Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

are cyclists snobs?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went on a ride earlier this week and passed three woman on bicycles. I feel kind of excited when I pass other cyclists. - kind of a kindred spirit sort of thing. So I smiled and lifted my fingers in greeting and was ignored every time I was on my hybrid (due to road conditions) but so what? I'm still a cyclist. What gives? When you pass other cyclists esp. women do you greet them?

Some cyclists are snobs, some aren't. Some cyclists greet, some don't. It is possible their attention was focused elsewhere and didn't notice? For me, it was a LONG time before I felt comfortable about taking EITHER hand off of the bar - having my Camelbak really helped with that In the end there really isn't any way of knowing, so try not to worry about it.

Not really "worried" about it. I was just trying to be friendly. My mother raised me to be polite

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly5 View Post
    Not really "worried" about it. I was just trying to be friendly. My mother raised me to be polite
    I hear you! It can be disconcerting though when you try to be friendly and don't get any response.

There are definite patterns around this, based on where you are, gender, what kind of bike you are riding, your clothing. In cold, early season, or in the dark, everyone waves. When I commute, other commuters wave, even though I am on a road bike/dressed in lycra, but I have a pannier. I notice more groups of men, out for training rides, are saying hi to me, or "have a good ride/nice day." Single male riders, not so much. I find women say hi/wave less.
    Sometimes I just nod my head, but I do acknowledge. There are so many riders around here, especially in the places where I go for shorter rides, that I just don't wave to everyone. Of course, for me, this runs the risk I don't say hi to someone I know! DH and I rode right by She Fly a couple of weeks ago.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I pass so many cyclists on my commute most days that greeting them would like trying to wave to every car driver on the road. I tend to glance up and see if they're one of the regulars, though. But if I'm biking in the woods and haven't seen anyone for an hour or two of course I'll look up and smile if I see someone, on foot or cycling. It really depends on the surroundings.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

people are people, some are friendly, some are nice and few meanies. Only time I can remember when some one was not nice was a weekend warrior on a very expensive bicycle. I guess I ruined his fantasy of riding like Miguel Induran the train when I chicked him. Maybe I was the meanie for chicking him.

Oh the other times were at Death ride. bunch of Yahoo wanna be jump the gun and start before the official start time hoping that they can finish the ride before they got swept off the course. Nothing more demoralizing than seeing a broom attached to the front bumper on a car and its coming up fast behind your rear...

So like others said, maybe it was too hard, didn't see or just too tiring to say hi back to everyone they see.

don't fret over it. Maybe it was just one of those days.

Unless it's really inconvenient, I smile and wave to almost every one- no matter what kind of bike/ clothes they have. I try to wave or nod back to other people. Most cyclists around Tucson seem to be pretty friendly in that way.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I have been told I am a very polite cyclist because I signal to walkers on the trail, wave/smile, and thank people if I pass. I'm very friendly to pretty much all types of people since I love riding bikes so much. That said, if the BF is out by himself, he will likely not talk to people since he's quiet.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

I don't think all of it is snobness but being in your own bubble sometimes. I may look at you and not even "see" you.

I'll greet (mostly a hi or head nod) sometimes. I'm so concentrated on where I'm looking that I don't see much of the scenery. haha BUT! It is very important for me to thank each driver, or cyclist that took the time to stop and let me cross the road or whatever. I do the same if someone is coming towards me through bike path where there is some sort of a gate (to prevent vehicules to get on path) and I know is faster than me and on top of this clipped. So I free him the way. Same when they come downhill to a tight spot. I give them the right of way if I'm going downhill and they have to go up. Common sense. And they thank you for this.

I try to treat others like I'd like to be treated.

But yes, there are some snobs and it's not because they have better stuff than you do. They are just like that.

If I'm out on the highway for a long road ride I'll wave to other cyclists because it's less common to see people doing that, but not in town on the pathways/road lanes. As someone else pointed out, that would be like a motorist waving to every other motorist on a busy highway.
    Queen of the sea beasts

This is one of my pet peeves. I wave at EVERY cyclist I see on the roads/trails, etc. Always and without question. Unfortunately, not a lot of other riders in this area do the same, and for some reason, it really irritates me . I know - first world problems. And Crankin - not too worry!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Think about it this way… do you wave to every other driver when you are in your car…. are you a snobby driver? There are tons of cyclists here. If I waved to every one of them, I'd hardly have my hands on my handlebars - and most of them would likely just give me a weird look anyway.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Think about it this way… do you wave to every other driver when you are in your car…. are you a snobby driver? There are tons of cyclists here. If I waved to every one of them, I'd hardly have my hands on my handlebars - and most of them would likely just give me a weird look anyway.
    No, I don't but I was talking about 3 people not 100. If I'm cycling on a bike path I don't acknowledge every person I pass because obviously there are too many. I just thought it odd that other cyclists passing each other on the open road wouldn't acknowledge one another.