Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

FTR, I create maps on ridewithgps.com on my iPad all the time, and it works seamlessly. Mapping running routes is one of the biggest reasons I need (rather than just like) computing power on the road.

I don't think there's a way to send them to the GPS from any tablet though. That's strictly for routes that get either memorized or written on paper.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-18-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

NY Biker, here is one of many links about how to side load non-Amazon apps on the Kindle HDX in case you are interested or find that you need/want something that isn't in the Amazon walled off app-garden.

I do appreciate all of the information and am still uncertain which direction to go. I may, in the end, just decide to hold onto the money but we will see.

Thanks for the link, Catrin.

FWIW, my issue with mapping sites like ridewithgps or mapquest is related to using them with the touchscreen of the Kindle vs with the laptop's mouse. I was able to plan a ride route using the Kindle this weekend, but I had to be more careful about where I touched the screen when I was moving it around and clicking on roads.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

I hope it is helpful. The more I think about it, the more inclined I am just to keep my money. I tend to like snazzy electronic toys just a bit too much, and that is what this is starting to feel like It isn't like I don't already have a dedicated e-reader, and I am around a full computer MOST of my waking hours. I can't take a table running with me, and I can use my way too large phone (Note 2) to run my kettlebell timing program. It is SO easy for me to spend money on electronics!

So, I'm going to strongly recommend that if you are looking to buy a tablet, do not even consider a Kindle Fire.

The original Fire HDX that I bought had to be replaced soon after I got it, due to wifi connection issues. I should have known right then that I was in trouble -- Amazon considers these things to be disposable. If you contact them with a technical problem, they tell you to press the power button for 40 seconds to restart it. If that doesn't work, they don't try to figure out what the problem is and if there could be a solution. They just immediately conclude that it's unfixable. If it's under warranty, they send you a new one. If it's not under warranty they tell you to do a factory reset. Wipe everything out and set it up all over again, like you have nothing better to do with your time, but don't think that the problem won't happen again because they're never actually going to try to fix anything. And when your barely-over-a-year-old Kindle just dies and won't start up, they say sorry, we don't repair Kindles, but we'll offer you $14 off the price of a new one.

I found it useful to have a device that's smaller and more portable than a laptop but bigger than a smartphone, with internet access and a decent camera. But my budget is really tight right now and I can't afford a new tablet. When I am able to afford one, it will not be anything from Amazon.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle

Gone but not forgotten:

I've suspected that was a problem with the Kindle tablets, thanks for your comments. I've the Kindle Paperwhite (which I love), and right after I bought my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Barnes and Nobles moved to THAT tablet for their tablet. I can't recommend it too highly, though I wish I had known that B&N was going to do that. If I'd waited for 2 weeks I would have saved quite a bit on my purchase but that is how things go. I really did like my Nook Touch, but it finally died and I do like the Paperwhite more than I did the Touch. That was a surprise!

Just another thought, as long as we're reviving this thread, someone on FB posted about wanting something to read on the beach. They were mostly concerned about readability, but IME, every iPad I've had has overheated after only a little while in direct sunlight. If I even want to do a yoga video on the porch, I've got to make sure the iPad is in the shade.

No idea how other devices do in direct sunlight, though.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Anything with a traditional backlit screen won't do well in the sun, traditional eReaders are the best in that environment but I don't know if there's an overheating problem too long in the sun. I lost my old Sony eReader by letting it get too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've suspected that was a problem with the Kindle tablets, thanks for your comments. I've the Kindle Paperwhite (which I love), and right after I bought my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Barnes and Nobles moved to THAT tablet for their tablet. I can't recommend it too highly, though I wish I had known that B&N was going to do that. If I'd waited for 2 weeks I would have saved quite a bit on my purchase but that is how things go. I really did like my Nook Touch, but it finally died and I do like the Paperwhite more than I did the Touch. That was a surprise!
    The kindle paperwhite and Samsung use E Ink screens which are excellent for reading. I use polarized sunglasses when viewing photos on my ipad in bright sunlight and that works well for me. I’ve never had an overheating problem that caused a problem even in desert heat. When in heat, and actually usually, I have location services disabled, auto brightness on, all apps and services closed unless i need to use them and don’t use it for graphic intensive games so my cpu isn't overworked....but then for me it's just a tool to use for the internet and getting an enlarged look at photos when i'm out doing photography.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Caveat: I did not read the entire thread.

Being a Windows geek without an Apple product to my name NOR a Smartphone, I bought an Asus Transformerbook T100 last fall to bring to Mexico in lieu of my full-size HP laptop. After using this since last October, I think it's the smartest electronics purchase I've ever made.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2.0 as well but found it too limiting, and after using Windows for so many years, Android was just too different for me to get really comfortable with. My T100 came with Windows 8.1 (which I will soon upgrade to Win 10, eek!) , and I was just more comfortable with that.

The tablet part easily clips off the keyboard for e-reading. I use mostly Blio to read books I check out from the library, but have also used the Kindle app.

With the keyboard clipped in, it functions just like a laptop, only smaller and lighter. I've gotten used to its small form and enjoy that I can have it in my lap without overheating, since the keyboard doesn't contain a hard drive so doesn't get hot. So I never need a desk and can compute in my lap wherever I happen to be.

I also like that it is racy red instead of boring black.

Attachment 17754 Attachment 17755

I bought it on Amazon. I am sure there are newer models now; I haven't even checked since I have no need for anything else for now.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Just a note. Amazon sells both e-ink readers (the Paperwhite), and backlit tablets (Kindle Fire). The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 that B&N sells is a traditional tablet as well. I do really like my Galaxy Tab 4.

Unlike Amazon, B&N no longer locks you into thier interface and software store. It is pretty much just the regular tablet where you can have any software you desire, I've both kindle and nook software on mine. For fiction, or reading outside, I use my e-ink reader, tablets aren't good for that.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Caveat: I did not read the entire thread.

Being a Windows geek without an Apple product to my name NOR a Smartphone, I bought an Asus Transformerbook T100 last fall to bring to Mexico in lieu of my full-size HP laptop. After using this since last October, I think it's the smartest electronics purchase I've ever made.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2.0 as well but found it too limiting, and after using Windows for so many years, Android was just too different for me to get really comfortable with. My T100 came with Windows 8.1 (which I will soon upgrade to Win 10, eek!) , and I was just more comfortable with that.

The tablet part easily clips off the keyboard for e-reading. I use mostly Blio to read books I check out from the library, but have also used the Kindle app.

With the keyboard clipped in, it functions just like a laptop, only smaller and lighter. I've gotten used to its small form and enjoy that I can have it in my lap without overheating, since the keyboard doesn't contain a hard drive so doesn't get hot. So I never need a desk and can compute in my lap wherever I happen to be.

I also like that it is racy red instead of boring black.

Attachment 17754 Attachment 17755

I bought it on Amazon. I am sure there are newer models now; I haven't even checked since I have no need for anything else for now.
    I thought about getting a 2-in-1. I'm required to provide my own pc for work and currently I'm using an old laptop with a separate larger monitor and keyboard (because the screen on the laptop is failing). But the laptop is very slow and will probably need to be replaced soon. So I thought a 2-in-1 would be good to use as a tablet outside of work and a laptop to connect to the monitor and larger keyboard at the office. Unfortunately right now a 2-in-1 is too expensive for me, especially since there's an outside chance that things will change at work and my employer will give me a pc to use.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Galaxy Tab tablets are actually not too expensive. Right now I'm trying to figure out the difference between the different types -- Tab 4 vs 3 vs whatever. I like the fact that you can add memory with a micro SD card -- I think (am hoping) that means you can go with a less expensive tablet with 16GB and and then add storage with an SD card rather than paying more for 64GB in the tablet.

BTW to make this thread cycling related -- I recently was at a deli taking a break on a bike ride when I ran into someone I know through Facebook, a friend-of-a-friend who was in the middle of a self-supported 100-mile ride. He had a 7-inch tablet in his jersey pocket. I assume it had 4G capability, since he uses it to check in online during his rides and I doubt he's able to find public wifi in all those places. Anyway what really impressed me is what he uses as a "case" to protect it from sweat and the elements -- a large Halls cough drop bag. It has a zip-top closure and he said it's very durable.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/hal...003802-product

Gone but not forgotten:

Tab 4 is better than the Tab 3. Processor is better and thus is faster, among other things. Was also told they are no longer updating the Tab 3. I played with both before deciding and haven't regretted my choice.

ny_rider, My T100 was under $200. I got the one without the 500 Gb hard drive since it has a micro-SD slot. I use the SD card to store all my photos. It's certainly not a high-powered, fancy machine, but it works fine for everything I need to do. I love that it has a micro HDMI slot so I can pipe video to our flat-screen TV. It only has one USB port, but that's all I've found I need.

And, to keep this cycling-related, it came with a Crank Brothers sticker on the case! (Just kidding -- I added that).

Attachment 17756
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

If you want to read in bright outdoor, get an e-ink display.

Unlike back lit screen, e-ink display "freezes" once the image or text is loaded up. so the screen can be powered down to save power. Display remains even if the screen loses power. When the screen needs updating because you've scrolled up or down, gone to another page, then it will use miniscule of power to update the screen. So e-ink is better if you are reading text or something where you are not having to change the image all that often. E-ink display is not very good if you want to play video games.

How the display gets updated is proprietary and e-ink wont even let chip designers who are building the driver for the e-ink will know. I should know! We hit a brick wall when we were designing a chip for the e-ink display.

Back lit, AM (active matrix) or LCD uses far more power than e-ink display.