Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry Almost died tonight... had a panic attack

To disable ads, please log-in.

My boyfriend and I were finishing up a beautiful 12 mile ride right by our house (a block from our favorite LBS and .5 miles from where we live) and some idiot pulls up along side of me trying to pass in a construction zone (it's a 2 lane road getting roadwork). This road is usually really, really quiet which is why we take it but it has cars because it's still 6:30 at night. So, he pulls up next to me and then drops back, almost clipping me in the process. I shout ahead to my BF that this guy is going to try to pass but I'm not going to let him because he was going to kill us both. The BF is in an awkward location and drops back. I'm still halfway clipped in, going uphill, so I can't stop. I just have to go. I wasn't nervous at that point, I figured he wouldn't be brazen enough to pass.

As I take the lane and make this guy aware of oncoming traffic - signalling with my hand for him to drop back, he doesn't Instead, he almost clips my boyfriend and screams a$$hole at him and then calls me the c-word. He also tries to come up while there is oncoming traffic, signage for the lane closures, etc. I'm freaking out at this point as the car ahead stops to make a left turn. I breathe a sign of relief but then this car still tries to pass, almost running me over to get past that car. I don't give an inch because I can't. He finally drops back and I flip him the bird hoping that this time he will MAYBE realize how serious that was. It wasn't the "right" thing to do but I was so scared that I think it was my only way to show him "hey, you could have KILLED me". He pulls up beside me as I am still hill climbing, window rolled down, on his CELL PHONE and starts screaming at me and telling me he could have killed me but he didnt. He starts to "educate" me on why the bird is rude, I say nothing about his language. He tells me my boyfriend is a sh*thead and that I'm lucky he didn't kill him. I very, very kindly with as much calm as I can muster ask him to please leave. He won't. I say it a bit louder. And again and again. I just want him to leave because he is on the phone, very close to me, and not paying attention to oncoming traffic. I really have nowhere to go and as I drop back, he does too. The boyfriend is now trying to catch up as I am SCREAMING bloody murder that if he doesn't leave I will call the cops. We finally get up to a stop with backed up traffic and he does go ahead but only up inches ahead of me.

I at this point am narrowly holding it together but he is leaning out the window SCREAMING that he wished I could see how stupid I look (with expletives). I am screaming now to make a scene as other drivers look on telling him I will call the cops if he doesn't leave me alone and that this man is dangerous and I need him to leave, I've asked him to leave but he is scaring me. The boyfriend finally reaches where I am and I am now all-out having a panic attack and the guy can drive but won't. The boyfriend says we will call the cops if he doesn't leave. He laughs at me but he does leave (finally) and I calm down.

I'm so, so glad we are okay but I am terrified of this guy coming around (illogical I know but I have PTSD and this was particularly triggering for some reason). I got his plate and everything. I even screamed it over and over again to let him know I knew it to try to get him to leave. I know my BF was there but since he missed all of the conversation the driver had with me and much of the scary stuff, he was very out of the loop and unaware of what was happening, so he wasn't sure what he could do. After me screaming the plate, he finally took off.

By far, that is the scariest encounter I have ever had with a motorist and I've had some doozies in my many, many years of road riding in the city and in the country as both a teen and an adult. We didn't call the cops because I KNOW they won't do anything and it's his word against mine, plus I flipped him off which I knew I shouldn't do. I just couldn't help it. I was scared and angry and hoped he would do what everyone else who gets that dangerous treatment does and fly right by me pissed off (which is probably about 5 people max because I don't generally do that, but still).
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Call the cops and report him. You have the plate number. Take control of the situation. I hope you are okay.

+1. Call the cops. He needs to be reported whether or not they "do anything." He may do it again, and you want *them* to have recourse.

And take care of yourself. (((((Colorisnt)))))
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

That is crazy scary. I'm sorry you had that experience.

Another vote for calling the cops and at least having a complaint on file. It doesn't change what happened to you but it may help someone in the future if this seemingly deranged individual does hit someone and injure them.

Hugs.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks. I know I should call but now it's over and done. I wish I had stayed on that corner and called them now but I don't feel like I can call. The BF was pretty discouraging about calling him thinking about the short-term and he was, I think more worried about getting my home safely than anything. If I ever see him do that again (which, if he commutes that way regularly, I will), then I no doubt with report him. One of the faculty members here (a cyclist) said it wouldn't matter if I called now, but for future reference, always call at THAT moment and just demand that they take down the report. Even if the cop is dismissive, document it, I guess.

I went back past there this morning and was fine and will go back past on my way home in a few hours. I think the situation not the place was really scary for me. I'm back on the horse and had NO issues this morning, thankfully. I don't think my confidence is shot I just think that was a bad person who would have done it to anyway. Most drivers aren't insane!

Owned by:

I agree. Call the cops and report the incident. You will feel less of a victim by taking action.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Many cops are cyclists....you'd be surprised. Call them.

So sorry that you had to deal with this jerk!

Another vote for calling the police. In some jurisdictions they will take a report after the fact when someone is driving recklessly.

Some people are just crazy. It's best to get away from them if you can.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Call the non-emergency number today. Do it. If for no other reason that to empower yourself that you can do something about this. I once witnessed an incident and didn't call until the next day. The officer was extremely happy that I called because there had been previous reports about the person (I knew the address). Please do it for yourself, it will only take a few minutes, and do it for others. This guy needs to be documented. Your boyfriend is wrong to dismiss it now.

I thought about it while I was out on the ride and came back and called. They took a report. Said they can't do much once the person has left the scene but that there is a "cyclist reporting" thing or something similar. Basically, it's a place where they put cyclist complaints.

You guys are right. I feel better doing it (esp. if this guy hurts another person!). I think my boyfriend was just concerned that the police would be really dismissive and make it worse. A couple of weeks ago, a woman almost ran me off the road honking, blew through a stop sign, and this was all in front of a cop sitting in a SCHOOL ZONE. The cop did nothing. I think that was what made me think "they don't care".

Owned by:

Good for your for reporting! I'm late chiming in - but I have had mixed responses from cops. BUT most of them have been positive (and I probably would have reported the cop that did nothing, honestly).

Here are my good experiences: A guy passed my DH and I in a downtown area and a motorcycle cop pulled him. The cop chatted with us and gave him a stern warning. A motorist passed by DH way too closely one night and flipped him off. He got the address where the car went. The cop talked to the lady, explained that people always watch and she had better behave better, and gave her a ticket for parking the wrong way on the street. When I lived in a small beach town, an elderly lady cut me off (had to slam on brakes not to hit her) - she pretty clearly couldn't see where she was going. I asked the police if they could at least ask her to be more careful, and they went and talked to her (and called us back). I think most of them (cops) are trying to do the right thing.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thank you for calling the cops and reporting the incident. Believe me the paper trail is important.

re the cop in the school zone. Around here we have Independent School District cops who are allowed to police and ticket only within the school zone but are not allowed to ticket worn or interfere wi road traffic. Maybe that was what was going on.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I don't know. She blew through a stop sign IN the school zone, which I would assume was the case. I don't know of anything like that here. The reception was just that they have a local cyclist report file and if they get enough calls, they will go talk to the person. I don't think it did any harm, no one "blamed" me (which is why I feared calling) and if I had known it was that painless, I would have done it sooner!

Owned by: