Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help! Need saddle advice!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh boy...it's been a really long time since I last posted on this forum! Life, work, and riding just got in the way. But now that another riding season has finally begun, I find myself doubting my saddle (once again). I'm still riding my trusty Specialized Ruby 155...the same saddle I've ridden on numerous bikes I have owned over the last several years. This is my second full year of riding my Seven Axiom SL with the Ruby. Prior to that, the Ruby was on a Cannondale Synapse that I parted ways with for the Seven. My first ride of this season was on March 15th. I've probably been out about a dozen times so far this season...with the first few rides being about 25-30 miles, and the last few rides building up to 77 miles. My sit bones and lady bits have not been very happy lately. After each ride, I am red, tender, and irritated. Even showering is quite painful in that area. Nothing has changed in the chamois department. I'm still wearing the same bottoms I wore in past years - Terry Bella shorts, Rapha shorts, Giordana Silverline knickers, Gore shorts, and a few older PI Select knickers & tights on colder mornings. I'm still using DZNuts Bliss as my chamois cream, and I apply it liberally. I recently noticed that Terry just came out with a new Butterfly Century saddle. It has peaked my interest. My very first saddle was a Butterfly, but I honestly haven't ridden one in about 6 years or so. I'm not sure how my butt would react after having been on a Ruby for the past 3 years. Has anyone here had an opportunity to test out this new Century saddle by Terry? And if so, what are your thoughts? I do know that it is a quite a bit narrower than my current 155 Ruby, and that does concern me. I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks ladies!

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Hey there-
    I have been using the Lithia 155 for 3 years, and completed a 200 mile ride with not much problem. Started outside this year, and got boils
    and pain where the leg meets pelvis at the crease. Another fit, with my same fitter, and he said I needed a much wider saddle. The Brooks b17
    was good in that regard, but my sit bones HATED it for 150 miles, so back to the drawing board. I now have the newer Lithia that comes in at 168mm.
    So far, so good, but only a few miles in. My guess is that a ton of women ride saddles that don't actually support their bones, and that comes from my fitter as
    well, and he is known around the US for his skill. Good luck...the "trying out" period really stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Is this the same saddle you inherited from Kermit several years ago? The minimal saddles from Specilized don't last that long. I think you might just need a new one. I've gone through FOUR in the same amount of time, and you ride much longer distances than I do.

Oh, and hey there. Good to 'see' you again!
    Shorts can wear out, too.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Is this the same saddle you inherited from Kermit several years ago?
    Actually, no it isn't. I managed to pick up another Ruby 155 at a local Specialized dealer last year, so it's not that old.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I haven't tried a Terry saddle in years, but I think they offer a guarantee so you don't stand to lose much by trying it. According to their website it's 152mm, so not much narrower than the Ruby.

Was the Ruby uncomfortable last year, or is this a recent problem?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hi everybody! Well...it's rather difficult to suggest a given type of saddle, since every woman has to find the one that best fits her needs and body! So, my tip is: read the tips by other people, then try try try until you find the perfect one!