Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

what to wear under jersey?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm new to the cycling world and have some excited family members buying me stuff. Some of the jerseys are see-through. Can anyone recommend something to wear under it? I'm heavily endowed and don't feel comfortable in just a sports bra. I live in the south and it's getting hot quick. I wasn't sure if there is a "cooling" layer that would work under a jersey.

Thanks

I'm "well-endowed" also, and usually just go with a sports bra (Panache 5021) under my jerseys. It provides plenty of coverage and support. I also have some Craft Superlight sleeveless baselayers designed for use in warm weather that I occasionally wear. They're supposed to help with evaporation. But it's just so darn humid here during the summer that I'm not sure how much they help. Maybe this is what you're looking for?

My experience is that in humid weather, extra layers only make you hotter, no matter how "technical" they may be.

Even a single layer of technical cooling fabric isn't any cooler than bare skin once it's sweat-soaked through. (Though it's still a great way to keep sun off without inhibiting sweating the way creams do, and no hotter than bare skin - I love my cooling sleeves.)

Will your family be hurt if you exchange what they bought you for something less see-through? It's probably not what they intended.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm a 34 DD and I end up just opting for the "eff it" and wearing a bra strategy. You will sometimes find me with my jersey zipped down past my boobs on a hot day where I am sweating a lot. I just don't care. And if anyone does, they've never voiced any appearances. Yeah, I have boobs. I'm a lady. It happens.

I do understand why that may not work for you, though. I second the ask them if they could buy you something else strategy. I love LG jerseys because they are very breathable. Sugoi also makes some. Neither brand is very see-through. I can wear whatever, basically. But I'm already in spandex. My version of modesty is basically, "I'm sweating a lot and working hard, so if someone is offended by that, I will be gone in 30 seconds and they can get over it".
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    I'm a 34 DD and I end up just opting for the "eff it" and wearing a bra strategy. You will sometimes find me with my jersey zipped down past my boobs on a hot day where I am sweating a lot. I just don't care. And if anyone does, they've never voiced any appearances. Yeah, I have boobs. I'm a lady. It happens.

I do understand why that may not work for you, though. I second the ask them if they could buy you something else strategy. I love LG jerseys because they are very breathable. Sugoi also makes some. Neither brand is very see-through. I can wear whatever, basically. But I'm already in spandex. My version of modesty is basically, "I'm sweating a lot and working hard, so if someone is offended by that, I will be gone in 30 seconds and they can get over it".
    I'm not well-endowed but I also tend to unzip the jersey pretty far on a hot day. I do try to remember to zip it back up if I stop anywhere. I once went into a park visitor center, not realizing how unzipped my jersey was, and the poor ranger who tried to answer the questions I asked him had to try very hard to be polite and maintain eye contact with me.

You could try to find a sports bra that is similar to your skin tone to make it less noticeable under the jersey.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks for all the advice! I think when I get more riding time in this summer, I may not care so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tweb View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! I think when I get more riding time in this summer, I may not care so much.
    Probably not but I know everyone has a different comfort level and that's okay

And yeah, always zip back up when you stop haha. I am usually out in the middle of nowhere so I don't care and it's not like the BF is going to be all "oh noes!" but I wouldn't walk into a restaurant or place with a lot of people like that.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog