Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Cool Introduction to Recumbents

Good morning and Welcome to "bent riders", a section for those in an up and comming group who ride in the "incline".
    This version of HPV offers a solution to the aching hands, wrists, necks, and rear ends! It is a fact that if you try riding a recumbent; especially a trike, you will want one for your own.
    Whether you start out simple or go for the high end, these babies are my new life.
    I couldn't ride an upright any more due to hand and wrist issues. I can't walk very far due to feet issues. I tried a recumbent trike as a last resort and am now riding 60 miles a week with commuting to work instead of driving.
    Life is sweet again.
    :-)

Hey! Where did this come from?! I don't think there are many "bent" riders here, but it's a start. I bought a recumbent this time last year, after I herniated a disc in my low back (just after having registered for STP and RSVP) and I was desperate to keep up with the training. I'd hoped to ride STP on the recumbent, but discovered it was harder to build up those recumbent legs than I'd planned. I think it's going to happen this year, though.
    I hope more recumbent riders chime in here!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Bent rider here. I've owned and sold a variety in the past but two wks ago I bought a used Trident TWIG and am enjoying the ride from a bent angle again. Here's a photo of my Wasabi green TWIG.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040129.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	17934
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Very elegant looking bike. Looks like you don't get so much of that SWB feet-higher-than-your-head feeling on hills(which totally freaks me out).
    As you can see, this thread is hoppin'.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    Very elegant looking bike. Looks like you don't get so much of that SWB feet-higher-than-your-head feeling on hills(which totally freaks me out).
    As you can see, this thread is hoppin'.
    LOL, yeah it's really a popular thread. Thanks for the compliment on the bike. It isn't that feet-above-your-head type of set up so I can quickly and easily put down when need be. I've owned a Bacchetta Giro in the past which I believe was higher. I feel that the TWIG and I are 'one' with regard to ride set up so am very comfortable on it. Since I've taken this photo of the bike, I've tweaked it even more, pulling the handlebars back a bit and just some fine tuning here and there.

I've ordered a Click Stand for my bike and am anxious to give it a try.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Very nice bike. Are you planning to put any sort of front fairing? Just asking because lot do. And is it easier climbing compared to other recumbent?

Besides the regular bikes I own, I have a recumbent trike. It's a dog!! heavy and slow.