Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've started Gaim's "Neverwhere" and am very impressed. I recently read "American Gods" which I thought well written and very creative. "Neverwhere" might actually be better - and just as creative with a very different worldview. I love well written creative fantasy that isn't dependent on an attempt to recreate Tolkien. I do love Tolkien, btw, but too many have tried to recreate him rather than to find their own unique voice. I do like GOOD sword and sorcery fantasy, but there is so little out there is actually worth taking minutes from my life to read. "Neverwhere" is far from sword and sorcery, well developed characters, and the premise is quite creative.

This makes me even more inclined to start checking out all of his published works!

"House Next Door" sounds intriguing, I will check it out.

I really like my Nook (no glowlight, all I can connect to is the Nook store via WiFi). I prefer actual books for NON-fiction for some reason, but for fiction/relaxation/escape reading I almost prefer the Nook. While the kettlebell training appears to be helping my arthritic hands, the Nook is more comfortable to my hands than holding a book for long periods of time. I read more with it

I am on Good Reads as well. Isn't it possible to start a list there that multiple users can interact with? It might be very interesting to see a "TE Recommendations" list. I will check this out in the next day or so.

I'm pretty sure there is a ton of us on Goodreads. Are a ton of us?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    And it's ELEGANTLY written--just beautifully, quietly done. Let me know what you think whenever you get to it!
    Will do! I love ARS' writing.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'm on Goodreads.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

"Neverwhere" was my first Gaiman and I have to say it ruined me for everything else. I think it's his best book. Not that the other one's aren't but Neverwhere is just a class of its own.

I'm currently catching up on all the things I didn't read way back when, but should've. So at the moment I'm burning through some Margaret Atwoods. And I keep wondering why I never made a point of reading all these books on my list.

I'm on Goodreads too, if anyone's interested. I promise I'll be better about updating my reading list

Quote Originally Posted by finnporter View Post
    "Neverwhere" was my first Gaiman and I have to say it ruined me for everything else. I think it's his best book. Not that the other one's aren't but Neverwhere is just a class of its own.

I'm currently catching up on all the things I didn't read way back when, but should've. So at the moment I'm burning through some Margaret Atwoods. And I keep wondering why I never made a point of reading all these books on my list.

I'm on Goodreads too, if anyone's interested. I promise I'll be better about updating my reading list
    "Neverwhere" currently goes everywhere with me in case I've a few minutes to read even a few paragraphis, it is that good! I've been on Goodreads for a long time but haven't been consistent with it. I will get better at updating my reading/wanting to read lists

I still haven't checked on a multi-user reading list, and that probably won't happen until Sunday evening but I promise that I will do it.

I've read Predictably Irrational this week which I found quite fascinating. I just finished the first book in the series Irulan suggested. I found it very hard to put down and have the second one loaded to begin reading.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Glad you liked my rec!
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Witthim - thanks for the recommendation for The Bellringers Quite a good book, and I am not usually one for political thrillers that aren't set in current times.

I did look at Goodreads, and there IS an option to start up a group. I could do that if there is enough interest, but that is probably overly complicated since we have this thread.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-28-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Curious what people are reading right now.

I went to the library today and walked out with quite the eclectic collection:

Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam
    Virgil's Aeneid (translated by Robert Fagles)
    J.R.R. Tolkein's version of The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun

Thankfully these books can be renewed, and will need to be - especially the second two. It's been years since I've gotten into epic verse however, and I've not read the Aeneid before. I figure since I am challenging my body as I've already begun training/preparing for GS (kettlebell sport) competition that it is a good time to also challenge my brain. Epic verse is almost like another language. It is captivating in a different way than prose when it is done well. I really want to read Tolkein's translation of Beowulf but my library still has it on order. Pratchett is for lunch-time reading :-)

I also checked out a CD version of Pratchett & Gaim's Good Omen. I spend 30 minutes in the car every morning and evening and am so tired of the local radio stations and the repetitive content on NPR. I've not listened to a book for a long time.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-31-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Just finished the latest Harry Dresden novel and am reading Benedict Jacka's Chosen. Looking forward to the latest Meredith Gentry novel that comes out Tuesday.

I admire those that read to learn and exercise the brain, but I only read for entertainment.
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Just finished the latest Harry Dresden novel and am reading Benedict Jacka's Chosen. Looking forward to the latest Meredith Gentry novel that comes out Tuesday.

I admire those that read to learn and exercise the brain, but I only read for entertainment.
    I didn't say it wasn't entertaining :-) I love what captivates my little pea brain, and the old massive epic poems DO if they are translated well. They open up a very different world, very enjoyable - that is why I like them. Of course, Dostoevsky is my favorite all-time author so that probably says something.

I've read some of the Harry Dresden novels and enjoyed them, that is another author I want to read more of. I am really looking forward to the combination of Pratchett and Gaim, two of my favorite more modern authors. I recently read Gaim's "Neverwhere" and found it, well, astoundingly good!

I am also finishing up Barbara Cleverly's Bright Hair About the Bone, the second of the Leatitia Talbot Mysteries. Enjoyable, and there is always a bit of tie into history in her books, at least the ones I've so far read.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-31-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't entertaining :-) I love what captivates my little pea brain, and the old massive epic poems DO if they are translated well. They open up a very different world, very enjoyable - that is why I like them. Of course, Dostoevsky is my favorite all-time author so that probably says something.

I've read some of the Harry Dresden novels and enjoyed them, that is another author I want to read more of. I am really looking forward to the combination of Pratchett and Gaim, two of my favorite more modern authors. I recently read Gaim's "Neverwhere" and found it, well, astoundingly good!
    If it's entertaining then that's even more awesome. You work the brain and get some entertainment to boot, awesome combo!
    2013 Electra Verse

Recently finished Junot Diaz' The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which was amazing--read his other two books right afterwards. Now starting the latest Harry Dresden.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Wow, I don't challenge myself with that kind of reading, Catrin! Too much like school. My reading is strictly for pleasure or informational/professional.
    I am in the process of reading Maeve Binchy's last book. It was published after she died. It's actually a collection of very short stories, all based on characters on Chestnut St. in Dublin, called Chestnut Street. I generally don't read too many short story collections, and this reminds me I should. I skipped May's selection of the Woman's Adventure Book Club, but I did download the June one, which is Miles From Nowhere, and it's about a cycling trip, I think in the seventies?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport