Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Reversing the damage of nursing school

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all. I have been lurking here for a couple weeks since my husband surprised me with the purchase of a bike for my birthday. All winter I was whining about how I miss riding my bike and how nursing school is slowly making me fat. I have gained about 20 pounds since starting in September.
    A couple weeks ago, I began my two week spring break between terms and my husband thought it would be a good idea to buy my gift early. He had spent months researching different bikes that he felt would fit my needs. I went to the local Trek store and told the gentleman what I would be using my bike for and he was pushing for me to buy a hybrid. my husband suggested that I try the Cali S as he thought that would work best for me. Having not done any research myself, I trusted his word and test rode the bike. I really enjoyed it as I have always had mountain bikes growing up. So, I took it home that day and rode 2 miles in the 22 degree spring weather we were having.
    It's been about three weeks now since I've started riding the bike. I love it, but deep down inside I wonder if I should have chosen a road bike. I only ride on the road, but my husband has mentioned that he wants to try trails some day. I wish I wasn't a poor college kid and could afford to have both. The bike isn't bad to ride, and I bought some bontrager race shorts to help me endure the longer distances. Today, I did my longest ride in my entire life of just under 25 miles. It has been amazing to see how much stronger I have become in the past few weeks and I hope to become even stronger as the year progresses. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140330_160614.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	17015

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad13 View Post
    Hello all. I have been lurking here for a couple weeks since my husband surprised me with the purchase of a bike for my birthday. All winter I was whining about how I miss riding my bike and how nursing school is slowly making me fat. I have gained about 20 pounds since starting in September.
    A couple weeks ago, I began my two week spring break between terms and my husband thought it would be a good idea to buy my gift early. He had spent months researching different bikes that he felt would fit my needs. I went to the local Trek store and told the gentleman what I would be using my bike for and he was pushing for me to buy a hybrid. my husband suggested that I try the Cali S as he thought that would work best for me. Having not done any research myself, I trusted his word and test rode the bike. I really enjoyed it as I have always had mountain bikes growing up. So, I took it home that day and rode 2 miles in the 22 degree spring weather we were having.
    It's been about three weeks now since I've started riding the bike. I love it, but deep down inside I wonder if I should have chosen a road bike. I only ride on the road, but my husband has mentioned that he wants to try trails some day. I wish I wasn't a poor college kid and could afford to have both. The bike isn't bad to ride, and I bought some bontrager race shorts to help me endure the longer distances. Today, I did my longest ride in my entire life of just under 25 miles. It has been amazing to see how much stronger I have become in the past few weeks and I hope to become even stronger as the year progresses. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140330_160614.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	17015
    Ooooh! Congrats on a new bike from a sweet husband! I would say that you should fall in love with biking again and enjoy both the road and the trails. Mountain bikes can be used on both trail and roads, plus I think that your Cali S is a 29er. So, if you already bought this bike, I would get stronger on it, ride on some trails, and figure out if you love the feel on a road bike or not before your road bike purchase. There is always Craigslist too.

I'm also excited that you went from 2 miles to riding 25 miles in only a few weeks!!! I think that it took me a few months to improve as much as you did in a few weeks.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Welcome aboard. My sister and cousin are nurses so I'm familiar with the demands of nursing school.

My first bike (as an adult) was a hardtail mountain bike. For the first few years I had it, I rode it mostly on roads and paved trails, with some riding on a canal towpath. I had lots of fun with it. Eventually I started riding single track. I bought a road bike four years later, and I mostly ride that now, but I still like like to ride the mountain bike on dirt paths from time to time.

Enjoy your new bike, and good luck with school!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles