Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2014 Beginning Running/Trail Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

It seemed time to start a new thread for the year, and I thought we might have some other beginning trail runners who might like to join in.

While it seems like it is taking me forever to get myself conditioned, it was A VERY LONG TERRIBLE WINTER, which means that I didn't run outside for a LONG time.

Today I went to a local state park that has some beautiful mountain bike trails, miles and miles of them Way too many for me to be able to run just yet, but it also means that I am not stuck on running the same trail multiple times. I also got my season's pass which is good for all state parks. I am trying to still follow my training schedule, but I had a 3 week hiatus due to illness, and I've a trail 5K on May 31. I also have the Dirty Girl Mud Run/5 K on May 17. I am a bit concerned I won't be ready due to that 3 week running break, but we will see. I am not concerned about the Dirty Girl as the running will be broken up a lot, both by obstacles, and time spent waiting to go through the obstacles, and also a good deal of laughing I suspect.

Today I ran a total of 25 minutes, not counting my 5 minute walking breaks after each 10 minute block. This trail is, shall we say, more topologically interesting than at my first park, as the loop in question is an intermediate mountain bike trail. Not only that, but I helped to build it from scratch, so I've a very different perspective running it! I remember when I was literally hanging almost by my teeth from the side of a very steep hill clearing debris for those cutting the trail into the hillside. Wild, good times!

My cranky knee waited much longer to start complaining than last year, but I do need to pay close attention to it on the uphills. I am not getting paid to do this, so I will do what I need to do to not blow my knee out. If that means I walk more uphills than run, then so be it.

I REALLY enjoyed myself today, and found myself remembering what it was like to ride the same trail. I was thankful to have my waist hydration pack with the 22 ounce bottle as it gave me the confidence to travel further from my car than I ever have. The actual running part of my route today was just under 2 miles ;-) At one point I had a 12 minute pace That may not be THAT fast, but it certainly is for me

So what do you runners think? If I am still just under 2 miles a month out from my 5K trail run "race", is it realistic to expect myself to be able to run the full distance by then? I will be happy with my efforts either way, just trying to decide as a very new runner what is realistic to expect from myself.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-19-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I think you'll be able to do it. Isn't trail running great? I had a nice run today myself, on the trails in town.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Catrin,
    Just as a frame of reference, we did two very big trail races last year and everybody except the top, top pro-type athletes walked up hills at some point. And I mean everybody. It was hard for me to wrap my brain around at first, but I figured, heck, some of these folks just about do this for a living and they obviously know something that I don't know. When I trained, I tried really, really hard not to walk.

At the North Face Challenge I got on the wheel of this teeny tiny woman that was booking it, and she too walked the hills, HOWEVER, just as she crested, she started to run again. All the other racers would take an extra 30 secs to keep trudging. Just that little tiny difference got her way ahead. So I just stuck with her and it worked. trudge, trudge, trudge and then off you go!

You will do great. If you are running two miles now, you will be fine by race day. Just enjoy your time in the woods before it gets hot. After the winter we have all had, we deserve this time right now. If you have to walk the hills, just embrace it.....trudge, trudge, trudge and off you go!

This is really good information, thank you! This gives me permission to do what I know I should be doing anyway

I just wanted to pop in and say I love trail running!!! It's pretty much all the running I do aside from treadmill runs. Hills, I have a love/hate relationship with them. Going up I'm usually muttering "I hate hills... I hate hills" but going down I'm all "OMG I LOVE HILLS!!" You'll find your stride on them with experience. Sometimes I walk them, sometimes run, sometimes a combo. It all depends on my heart rate/breathing rate.

I don't have a problem with heart rate or breathing - I am a rather slow runner - I go by how my knee is feeling whether I run uphill or not. It IS taking longer for it to start getting cranky That being said, what passes for hills on the mountain bike trails I am currently running are short and rolling. I know where the longest/steepest climbs are and I've not tried those trails yet. I will though, I will. And I won't be ashamed to walk them! I KNOW that I will have to pay much closer attention to HR and breathing. One of those hills on a very cool mountain bike trail has seen my HR > 155 WALKING it! The trail in that direction has a reputation. I never did attempt it on the bike as it was beyond my skill level and I knew that.

One thing about all my sports related injuries these past 5 years, I now listen to my body, it got the point across