Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Any Feedback/Opinions on Rove Women's Bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am about to buy a bike - haven't ridden in a while, but am in fairly good shape from other exercise.

Can anyone give me feedback on the Rove? Not the Rove 2, but the top-of-the-line Rove?

It's designed for a woman, so I think that's good since I am smallish (5'5" - 125 lbs).

It's a crossover that can also do trails, which I want (will not be doing any serious trails - just the occasional change in terrain to a packed mud road with a bit of gravel). And, it's supposed to be good at climbing hills, which is important for where I live.

The cost is $980, which I can swing.

Thanks,
    BKinCO

It looks like a very reasonable bike for that price. It is still more of a mountain bike than what I would consider a multi-surface bike. If you are only packed dirt with a bit of gravel, the front end suspension may be overkill and you might be able to get another bike in a similar price range that is more like a cyclocross bike. It would be lighter and faster and can handle gravel just fine. For example this bike which is just slightly more expensive and is also a WSD bike.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Hi Wahine,

I actually considered the Invite but decided I really need the flat bar rather than the drop. I feel pretty comfortable that I made the right decision. Down the road, I'd like to possibly get a road bike, but since I'm just getting into it all, I think the flat bar will make me more secure.

Really appreciate your posting, though. It's kind of amazing that people will essentially give their time away to help others find the right bike. Great, supportive place. So impressed at everyone's thoughtfulness and feedback. Hope I can do it for someone else "down the road" when I become more knowledgeable.

BKinCO

You could still go with more of a cyclocross type bike, use 35 mm wide tires and a flat bar. It's not that unusual for a people to ride flat bar cyclocross bikes. Or I would consider a bike like the Rove but with a rigid fork, instead of a suspension fork. Suspension forks are heavy and require maintenance. With the kind of riding you're planning on doing, it's not really necessary. Though to be honest it might be nearly impossible to find a mountain bike type set-up with a rigid fork.

Though I loathe to recommend Specialized (for business ethics reasons), have you considered something like this?

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Here's Giant's similar model.

It certainly comes with a hill climbing friendly gearing set up.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

That Surly would be a great option.

And thank you for the compliment. It's very nice to feel appreciated.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Does it make a difference that the suspension fork on the Rove can be turned off when on the road?

The plush suspension fork can be locked out for smooth pavement or flipped open for off-road excursions.

Thanks for your help!
    BKinCO
    Last edited by BKinCO; 04-04-2014 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO View Post
    Does it make a difference that the suspension fork on the Rove can be turned off when on the road?

The plush suspension fork can be locked out for smooth pavement or flipped open for off-road excursions.

Thanks for your help!
    BKinCO
    It might make a difference, but quite frankly, I never felt the need to lock out my suspension fork when on the road. You can NEVER go wrong with Surly

What Murienn said. Plus, locking out the suspension takes care of the suspension absorbing some of your effort that should go into forward movement, but it's still heavy and it still needs regular maintenance which can be $100 or more dollars and is recommended every year. I stretch mine out to every 2 years but I like to live on the edge.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thumbs up Soon to be the proud owner of a SURLY TROLL

Wahine, a Specialized wasn't an option for me here.

I listened carefully to you, Muirenn and others who were kind enough to post, and I ordered the Troll. The bike shop that carries them here turned out to be fantastic, and I feel ecstatic about my purchase.

THANKS for all the specific technical advice and educating me about the heaviness of the suspension and fact that the Giant was more of a mountain bike, which wasn't what I needed. I learned from the SURLY shop owner more about what you were saying -- how versatile the Troll is, and that's amazing. Makes me feel like I made the right choice because I know I can change out a few things if I want to lean more toward mountain or street somewhere "down the road." Fantastic bike from what I can tell. I'm so excited!

SO, the bike comes in next week, and I should be on my first ride next Friday - oh, and just as an added perk, it's the groovy eggplant color which I LOVE - as one of you girls said - drool worthy.

Woohoo.......so relieved to be on my way to a new life of riding with a wonderful bike........YAY.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU EVERYONE.......FOR TAKING THE TIME AND GIVING ME KNOWLEDGE THAT I NEEDED!!

YOUR NEWEST NEWBIE BUDDY,

BKINCO

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I'm trying to understand this thread. Why didn't the original poster give a link to the bike model? Was this a troll start.. or?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Ok never mind. But etiquette in this forum should be for new participants, is to post the bike pic.
    Later I'm not going to do extra research. (Seriously.)
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Yay!!! I'm so glad you chose the Troll. You'll be very happy with it I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing photos of the new bike when you get it up and running.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Good Choice, I have the Troll's big brother - Surly ECR and I will post photos after out ride tomorrow
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I'm new to the site so I didn't know I was supposed to post a pic - will do that when I get the bike, which should be next week. Am I missing something? Confused by Shooting Star's posts. Anyway, I will post a picture when I get the bike. Thanks again for your help Wahine.

In the meantime, here is a link to the website picture:

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll