Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Uterine ablation anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

A couple years ago I started having problems with my cycle and excessive bleeding. About a year ago I had biopsies on my uterine lining and on a polyp that was on my cervix. Those were fine. I also had a cyst on my ovary, but on my last ultersound in December that had also gone away.

Anyway, for the bleeding problem the doc put me on "The Pill" and I've been on it a year. It has lightened my cycle considerably. However, I'm still bleeding for several days several times a month. I'd say an average of 20 days. I'm scheduled to go back to the doc on 04/11 and I was going to ask him about ablation because he mentioned that is another treatment option. The way they do it there is it's an in-office procedure and they insert a balloon into your uterus and fill it will super hot water. I know there are different types of ablation, but that's how they do it there.

I'd like to get this resolved for many reasons, but it's playing heck with my riding too!

Thoughts, opinions?
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I had a uterine ablation about 5 years ago. It was wonderful for about a year. I didn't have a period for a whole year, then started having lighter ones the next, heaver the next, and eventually going back to the old pattern of hemorrhaging about 20 days out of the month. My Dr was concerned because this is a symptom of endomytrial cancer and suggested a hysterectomy. I didn't want a hysterectomy, but the gyn said that the walls of my uterus had grown together because of the ablation, making it impossible to do a proper biopsy. Had to have a hysterectomy. I have heard others have had different results, hopefully you will too.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I've had an endometrial biopsy so "knock on wood" that shouldn't be an issue. At this office they do the procedure where they put a balloon in you and fill it with hot water. We'll see how that goes and what the doc says.
    2013 Electra Verse

That sounds a lot like what I had 11 or so years ago...Thermachoice or Thermacare, IIRC. Really worked great. I have endometriosis, so it's cut way back on my hemorrhaging. Now my issue is perimenopause and SHORT (23 days, if I'm lucky) cycles...with light bleeding for 8-10 days. So I'm bleeding for 1/3-1/2 of each month. I've started on Prometrium/progesterone to help with that.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

That's how it was for me. I was on a 21 day cycle and bleeding like a stuck pig. The pill has lightened my bleeding significantly, which is nice, but I'm still bleeding a good chunk of the month.

Originally they thought I might have periomenopause, but I've been tested and it's not that.
    2013 Electra Verse

I was having the same problems with heavy bleeding and terrible cramps. I had an ablation back in 2005. My periods were much lighter with much less pain for about three years. About the time I turned 40 I was back to the heavy bleeding and the cramps were becoming unmanageable. I wound up going back on the pill and it has managed my symptoms nicely. Now my best friend had the procedure a few months after me and she never had another period again and has had no problems. My doctor did say the older you are when you have it done the more likely you are not have periods at all. I was only 36 at the time and my friend was 44. I won't say I was unhappy with the results of my ablation, but I do wish my periods had gone away forever like my friend!

I'll be 44 this month. The pill has lightened my periods considerably, but I'm still having two periods a month and bleeding around 20 days.
    2013 Electra Verse

I was a lucky one but a good friend has a similar issue. She found an excellent naturopath and massage therapist and has seen immense improvement without having any surgery.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Re: Uterine ablation anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    I was a lucky one but a good friend has a similar issue. She found an excellent naturopath and massage therapist and has seen immense improvement without having any surgery.
    Great suggestion, wish that sort if thing was covered under my insurance. Though I wouldn't be able to do the massage therapist part. I can't stand strangers touching me that way.
    2013 Electra Verse

Wow, that's a lot for being on the pill. I wouldn't hesitate to look into the ablation.

Re: Uterine ablation anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly5 View Post
    Wow, that's a lot for being on the pill. I wouldn't hesitate to look into the ablation.
    Thanks :-) I see my doc Thursday and I'll talk to him about it.
    2013 Electra Verse