Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

REI "garage sale" goodies

To disable ads, please log-in.

Two weeks ago I found the Surly LHT in a serendipitous moment at the bike swap meet. And that meant my husband and I could think about trying some bike touring, but we only have a large big car-camping style tent.

So this week, I went to the annual REI "garage sale" in hopes of finding a tent that would work for bike-touring. We have been using the REI credit card for some temporary big expenses that we paid back right away, and we had $89 in dividend credit to apply to our purchases.

I got there 20 minutes after they opened and I only found one tent that might work- I looked at it - just a few snags in the mesh on the door and carried it around for a little bit. I put it back because it was a 4 person tent and we just don't need one that large. Apparently, other shoppers also picked up tents and put them back because- Oh look- an REI Half-Dome 2 (same tent but the two person version) with a label that read: "used once, returned because it's too heavy" (5 lbs). That was one of the 3 brand new tents we had been considering - and it was less than the amount of our credit - in essence with the dividend credit - it was FREE!

I also found a good deal on a sleeping bag that is smaller and lighter than any that we already had and will also be better for bike-camping.

So I left feeling pretty lucky.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

There's an REI around here?

You've been having excellent luck lately! Awesome!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

That's awesome! I think at some point we will also try bike camping but right now, we are just car camping. You will have to let us know how it goes!
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Owlie- You are pretty close to REI- it's at Tucson Mall- It's south of River, between Stone and Oracle. Take River to Stone, go south on Stone and there you are.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Excellent purchase, azfiddle!

We considered going to the REI garage sale here in Overland Park, KS, but decided that it would be a zoo. We went there on their grand opening day in the fall (new store), and had to park SO far away, and the lines were CRAZY. And there wasn't much we really needed this time, although it's always fun to look. I'd already spent our dividend on stuff we needed anyway...oh well. Hope you and your DH can put that tent to good use. That's a good one -- I remember from when we were looking at tents awhile back.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

People start lining up hours before the scratch and dent sale starts, around here. There are amazing deals to be had. I routinely do small repairs on items purchased there that turn something into fully serviceable at a great deal kind of gear.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    Owlie- You are pretty close to REI- it's at Tucson Mall- It's south of River, between Stone and Oracle. Take River to Stone, go south on Stone and there you are.
    I clearly don't get out much.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I did hear that REI is getting stricter on returns, It seems some of the stuff is really "garage sale". Great job on the tent. We are Hennesay Hammock users which is great when we have trees. All the Desert riding we've been doing lately has me using my hammock as a bivy sack so I just purchased a sleeping pad at Sierra Trading Post - using it this coming weekend. Interesting that Sierra Trading Post can sell stuff for less than I can buy wholesale through our bike gear distributors, some the same with REI so we decided to keep our store focus on racks, bags, panniers, bikes etc and not venture into bike camping gear.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    People start lining up hours before the scratch and dent sale starts, around here.
    I'd forgotten until I read this that we heard that people might be camping out the night before...that's when we decided no way we wanted to be in that kind of consumer madness. I avoid Black Friday on principle, and this sounded similar.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

the deals can be pretty spectacular.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

We're getting an REI in two weeks!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I think that half my gear and clothes came from REI Garage Sales. I've gotten some awesome things for cheap cheap there over the years. Too many to list them all. Right now I'm wearing an Isis fleece jacket that I got for $4.

We have a tiny REI here in town. Walking distance from my apt even. They used to have large garage sales every few months. Now they have a small inside garage sale every Saturday. I try to stop by and check it out. I have $40 dividend plus a $20 gift card to spend sometime. I seldom shop retail at REI.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

I did hear that REI is getting stricter on returns,
    ...considering that some people have abused the heck out of the program, I am not surprised. However, as a repair facility, I see real inconsistencies in what they will or will not take back under warranty. I've even sat down the manager and asked them to explain why item A gets warrantied and item B doesn't, and I can't get a straight answer.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Well, I was happy they took back the x country ski boots that ripped my feet to shreds!
    I've never been successful finding clothing there. Everything is just too big. But, we've bought camping equipment and things like Camelbaks there, as well as our skis.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I wouldn't qualify that as abuse. It's the folks that do the whole PCT and then take their tent back saying "it didn't hold up" or similar. Years of use (not abuse) and then a return... that's what ruins it for legitimate returns.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2