Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly5 View Post
    No, I don't but I was talking about 3 people not 100. If I'm cycling on a bike path I don't acknowledge every person I pass because obviously there are too many. I just thought it odd that other cyclists passing each other on the open road wouldn't acknowledge one another.
    in situations like this I do to and throw in a few words.

I'm reminded of a time when I was out alone on my road bike, wearing my cycling gear, and I passed someone going the other direction. He was in dirty street clothes riding a battered standard. I waved and nodded as I went by. But he'd already made up his mind that I wasn't going to, to the extent that he didn't even look for my wave before he sarcastically sneered Good Morning at my back. Now, who was the snob there?

Ride your own bike. Wave if you want. Don't wave if you don't want to. Life's too short to spend it judging other people.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Ride your own bike. Wave if you want. Don't wave if you don't want to. Life's too short to spend it judging other people.
    +1, well put.

Some wave, some don't. I rarely see people on the trail out here so when I do, I greet them. When riding on the rural roads I wave at the trucks to acknowledge their presence and so they know I'm mostly harmless. Most of the guys in the trucks wave first so I always make sure to wave back. Sometimes it's so easy to get focused on your riding you totally miss your surroundings.

I rarely wave to other cyclists, but I'm usually in Manhattan and there are a lot of cyclists.

Are cyclists snobs in general? I don't think so -- because cyclists often offer help if I'm stopped and look like there's even a slight chance I might need something. To me, that is far more important than waving.

I did experience something like snobbery when I took my Xootr on a rail trail in the suburbs -- a few cyclists were literally snickering at me. I gave them a big smile.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post

Oh the other times were at Death ride. bunch of Yahoo wanna be jump the gun and start before the official start time hoping that they can finish the ride before they got swept off the course. Nothing more demoralizing than seeing a broom attached to the front bumper on a car and its coming up fast behind your rear...
    Back when I attempted the Death Ride, I started out around 4 am. So I guess you can lump me in with those Yahoo wanna-be's who jumped the gun and started before the official start time hoping I could finish the ride before I got swept off the course. And yes, it was pretty damn demoralizing, thank you very much.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Back when I attempted the Death Ride, I started out around 4 am. So I guess you can lump me in with those Yahoo wanna-be's who jumped the gun and started before the official start time hoping I could finish the ride before I got swept off the course. And yes, it was pretty damn demoralizing, thank you very much.
    , Jo.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Ya know… I'm actually a bit bothered by the idea that people who are simply not socially outgoing are being instantly labeled snobby….some of us are introverts, it's nothing to do with you personally, we just don't necessarily interact with strangers all that readily…..
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Well it certainly is a pity if not being greeted is taken to mean that the other person feels superior. It could be the other way around - the other person could be struggling with his or her bike, or tired, or lost, or just deep in thought - I spend lots of my commute mulling stuff over. Or just concentrating. I probably look quite fierce when I'm working hard and deep inside my own head, and not expecting to meet anyone I know. I'd probably get around to greeting somebody back 500 metres after they'd passed...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Ya know… I'm actually a bit bothered by the idea that people who are simply not socially outgoing are being instantly labeled snobby….some of us are introverts, it's nothing to do with you personally, we just don't necessarily interact with strangers all that readily…..
    Or that everyone is always able to smile and be engaging all the time. I am a super extroverted and generally friendly person but while I was studying for my PhD comprehensives, I took my daily walk to Starbucks from my office because I desperately needed a break and was deep in thought as I was walking. A guy came up to me and actually TOLD me to smile. When I ignored him, he screamed "stuck up b*tch!" at me and ran off. That's an extreme example but it still makes you think. I also know a guy who is one of the nicest, friendliest people you could meet but everyone who doesn't really "know" him thinks he's mean because his face is just a little severe.

This is one of those things where I try to think about OTHER reasons people could be preoccupied.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    Or that everyone is always able to smile and be engaging all the time. I am a super extroverted and generally friendly person but while I was studying for my PhD comprehensives, I took my daily walk to Starbucks from my office because I desperately needed a break and was deep in thought as I was walking. A guy came up to me and actually TOLD me to smile. When I ignored him, he screamed "stuck up b*tch!" at me and ran off. That's an extreme example but it still makes you think. I also know a guy who is one of the nicest, friendliest people you could meet but everyone who doesn't really "know" him thinks he's mean because his face is just a little severe.

This is one of those things where I try to think about OTHER reasons people could be preoccupied.
    Sheesh. Sounds like the guy you encountered on the street is the one with a problem. I agree that people shouldn't assume somebody is snobby just because they don't greet everyone as they ride/run/walk/whatever...lots of more likely reasons as others have already stated, and it's awfully unfair to judge people by one little passing thing like that.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

That smile thing is just garden variety street harassment. It's one of the things that gets a lot of play in the Hollaback movement. That you don't hear it every day, any more, is a testament to how well the anti-street-harassment efforts have been working.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    That smile thing is just garden variety street harassment. It's one of the things that gets a lot of play in the Hollaback movement. That you don't hear it every day, any more, is a testament to how well the anti-street-harassment efforts have been working.
    Another reason to thank the feminist movement and a reason we still need it for sure. But yes, that's just an extreme example.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    This.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Well I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess it was just a combination of my own insecurities and newbie enthusiasm.