Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Handlebar angles.....paging Wahine

To disable ads, please log-in.

I switched to a much wider bar last fall and overall I lovelovelove it. However, I'm getting some wrist pain and wondering how best to trouble shoot it without changing bars a lot. (right) What I am wondering if finding a bar that matched the angles of what I had before, just wider, is the best place to start. I'm pretty sure that what I put on is a little flatter. I have a friend that has a barrel of handlebars so cost is not what I'm worried about, just the PITA factor of changing every thing out.

thanks...
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

There is a fun and functional way to test out what your best starting point may be for handlebar width and sweep. Grab some dumbbells that have flattened sides and use these as your "handles" while you try some push-ups in different positions. Rotate the dumbells, move them wider and narrower. Try to find the position that is most comfortable and also feels powerful. Pay as much attention to how your wrist feels and looks at the top of the push-up as you do lower into the push-up, although it's the middle part that is most important as this is where we ride. When you've found your happy place, leave the dumbbells in position, you can measure them for width and take note of backsweep.

Mountain bike handlebars don't come with consistent sizing rules and this is the best way I've been able to think of to test it before you buy it. One rule of thumb is 10 to 15 cm wider than your shoulder width.

It sounds like you've already found the right width for you so I would guess that you might want a handlebar that is more backswept than your current set up. It would be great if you could put the handlebar on, and just get your hands on it to see if it's in the ballpark, without putting shifters etc on. Then maybe you can try a few different ones.

You might also want to look into some different grips. These Ergon grips saved my bacon in Portugal last year just because I had a lot of different hand positions to go to. I think these are more appropriate for endurance riding but something similar may help you.

Finally, make sure there isn't a subtle change you can make to the position of your shifters and brake levers to take some creasing out of the wrist
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    There is a fun and functional way to test out what your best starting point may be for handlebar width and sweep. Grab some dumbbells that have flattened sides and use these as your "handles" while you try some push-ups in different positions. Rotate the dumbells, move them wider and narrower. Try to find the position that is most comfortable and also feels powerful. Pay as much attention to how your wrist feels and looks at the top of the push-up as you do lower into the push-up, although it's the middle part that is most important as this is where we ride. When you've found your happy place, leave the dumbbells in position, you can measure them for width and take note of backsweep.

Mountain bike handlebars don't come with consistent sizing rules and this is the best way I've been able to think of to test it before you buy it. One rule of thumb is 10 to 15 cm wider than your shoulder width.

It sounds like you've already found the right width for you so I would guess that you might want a handlebar that is more backswept than your current set up. It would be great if you could put the handlebar on, and just get your hands on it to see if it's in the ballpark, without putting shifters etc on. Then maybe you can try a few different ones.

You might also want to look into some different grips. These Ergon grips saved my bacon in Portugal last year just because I had a lot of different hand positions to go to. I think these are more appropriate for endurance riding but something similar may help you.

Finally, make sure there isn't a subtle change you can make to the position of your shifters and brake levers to take some creasing out of the wrist
    I have one pair of barely used Ergon bar ends Size Small that I can sell you for $25 plus shipping if you are interested. I never ended up using them for my bike after all
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Wahine, that is genuis.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I second this. I've been wondering the same and I'm glad I stumbled upon your post, Wahine! Can't wait to give this a try!

I spent time time w one of the really good fitters in town a couple of days ago. He didn't have any bars in stock with a different sweep, but he did suggest one significant change which we did do. I've been moving my brake levers in bit by bit the last two seasons, and Josh put them inside my shifters so that the positions were flip flopped, so the brake levers went in further still. This significant changed how I (don't) have to reach around to shift, and feels sooo much better. I do not have stock brake levers; I have some TwentySix ones that really feel good set in close for one finger braking. Now, I haven't done an extended ride with this set, but I did spend all weekend on my bike at an instructor clinic and god knows I was doing a lot of brake dragging for speed control and what not as we were polishing up demos.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

That's a great adjustment for you! Glad it's helping.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS