Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

We took them to the Trace this morning and they are PERFECT! Exactly what we were looking for. I was apprehensive yesterday until we had our first real ride but it was good to know we made the right decision. I love mine and hubby is very happy with his.

No matter how old we get, riding my bike with the sun on my face and the wind in my hair takes my mind to a happy place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	17063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	17064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	17065
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

Very cool, glad you found the right ride.

Electra Townie 7D

Nice!

I have a Blackburn waterproof bag that I got for a song on Competitive Cyclist and it's great for what I use it for (commuting and groceries) and it's not too heavy as a do-everything bag for weekend riding. I just usually keep it on the bike everyday. It's not super spendy and not an Ortlieb (beautiful bags but not in my budget right now) and while it looks "smaller", I fit an entire two bags of groceries in the one pannier yesterday at the store!
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

It's pretty! The Arkel Tailrider is an excellent trunk bag and extremely durable -- ours are still going strong after 10 years. The last I looked, though, it still only comes in red so not the best color for your bike with its pink accents. I am sure others will chime in!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Gotta stay coordinated! I never realized it would be so hard to find a bag with a little touch of pink.

Is it crazy that I already want to change to hot pink Jagwire cables? Or would that be too much? .... and it might not even match.

I've an Arkel Tailrider, and it is a very durable trunk bag. Not too big, but it holds more than you think it will as it does expand a bit. Mine is red - I've HEARD that it is available in black but I've not seen that myself.

Yes, we have a red and a black one. I can't remember which one is mine, as it's not on my bike all of the time. I don't use it for commuting, because it won't hold all of my clothes and work stuff. Plus, I ride that bike for regular road rides and I hate having it on for that, unless we are going far, need a change of clothes. I find it hard to put on and take off. So, that's why I use my pannier which is huge, to commute. It came from REI and was not that much $. It just snaps on. The Arkel has straps that need to loop through certain ways, and truthfully, I can never remember how to do it!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I don't find the Arkel Tailrider to be hard to put on and take off at all, but mine is an older model, and they may have changed the mechanism. It's not huge, agreed, but I love all the pockets and the velcro on back, the visibility factor, and the the fact that it has a built-in rain cover. It's just incredibly well-built. And it does expand to be quite a bit bigger than it appears, but is still not a big bag. Perfect for the layers of clothes you might peel off, though, snacks, wallet, that sort of thing. And we've brought quite a bit of smaller food items back in ours on errand rides.
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    We took them to the Trace this morning and they are PERFECT! Exactly what we were looking for. I was apprehensive yesterday until we had our first real ride but it was good to know we made the right decision. I love mine and hubby is very happy with his.

No matter how old we get, riding my bike with the sun on my face and the wind in my hair takes my mind to a happy place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	17063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	17064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	17065
    Great photos! Glad you're so happy with your new bikes. I love the color scheme of yours. I assume you are wearing a helmet since your DH has one on in the photo, but since you mentioned wind in your hair...
    Emily

Oh yes, I'm wearing a helmet. No worries! We wore these same helmets when the tornado was destroying our house with us inside it.

I've not had a problem attaching my Tailrider to my rack - but there does need to be holes in the rack at the appropriate places.

There are spaces for the straps, it's just that I am not intuitive about this kind of stuff. I would have to do it many times to remember. I still have to stop and think about how to do the velcro straps for my headlight battery. If I am going out early in the AM, or will need it to ride home from work, I strap it on the night before, not in the morning, because I have to give myself some extra time.
    I like the Trail Rider for rides that are long, I have snacks, lunch, and clothing, or I might stop and buy something small. When we went to the San Juan Islands, we used them, but on the days we rode places and then hiked, we had to bring the panniers, too, as we could not fit our hiking shoes in there, with the other stuff. Most of the time I throw my stuff in DH's Arkel, because I am so lazy.
    Last edited by Crankin; 04-30-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    Oh yes, I'm wearing a helmet. No worries! We wore these same helmets when the tornado was destroying our house with us inside it.
    Now that's dual-purpose! I am so sorry about your house...how incredibly scary. But glad you had bike helmets, and are wearing them when you ride as well. Safety first!
    Emily

Great color scheme! Looks like a nice place for riding those bikes also. I'm happy you found ones that fit and feel good to ride.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75