Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spring Time Runs: April Running

To disable ads, please log-in.

Not much of an original thread title sorry.

Started April off with 8 miles. The first 5 come easy, always struggle around mile 6-7. It was a beautiful day. Runs longer than 5 miles take me to the downtown water front. Saw a dolphin today. Made it all worth the distance.

I have a bike ride in NC in less than 2 weeks. Not prepared at all as it will be a bit hilly (understatement) and I am undertrained (severely!).

Happy April miles to all!

K
    katluvr

I've run every day of April, so far, despite the pollen count. Outside in shorts, even! Yesterday was only 1.5 miles, as the pollen was especially bad on that route. Now I remember why I don't run in that neighborhood this time of year; the huge street trees are beautiful, but... Today was back to the treadmill due to thunderstorms in the area. Saturday is race day, 8k cross-country. Running amid pollen-producers, sigh. Wouldn't be doing it, but it's part of a 3-pack of races I signed up for.

The extra-low extra-early rates for our marathon in may 2015 ends in about a week, need to decide on the half or whole. Tough call. Need to see what provision they have for switching at a later date.

Getting down to the wire.

I got back home on Tuesday and had an insanely hard interval workout scheduled for Wednesday. It was an epic fail. A combination of many different factors, but the emotional ones were the biggest. Transitioning from one place to another is always really hard on me, and this year so much of my emotional energy is devoted to the marathon training, that I'm even still completely unprepared to be here, and Wednesday I was pretty much in shock.

So today was my tempo run, which because it's the first time I've seen hills in four months, I'd negotiated down to 8 miles instead of 10 (plus warmup and drills as always). I was really glad of that, even though I kind of cheated and ran it on a somewhat flatter loop than I'd talked about with my coach, because my confidence was so wrecked from Wednesday. I spent most of this morning just freaking out about attempting it. And then I went and did it. Not only did I finish the 8 miles within goal pace, but I only even had one mile split that was over, and that one was basically all uphill.

I'm still too much of a mess mentally to be feeling any kind of boost from getting the workout done, but I know how badly it would've set me back if I hadn't been able to stay on pace, so I'll take that.

Sixteen days.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

You can and will do it Oak! You have worked so hard. I am very proud of you. Hang in there. Take the positive energy her at TE that support and admire your dedication!

K
    katluvr

You can do this Oak! You are already doing so well, and you met your goal the other day by completing at your goal pace!

The Boston Marathon One Run hit downtown Indianapolis yesterday, they got a lot of good coverage.

I imagine the switch to running on hills from the flatlands of Florida is enough to make anyone a doubter. But, you know you can do it. It's good you can be a little flexible with your training plan and still get it done. I keep thinking that if I had a coach, s/he would be yelling at me all of the time!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

You're doing great, Oak! hang in there...

My race Saturday was tough. I'm used to running exclusively on pavement, so a cross-country is out of my comfort zone. And the pollen was fierce: by 3k in, my eyes were burning and nose running. I ended up walking a lot of the second half of the race, but oh well. The mud was interesting; my shoes stayed on and I didn't fall (unlike some!) and I finished. But I've run 10ks significantly faster than this 8k. Last year, however, this race was my one and only DNF-- the antihistamine I was using then was not anywhere close to adequate, felt like there was an elephant sitting on my chest.

Back to the treadmill this week I expect, until the pollen count comes down significantly. I'm still dealing with lingering effects from yesterday.

Did some running as part of my group conditioning workout this morning, and while my cough was a problem, the actual running felt fine! Now I just need to strike that right balance between rest and exercise until my recent asthma flare is completely gone. It's been a few years and I'd forgotten that it does take time to get over the cough. I will try some treadmill work Tuesday after my group training depending on how things feel.

Short, slow 3.4 miles this AM. It's getting warm (nice) here in FL, so I'll have to revamp my running time soon. Legs were a bit tired after yesterday's bike ride. We did 37 miles in a hilly (for FL) section in preparation for our NC bike ride this weekend. We are DEFINITELY not ready--it will be slow and ugly, but I'm sure the scenery will be great!

K
    katluvr

You've so got this Oak. We have enough confidence in you to make up for the momentary lapse of your own.

I did my first April run yesterday - 11 miles. I was spot on for pace and it was a lovely day, but the backs of my knees were killing me and my foot is a tad swollen today. I'm happy to have gotten it done, but again...skipping a week of running and only doing the long run is stupid. I need to stop being stupid.

My next 1/2 is in less than two weeks. I'm not even sure what to expect in terms of performance, so I have been trying not to think about it too much.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Yesterday I did my leg of the One Run for Boston relay, benefiting The One Fund Boston. It was pretty amazing having the baton in my hand, knowing that I was part of an unbroken chain of runners that started at the Pacific Ocean just three weeks ago, and has been running 24/7 toward Boston ever since.

The forecast had been for a chilly rain, at least in the last hour of my run, so I stashed a jacket and cap, and was VERY glad that I got my stage done before the rain hit! Some of the runners later on yesterday weren't so lucky, though.

My latest freak-out is seeing how little of a taper I'm getting ... cutting the long run mileage, but still one more 10-mile tempo run on Friday ... as Charlie Brown would say, aaaaaaaaaauuugh.

Sounds great Oak! So glad you were able to participate. I know you will meet your goal for the next one! I don't know much about tapering yet, but with all of us rooting for you how can you not rock this?

You can taper, Oak!
    Looking forward to that dinner... and hearing about how all of your hard work paid off!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Well, Coach swears this was my last hard run before race day. I nailed the pace, hills and all - pretty close to the same elevation gain for today's 10 miles at race pace as the entire Marathon has - and that does help my confidence.

I just hope my legs recover in the next 10 days, because they sure are cooked now.

Sounds great Oakleaf! I think 10 days should be more than enough and I bet you will feel more than ready in 10 days time, how could you not with all of us rooting for you?