WSD and didn't care for it. The shifting was not really smooth but I probably should have gone up to the 7.4 FX. Do you know the specs on the higher riser you used? Did it make a good bit of difference? Which Terry saddle do you have?

I appreciate the info so much!

Don't know the specs on the riser, I just asked for the tallest I could get, if that hadn't done the trick they were going to get me a stem that was angled up more. There's lots they can do to make if more comfy.

I ride a Terry Cite X saddle, it's the third one I've purchased, it's wide and comfy and the cut out keep the pressure away. On my old roadie I rode a Terry Falcon X, it did NOT translate well to the upright riding position on the FZ.

BTW - I test rode both and it was a night and day difference between the 7.3 and the 7.4, much better wheels and shifting is like butter on the 7.4. I looked at the 7.5 but it was really just a flat bar roadie, felt more aggressive and was more than I needed.

Electra Townie 7D

Awesome, thanks. A bike shop owner just offered me $1100 cash for all of them or $1350 store credit for all. We'll go see what he has.

I ended up with the 2014 Giant Escape 1W. I really like this shop and he ended up making me a good deal. We made a few modifications. The Giant just can't be compared to my Jamis Aurora. Due to the nature of the cassette and the sprockets being further apart than the road bike, the shifting never will be as smooth but it's ok and very comfortable.

I would say no more bikes but I know better than to say that.

Glad you found a bike you like, Sandra, and I hope it works out for you. But don't forget, it's not real until you post a photo!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I will get one as soon as this stormy weather passes. I know this stock photo does not count but it is black with pink stripes. I got a rack added to the back and I need a bag. Any recommendations?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Escape_1_W_DD_black.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	17062