Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Crosscheck vs. Crossrip

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all,

Yes, I posted a thread about the SO and bikes. He is still not ready to pull the trigger on anything with drops. However, I went down to buy a replacement saddle for the MTB today and was looking at the cross bikes. I've always wanted "one bike to rule them all" with something to commute and tour on as well as maybe do some intro cross stuff on.

Well, I rode the Surly. Big mistake. God, it's a sweet little ride. I forgot how nice steel bikes could be with drops! I didn't like the shifters at the bar ends but the geometry felt good. I am going to go back tomorrow and try a Crossrip they have in a size that they believe will suit me. They think I might like it just as much (and it's on sale with a promotion). They also said they would look at both my bikes for potential trades (I would love to get back down to ONE bike again.

Pros/cons to these bikes? I think they are both better (geometry wise) for what I see myself doing (touring, commuting) and it would me I could just have one wonderful bike instead of two and drops again on the commute, which I prefer for some reason. And I think I am willing to pull the trigger (esp. if the bike could be next-to-free). They are going to build up the Crossrip for me and should have it by tomorrow afternoon to try. We're going to bring my bikes as well to make sure I DO want to trade.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

I would look at the Straggler (Surly) too. It's a cross check with disc brakes. It's easier to fender than a regular cross check (no horizontal drop out issue on the rear). I actually want to sell my cross check and build one up - but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet - since I also want a Brompton (for a totally different purpose) - and I can't do much right now since my &$% knees are NOT cooperating (a whole other thread).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Yes for also riding the Straggler - if they have one. My DH is very spoiled (okay we do own a bike shop) He has a Surly Cross-Check that is about six years old that he uses for commuting and has done some light touring - it only has two gear though (his choice) He has always like it. THEN our Surly Rep brought us a Straggler to try and he is sooooo in love with it he isn't giving it back. Same basic design but he likes the STI brifters and the Kenda slant six tires are pretty zippy. So now he has two cross bikes plus he just built a Surly Big "Fat" Dummy (has rabbit rims and 3.5" wide tires for desert riding) Don't even get me started on his touring bike :0)

So Long Story Short - I vote for the Straggler
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Looked at the straggler online. That may be an upgrade I want to make in a few years but I wouldn't have been able to ride it. They didn't have one in stock. The Crosscheck one. The Crossrip was still a nice bike but I agreed that the Cross-check was the far better bike today. It reminds me of my days racing around on my Dad's old steel bike thinking I was queen of everything. I also loved the Salsa bars they put on this build. Very ergonomic for long hauls but also great for commutes. I've already commuted to work to see a friend in from Rwanda talk. They threw my rack and accessories on it and all I had to buy was a glasses mirror since I can't use my bar end mirror anymore!

I talked them down on the Surly and got it for about a grand. They gave me a fair bit for my MTB but now I am selling the roadie because I can get much more for a small women's road bike here than they would give me to trade it. So, in the end, I won't have much left over at all (I hope!).

I promise to have more pics tomorrow. The BF is getting surprised with a bike trip for his b-day. I have about 30 miles RT planned, a wine tasting, and a nice dinner at a dive that comes highly rec'd. I'm going to drive us down one town over, then start at a good place on the trail and we'll return after having dinner.

Owned by:

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I would look at the Straggler (Surly) too. It's a cross check with disc brakes. It's easier to fender than a regular cross check (no horizontal drop out issue on the rear). I actually want to sell my cross check and build one up - but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet - since I also want a Brompton (for a totally different purpose) - and I can't do much right now since my &$% knees are NOT cooperating (a whole other thread).
    I want a Brompton, too! What size is your Cross Check (just in case you decide to sell it when I happen to be in your town sometime)?

It's a 50. 3-9, bar ends, Shimano generator hub + spare front wheel, pink deep v rums, black frame.

I had so much fun looking at the Bromptons at NAHBS! I love they way they ride. But if I sell the cross check, I would replace it with a Straggler - I would miss it's place in my bike shed too much.

Everyone who has these cross-checks seems to love them and they keep them for ages! There are a couple of people I know with them who swear by them (including one of the ladies I ride with regularly in the summer). That's another reason I've probably always thought they were great bikes. I hope that even after a few months I feel the same way about her!

Owned by:

I'm not one of them. :-( I didn't like my CrossCheck at all. It was far too heavy for me. Heck, it weighed more than my husbands giant Surly LHT! I sold it and got a Lynskey ProCross instead. :-) I hope you like your CrossCheck! I did for about a month! LOL!
    Blogging about all things bike, run, travel related at:
    Be The Badger

2014 Lynskey ProCross (The Raven)
    2013 Cannondale Slice 5 (Father Christmas)

ask for my discount/referral codes!
    2014 MioGlobal Brand Champion
    2014 De Soto Femmebassador

Funny - I have a Lynskey Procross and a CrossCheck, and love them both! Just goes to show how different all of our bike preferences are.

BTW - Hulagirl - I read part of your blog this afternoon and LOVE it!

Awww shucks….thanks!

I'm quite smitten with my Procross. There is a very big difference in a $900 bike and the ProCross and I wouldn't compare the two for the world. The Surly taught me that weight is my number one concern in a bike. And disc brakes, LOL! :-) I sold it to my friend that lives in Waikiki and she loves, loves, loves it. She sold her car and uses that bike to get everywhere now. It probably won't ever see dirt, but it's well loved and gets to see Diamond Head almost every day. It went to a better home!
    Blogging about all things bike, run, travel related at:
    Be The Badger

2014 Lynskey ProCross (The Raven)
    2013 Cannondale Slice 5 (Father Christmas)

ask for my discount/referral codes!
    2014 MioGlobal Brand Champion
    2014 De Soto Femmebassador

I've been going back and forth on a crosscheck or something else. I think I am going to go with the Salsa Vaya. After riding one and then the other, the Salsa Vaya feels better.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    I've been going back and forth on a crosscheck or something else. I think I am going to go with the Salsa Vaya. After riding one and then the other, the Salsa Vaya feels better.
    I was just drooling at the travel version. I haven't ridden one, but it looks like one sweet ride! I think a Brompton may come first, though, before I look at disc cross bikes (my ProCross does not have them). Would love to hear more ride reports!

The one in my size is being built now. I will ride this one tomorrow (Vaya 3) and test it out again. I haven't decided. I don't need it, but I sure do want it.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75