Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Another annoying "which bike should I get" post...sorry ladies but I need feedback!

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is my last Thread about this ...promise haha!

I currently have a '13 Trek Lexa SLX which is an aluminum/carbon mix of domane frame and 105/tiagra components. I want to upgrade to something lighter, carbon, and faster. I don't race but I need something to keep up with group rides and climb hills as smoothly as possible. I want a bike that I will be happy with for a while which reflects frame and components. I don't want to cheap out but my budget really is around $2.5K. $3K is such a reach and I can only do it if it is hands down an awesome and perfect bike. I own 2 Treks and they seem to fit me well so I'm sticking with the brand. Current options I am considering are below -

2013 Trek Madone 4.5 WSd - $2,200 (Sale of $430 off retail price)
    Trek Bicycle

(I don't like the 2014 Trek WSD options which include a hot pink 4.3 or a jump up to 6 series for $4,500. They don't have anything in between which sucks so I'm also looking at the '14 Domane 4 series.)

2014 Trek Domane 4.3 WSD - Would cost $2,000 mainly 105 components. A bit heavier than the Madone. (Weight does matter because I am somewhat petite and I'd like to haul lower weight if possible.)

Trek Bicycle

2014 Trek Domane 4.7 WSD - Would cost $3,100. All new Ultegra components and light weight like the '13 Madone. I know that 105 is good but I can definitely tell the weight difference picking up a bike w/ Ultegra vs 105 but this is a huge reach financially.
    Trek Bicycle

Let me know what you think. I know that ultimately, it is my choice but as far as what I would be getting for my money and how satisfied I will be long term, I'd like to defer to more experiences riders. Thanks in advance!

When I bought my bike, I talked to people in 3-4 shops. I was upgrading from an aluminum frame with sora/tiagra. One of them said that difference between 105 and ultegra would not be nearly as obvious as the improvement from sora/tiagra, the carbon frame and the better wheels in $2000 range. The Trek 47 cm was too big for me, and the next model with 43 cm was more than my budget, so I ended up with a Specialized Ruby and have been happy.

I found this you tube video from Trek explaining the difference between the Madone and Domane as far as what they offer- the Domane being more stable and comfortable and the Madone a little more speed oriented. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYev6gjzfSU

Maybe that will help a little.

Sharon
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Hey guys - Maybe it is the better wheels..The '13 Madone and the '14 Domane 4.7 have Bontrager Race and Ultegra. All I know is that just lifting up the bikes...you can tell a big difference as they are much lighter than the '14 Domane 4.3 with regular alloy wheels and 105 components. Thanks for the video sharon...it's tough bc both bikes argue being fast and lightweight...ugh. I imagine the '13 Madone is best for me but it is a big purchase and I need to make sure. I'll try to test ride but I know that they don't have my size in stock for the new domanes.

If I am understanding correctly, the '13 Madone and the '14 Domane have the same components and wheels, and one costs $900 more than the other. Are you comfortable riding the Madone? Does it fit you well?

If you want to be able to ride faster, and the fit of the Madone is comfortable for you, and you're not having problems with discomfort from rough roads when you ride your Lexa, then I think the 2013 Madone is the right choice.

How about this -- you're considering a 2013 bike. We're well into the 2014 model season, so the shop wants to sell that bike. Will they let you take it on a long test ride? That would give you a chance to get a good feel for it. Ideally you can include a few hills so you can get a sense for how it climbs.

My Madone 4.7 was on sale when I bought it because it was from the previous model year. The shop manager let me go for a 30-mile ride with it before I bought it. I was concerned about the gearing being insufficient for the steeper hills in the area, and he wanted to make sure I was happy with it before I bought it. That test ride completely sold me on the bike. I realized after a few miles that my shoulders were no longer hunched when I rode, because the reach was better than my old bike. I could feel that the carbon frame absorbed the bumps from uneven pavement better than my old aluminum bike. And I was able to confirm that I could make it up a couple of steep hills with similar effort to my old bike.

Now I'm a regular of that particular LBS, which is probably one reason why they were willing to let me take off with the bike for more than two hours. But still, the shop you're dealing with might let you take the 2013 bike out for 45-60 minutes. It's worth asking.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    If I am understanding correctly, the '13 Madone and the '14 Domane have the same components and wheels, and one costs $900 more than the other. Are you comfortable riding the Madone? Does it fit you well?

If you want to be able to ride faster, and the fit of the Madone is comfortable for you, and you're not having problems with discomfort from rough roads when you ride your Lexa, then I think the 2013 Madone is the right choice.

How about this -- you're considering a 2013 bike. We're well into the 2014 model season, so the shop wants to sell that bike. Will they let you take it on a long test ride? That would give you a chance to get a good feel for it. Ideally you can include a few hills so you can get a sense for how it climbs.

My Madone 4.7 was on sale when I bought it because it was from the previous model year. The shop manager let me go for a 30-mile ride with it before I bought it. I was concerned about the gearing being insufficient for the steeper hills in the area, and he wanted to make sure I was happy with it before I bought it. That test ride completely sold me on the bike. I realized after a few miles that my shoulders were no longer hunched when I rode, because the reach was better than my old bike. I could feel that the carbon frame absorbed the bumps from uneven pavement better than my old aluminum bike. And I was able to confirm that I could make it up a couple of steep hills with similar effort to my old bike.

Now I'm a regular of that particular LBS, which is probably one reason why they were willing to let me take off with the bike for more than two hours. But still, the shop you're dealing with might let you take the 2013 bike out for 45-60 minutes. It's worth asking.
    Hey NY BIKER ! YEs - You are pretty much on point. Both bikes are 400 series carbon. The 2013 Madone 4.5 has 6700 Ultegra and Bontrager Race Wheels. The 2014 Domane 4.7 has the new ( I think 6800 Ultegra??) with 11 speeds and Bontrager race wheels. So the Domane comfort frame and new 11 speed Ultegra are the only different components between the 2 bikes for the $900 difference. I will definitely take the Madone out for a longer ride. There is a vicious hill right near the shop which will probably be the test. I like the Madone and honestly, coming from an aluminum/carbon mix frame, the carbon frame on the Madone is very comfortable despite the fact that the Domane might be even more comfortable.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Another annoying "which bike should I get" response: The one that fits. If it doesn't fit, you won't want to ride it.

Another annoying "which bike should I get" post...sorry ladies but I need feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Another annoying "which bike should I get" response: The one that fits. If it doesn't fit, you won't want to ride it.
    Lol! Thanks but both the trek madone and domane 50cm bikes fit me well. I ended up getting the Madone...found it to be better handling