Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

Did some test riding today!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for a road bike that actually fits...it has become apparent that the "Craigslist special" I picked up this winter is too long in the reach for short me :-). Fortunately I have a slightly taller friend potentially interested in buying it. Today is a beautiful day so I went up to Portland and made the rounds of a few shops to test ride some bikes; one of said shops is hosting a bike swap Saturday that I am planning to go to. At the first shop I tried a 46cm Bianchi Volpe and a 49cm Masi CX Uno (I know, these are more cyclocross than "road" but I like the versatility); I really liked the Volpe but a new one is more than I want to pay right now (this shop sells used bikes too, but it's hit or miss). The Masi seemed to be the right size by all the off-the-cuff rules of thumb, but I felt much more stretched out on it which the woman at the shop said was because it has a much shorter headtube than the Volpe. The Masi also had horrendous toe overlap which the Volpe didn't seem to. Major bummer, because that bike was a closeout and would have been a great deal if it had been as good a fit as the Volpe. The second shop, where Saturday's swap will be, didn't have anything in my size that I was interested in to test ride. The third "shop" was actually an EMS store...not my first choice of place to buy a bike but they are the only ones around here that sell Jamis and I wanted to try out the Satellite Femme steel road bike. Unfortunately this particular EMS didn't have a Satellite but did have the aluminum-framed Ventura which I tried out and found to fit nicely; the guy said another store does have the Satellite in my size. The Ventura was a leftover from last year and being sold at a major discount, and it sounds like the Satellite (which is less expensive to start with) may be a similar deal. If so, and if I don't find something great at the swap, I may go to that EMS store and end up getting it if it is the same good fit. Do any other short women have suggestions for entry-level road/cyclocross bikes to look at? I'm 5' 2.5", 30" inseam. Would like to be able to run at least 28c tires given some of the crummy roads here.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I'm pretty much the same inseam as you with a short reach and I just bought a 46 cm Surly cross-check(I rode a 47 cm Trek roadie before that). If you love steel, you will love this bike. I love the advantage of steel and really didn't realize how much I missed it until I got back to it again. It's got 28s on it right now, I think, but it can go up to 35 cms. It's very light for steel and quite nice to ride. It's not as "fast" as my carbon and aluminium bike but I like to think its versatility outweighs all of that. And, yes, it still can get quite quick. I got a steal of a deal on mine but it's MSRP is about the same as the Volpe.

One thing I will say about the surly that differs is the shifters are bar-end rather than handlebar. So, that takes some getting used to but I found myself doing it on auto-pilot less than 3 days after buying my bike just this morning. What I do LOVE most about the specs of this bike, though, is the Salsa bars. They are so nice and small for my hands, have a "bump" for resting in the drops, and they are curved delicately to help with your hand positions. And they way they are set up, it's easier to get up and out of the saddle. I've been much more comfortable to do that on this bike than my old roadie.

And you can't beat the ability to ride in freezing rain and snow that I had this morning!
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

yay for a sweet new bike. Congrats.!
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Hi Jolt, I see you are in Southern Maine. I'm up here in Lewiston and my LBS, Busytown Bikes sells Jamis bikes. I'm currently riding a 44cm Jamis Ventura Comp and I like it. (I just bought it last October and it's my first road bike so I'm still getting used to the feel of a road bike) I don't know how far "south" of Portland you are, but Frank at Busytown is great and it might be worth a road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    I'm pretty much the same inseam as you with a short reach and I just bought a 46 cm Surly cross-check(I rode a 47 cm Trek roadie before that). If you love steel, you will love this bike. I love the advantage of steel and really didn't realize how much I missed it until I got back to it again. It's got 28s on it right now, I think, but it can go up to 35 cms. It's very light for steel and quite nice to ride. It's not as "fast" as my carbon and aluminium bike but I like to think its versatility outweighs all of that. And, yes, it still can get quite quick. I got a steal of a deal on mine but it's MSRP is about the same as the Volpe.

One thing I will say about the surly that differs is the shifters are bar-end rather than handlebar. So, that takes some getting used to but I found myself doing it on auto-pilot less than 3 days after buying my bike just this morning. What I do LOVE most about the specs of this bike, though, is the Salsa bars. They are so nice and small for my hands, have a "bump" for resting in the drops, and they are curved delicately to help with your hand positions. And they way they are set up, it's easier to get up and out of the saddle. I've been much more comfortable to do that on this bike than my old roadie.

And you can't beat the ability to ride in freezing rain and snow that I had this morning!
    How tall are you? I do like the idea of the Cross Check but was looking at the top tube length and it sounds like it is awfully long even on the 42 cm, so I wasn't sure if it would work well for me. If we are about the same height I may have to reconsider that thought. The second shop I went to does sell them but didn't have any small ones available to test ride, or I definitely would have done so (they also sell the LHT, but again no small ones in stock, which I also would have tested).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly5 View Post
    Hi Jolt, I see you are in Southern Maine. I'm up here in Lewiston and my LBS, Busytown Bikes sells Jamis bikes. I'm currently riding a 44cm Jamis Ventura Comp and I like it. (I just bought it last October and it's my first road bike so I'm still getting used to the feel of a road bike) I don't know how far "south" of Portland you are, but Frank at Busytown is great and it might be worth a road trip.
    Thanks for the tip...may be worth checking out depending on how everything else goes...kind of a haul though b/c I am in Sanford. As far as the Portland shops, I was impressed with Back Bay Bicycle on Forest Ave. for stocking small sizes! It was also nice to see women working in both LBSs I went to (the other was Gorham Bike & Ski, also a good shop but I didn't hit it right for finding my size to test ride). BTW, I think it was the Ventura Comp that I test rode at EMS, but in a 48cm.
    Last edited by Jolt; 04-15-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I'm about 5' tall and have a tiny reach. I fit the 46 perfectly. They didn't even need to swap out a stem or anything but YMMV. Prior to this, I had a 47 cm road bike and it honestly seemed to have a longer reach that now I realize was probably TOO long.

Owned by:

I'm about 5' tall and have a tiny reach. I fit the 46 perfectly. They didn't even need to swap out a stem or anything but YMMV. Prior to this, I had a 47 cm road bike and it honestly seemed to have a longer reach that now I realize was probably TOO long.
    Wow. I definitely should look at it then (if I can find a Surly dealer in the area that has the small sizes in stock)...maybe I can find a great deal too. How is the toe overlap situation on the 46cm? I've read some things about it being pretty significant on the small Cross Checks, but for all I know that may have been on the 42 which is likely too small for me anyway. Not a fan of having the wheel hit my foot while taking a right turn on red (this happened on my test ride of the Masi CX Uno), particularly on a bike that could end up having fenders put on at some point.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

I haven't had any major problems with it based on the fact that I think i have pretty tiny feet. I could see how it COULD happen, though, since it happened to my boyfriend when he was riding it. But, he's a size 14 mens and 6'2''.

Owned by:

I haven't had any major problems with it based on the fact that I think i have pretty tiny feet. I could see how it COULD happen, though, since it happened to my boyfriend when he was riding it. But, he's a size 14 mens and 6'2''.
    I have pretty small feet too (size 6.5), will be interesting to see if it's an issue. In my research, I have come across a couple of other bikes that look like they'd be worth test riding. Anyone know anything about the Redline Metro Classic? I see that it comes in a 44cm size; the TT is 52 cm which sounds a little long but the bike appears to have a taller front end much like the Volpe so it may work reach-wise. I also saw the KHS CX100 but the standover is 29 11/12 inches on the XS size which wouldn't give me much clearance.
    Last edited by Jolt; 04-16-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: put in wrong model name
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Wow, that metro sport is a classic looking bike! Cute bike!

Owned by:

Yes, it is a nice looking bike, but so far I have struck out on finding anyone who 1) carries Redline and 2) has that model around here. Will call a couple of places today that are a little further out but still within a distance I'd be willing to travel if by some stroke of luck they have one in my size.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Hey, for those of you who have Surly LHTs, do you find them a lot slower than a regular steel road bike? One has just shown up on Craigslist and I am wondering whether I should go look at it or if I would be happier sticking with a relaxed road/CX type bike as I have originally been focusing on. I'm looking for something that will be comfortable and efficient for rides up to 50 miles in a day and has clearance for somewhat wider tires than the typical 23-25s (with the option of fenders) but not be at a huge speed disadvantage in terms of keeping up with a group. I've been intrigued by the LHT but wonder if it would be too much of a tank (especially since I already have a heavy tank of a bike that I can carry a load on if needed but it's slow as all heck--a rigid MTB that I modified with trekking bars). Those who have ridden them, please advise. Thanks!

ETA: does anyone have any experience with the Jamis Bosanova? That looks like something else that might be good if it fits.
    Last edited by Jolt; 04-17-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

4'11 rider chimes in. I test rode the LHT and the snappier Pacer. Knot used to have a Crosscheck. The LHT is very stable. I would not say it's slow but my LBS said "The longer you ride it the more you'll like it". In other words, great for loaded touring. The fit was great. I would probably swap the brake levers for something that fit my tiny mousey paws but reliable, stable, workhorse. A very nice bike.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17451

On the Pacer I felt stretched out like on a rack. Long top tube in my size and even tried down a notch. Rode a few blocks and just said "nope".

Knott initially loved her Crosscheck. Zippy, fast and fun. At some point she bought a Soma Buena Vista frame and transfered everything over from Surly to Soma. So the exact same bike, just different frame. The difference in speed was immediate. So scientific proof: Soma frame may be faster. Now we're a 2 Buena Vista family and can attest; don't let the girly mixte thing fool you. This is a fast, light bike.
    Last edited by Trek420; 04-18-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    4'11 rider chimes in. I test rode the LHT and the snappier Pacer. Knot used to have a Crosscheck. The LHT is very stable. I would not say it's slow but my LBS said "The longer you ride it the more you'll like it". In other words, great for loaded touring. The fit was great. I would probably swap the brake levers for something that fit my tiny mousey paws but reliable, stable, workhorse. A very nice bike.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17451

On the Pacer I felt stretched out like on a rack. Long top tube in my size and even tried down a notch. Rode a few blocks and just said "nope".

Knott initially loved her Crosscheck. Zippy, fast and fun. At some point she bought a Soma Buena Vista frame and transfered everything over from Surly to Soma. So the exact same bike, just different frame. The difference in speed was immediate. So scientific proof: Soma frame may be faster. Now we're a 2 Buena Vista family and can attest; don't let the girly mixte thing fool you. This is a fast, light bike.
    Well, I have emailed the seller for more info. She states in her ad that she is 5' 2" and the bike is a 46cm, so hopefully it will fit me too (though I have heard a lot of people that height ride the 42, so it's hard to say). I think I need to at least go check it out and see if it will work for my intended purposes. Given that I am not exactly a speed demon in any discipline (running, swimming, biking etc.) it very well may be fine. It also depends on what she is looking to get for a price...it's one of those "make an offer" type ads so I will have to be prepared to negotiate if I decide I want it.

ETA: This bike has 26" wheels which is likely a good thing proportion-wise but I have heard they are a lot slower than 700c, is this true or a bunch of baloney?
    Last edited by Jolt; 04-18-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830