Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    I'm such not a fan of these sports gels, etc. I don't really know if it is that good or just a good marketing product... like a "oh you must take that if you exercise a lot". Couldn't we find something better and less expensive. I mean those Nu Vanilla thing are like $2 each and the bars just as much, if not much. Anyway, I'll give it a shot and go from there.
    The sports gels and chews are definitely not cheap, but they are good for a few reasons -- they don't go bad in hot weather, are easy to carry and quick to ingest, and they are formulated to get into your bloodstream quickly. Even if you mostly rely on real foods, it can be helpful to have a few packets of Gu (or something similar) for times when you are really bonking and you need energy fast.

Make sure you drink some water with the gels and stuff that you try. If you decide that you like them, you might be able to find them at a better price by buying in bulk online.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks again.

I did try the Vanilla gel and the type of peanut butter bar. I just can't. We'll take them along (as hubby always has those anyway with his rides).

I will make myself something from scratch that I know I will eat. I will have those water supplement drinks, etc. I should be ok. Good breakfast, some on the road snacks when we stop for a minute at those check points and then they have the big party with food at arrival. I should be doing ok. I'll eat while cycling those sports gummy bears.

I tested my waterpack backpack today on my trainer to get a feel and it was great. Not that much extra weight even with that 2l container. At least I know I'll drink while riding as I still can't let go to get my bottle in the cage. And I don't want to stop all the time to get a sip. So this is perfect.

TBC...

I like dried apricot halves on long rides. They aren't very sweet, they're full of potassium, and they don't take up much room in my pocket or wedge pack. I add some almonds or other nuts to the bag for protein and a little fat and salt. A little goes a long way with these foods.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Thank you. These I could eat easily. yam...