Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm a fan of keeping everything simple and practical, so I have the kobo app on my iPad. That way I have my entire e-reader library at my finger tips, plus all of my other apps that I use daily, including my outlook account. Sometimes reading on the train is all I want to do, but other times going through my emails or working on an article is time better spent.

Using my iPad makes the most sense because it condenses all of my needs into one device. Now my problem is that if I ever lose it for some reason, I will no longer know how to survive.

I've been muddling along with a Galaxy Tab S2. It seemed easy and intuitive to use when I played with it in the store, but since I brought it home it's been somewhat frustrating. I had to turn off autocorrect because it was changing almost every word I typed into a totally unrelated word. The stock android browser drove me crazy, even though the old version of the same browser that I use on my phone is fine. I installed Firefox which is better but not perfect. For some reason the orientation won't change when I turn the tablet horizontal, which is really necessary for some websites. I found recommendations for Opera and one other browser (might have been Dolphin?) on the Android user forums, but the recent app reviews for both say "this used to be great but since the last update it's horrible." So I'm waiting and hoping that they will fix whatever they messed up soon.

The screen on the S2 is great, so I've been working on setting things up to use it for viewing photos and videos that I take with my great new Nikon camera, trying to figure out the easiest way to get photos from the camera to the tablet via my pc.

For reading, I've been using Moon+. So far I've only been reading technical stuff related to work and it's been working okay for that. I haven't tried to borrow or buy any novels or other non-work books yet. Next up I need to figure out how to download my Kindle books from Amazon's server to the tablet so I can read them when there's no wifi, i.e., on an airplane.

So I'm getting there, but have concluded that all of these things have a high annoyance factor. I'm kinda regretting getting the more expensive S2, given the price I pay in terms of being irritated and frustrated getting the tablet to do what I want. I'd be less ticked off I had paid less cash for it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

There is both Kindle and Nook software for Android in the app store, they both work well and you can access all of your Amazon content this way. There is a setting for allowing the orientation to change based on how you're holding the tablet, but not all programs will change. Look in your settings for the "device" settings and check "auto rotate screen". This will work for most Android apps - I hope this helps! I've a Galaxy Tab 4 (10.1), not the S2 but that shouldn't matter.

I have screen rotation turned on but it's not working for anything. I think it used to work.

===

Okay I rebooted and now it works again. The magical on/off button strikes again...
    Last edited by ny biker; 10-17-2015 at 06:45 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I have screen rotation turned on but it's not working for anything. I think it used to work.

===

Okay I rebooted and now it works again. The magical on/off button strikes again...
    Glad to read this! Amazing how often that seems to take care of things There are a few automatic updates that I've learned I really need to reboot afterwards or odd things happen with my tablet. Phone as well, but most often tablet.