Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Help...need to make decision soon...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 2013 trek lexa slx....I love this bike and it's sentimental bc it's my first road bike....I have treated it like my baby...stored it inside and found out today that its value has depreciated to half of what I paid for it just bc it is "used." So I'm struggling with selling it and taking such a hit but I can't afford a new bike without selling it.
    I'm moving out of state and want to join group rides to enjoy biking but also meet friends. I want to purchase grok my local bike shop I trust before I move. I want a carbon bike to b able to keep up better and want either the trek madone or domane 4 series. I found a deal on a 2013 Madone wsd 4.5 for $2,300 (retail is $2,630). I like the comfort of the 2014 domane 4.3 wsd which costs $2,200 but the components are 105 rather than the ultegra set on the '13 madone. The new '14 madone 4.3 wsd costs $2,050 and has a fun paint job but again, the components are 105 groupset.
    After all of this rambling, my questions are:

Is buying a '13 model bike bad bc it has had many test rides by this point and has been sitting in the shop or is it fine and I should take this deal?

What are your thoughts on domane vs madone? (I don't race and want to feel stable and comfortable but I'm definitely looking to increase speed enough that I'm not struggling to keep up like I sometimes am with my lexa now.)

Thanks! I can only have the madone on hold for a few days and I have a productive buyer for my lexa...

Quote Originally Posted by J9L View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading from my 2013 trek lexa slx....I love this bike and it's sentimental bc it's my first road bike....I have treated it like my baby...stored it inside and found out today that its value has depreciated to half of what I paid for it just bc it is "used." So I'm struggling with selling it and taking such a hit but I can't afford a new bike without selling it.
    I'm moving out of state and want to join group rides to enjoy biking but also meet friends. I want to purchase grok my local bike shop I trust before I move. I want a carbon bike to b able to keep up better and want either the trek madone or domane 4 series. I found a deal on a 2013 Madone wsd 4.5 for $2,300 (retail is $2,630). I like the comfort of the 2014 domane 4.3 wsd which costs $2,200 but the components are 105 rather than the ultegra set on the '13 madone. The new '14 madone 4.3 wsd costs $2,050 and has a fun paint job but again, the components are 105 groupset.
    After all of this rambling, my questions are:

Is buying a '13 model bike bad bc it has had many test rides by this point and has been sitting in the shop or is it fine and I should take this deal?

What are your thoughts on domane vs madone? (I don't race and want to feel stable and comfortable but I'm definitely looking to increase speed enough that I'm not struggling to keep up like I sometimes am with my lexa now.)

Thanks! I can only have the madone on hold for a few days and I have a productive buyer for my lexa...
    I don't have a Trek. But based on the internet, the Domane is more of an endurance bike but the Madone is more of a race bike. I have a Specialized Amira which is considered a race bike, but I have used it on centuries and I feel that the Amira is more comfortable for me than the Ruby (endurance bike from Specialized). The Domane and the Madone probably feels and fits differently when you ride. If you can't tell the difference, then it doesn't really matter whether you get the Domane or the Madone.

Assuming that you are ok with both the 2013 and the 2014 colors and that the size of the bike and the feel of the bike fits you equally whether it is a Domane or a Madone, then I personally would buy the 2013 Madone with Ultegra if the test rides are just circles in the parking lot. If the 2013 Madone with Ultegra has been used as a demo bike with huge amount of mileage, that is a different story.

If you feel that riding the Domane feels more comfortable than riding the Madone, I would pick the Domane even if it has the 105 instead of the Ultegra.
    Last edited by TigerMom; 03-25-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

I wouldn't expect to be any faster on a Madone than your Lexa. Get it because you want it, not because you think you'll be faster because I think you'll be disappointed. My partner has a 2013 Madone 4.5 with ultegra and I have a Jamis Quest, which is steel, with 105s. She's about equally fast on both bikes. There's very little difference. For The most part speed is in the legs, not the bike.

Good luck on your decision!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I agree wholeheartedly with what Muirenn said.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Re: Help...need to make decision soon...

thank you everyone for taking the time to respond I test rode both bikes and honestly the domanr feels exactly like my lexa and it really wouldn't be an upgrade for me but I have to say...the madone has so much kick when you step on it. I definitely notice a significant difference in speed. I have decided to definitely get a madone and I'm now deciding between this 2013 model with Ultegra and the new 2014 model with 105's. The price of the 2013 is $2,300. The price of the 2014 is $2,000. As silly as it sounds the paint job on the 2013 model is absolutely fine but its not that exciting. The 2014 model is flashy and fun but I don't know if Id get sick of the pink...any advice lol? also do you think that there will be a big difference between Ultegra and 105? thanks so much in advance. I posted a link to each of the models so you can see the paint job.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...wsd_h3_compact

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes..._3_wsd_compact

Going by look only I would go with pink. may be because mine is partly pink and suits my style better. Lol and we do not see that colour around much here. So makes me special. Hihi

It looks like there's a slight difference in gearing:

Crank: Shimano R565, 50/34 (compact)

Cassette: Shimano 105 11-28, 10 speed

Crank: Shimano R565, 50/34 (compact)

Cassette: Shimano Tiagra 12-30, 10 speed

I might be wrong, but I think the 30-cog on the 4.3 is an easier gear for hills than the 28-cog on the 4.5, if that matters to you. On the other hand, my bike has an 11-28 cassette and I find it adequate for steep hills. So it might not make a difference, unless you ride in a very hilly area.

As for color, my old road bike was silver. My new road bike is also silver. I find the color of my bike to be boring. But I got a good deal on it (end of season price), which is why I bought it instead of getting a different model in another color. When I'm riding it, I am not thinking of the color, I'm just thinking that I like to ride my bike.

I actually saw the 2013 bike you're considering at the LBS the other day, and I thought the blue accents looked sharp

p.s. I think the wheels on the 2013 bike might be faster. I have Race Lite wheels, and they're noticeably faster when I'm coasting than the wheels on my old bike.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I haven't looked at the two different model years to compare them but it looks like ny biker summarized them well. I'd agree with her that the 12-30 cassette might be important if you ride in an area with steeper hills, if not, the functional difference between the two is probably minimal.

As for 105 vs Ultegra. Both are good group sets. I have always felt that the price jump from 105 to Ultegra was worth the cost difference, but to be honest, unless you ride both back to back and are a picky rider (like me) you likely will be happy with the 105.

I would actually base my decision between model years on the wheels. I would go for the better wheel set, the wheelset is far mor important to me in how a bike feels and rides. I didn't look up the wheel specs but you can talk to the LBS or look them up online.

ETA: I just looked at the models with the links on your other thread about color. The specs don't really give you any useful information on wheels. I would as the LBS to weigh the wheels for you in real life and see if there is a significant difference in weight.

About color, the pink would be a deal breaker for me. But that's me. I dislike most shades of pink and I dispise that companies feel that by putting pink on something women are going to want to buy it.
    Last edited by Wahine; 03-27-2014 at 08:05 AM.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Re: Help...need to make decision soon...

Thanks Wahine..I agree a lot of womens bikes are in cheasy colors. I am not particularly a pink person either but the hot pink looks kind of cool against the black and white. The more I think about it though ...the only reason I would be upgrading is to get the best possible bike for my money and that other madone is definitely the better buy. The colors are fine I guess I'm more into a glossy carbon finish than matte...I wish the bikes came with more options for color schemes

Quote Originally Posted by J9L View Post
    Thanks Wahine..I agree a lot of womens bikes are in cheasy colors. I am not particularly a pink person either but the hot pink looks kind of cool against the black and white. The more I think about it though ...the only reason I would be upgrading is to get the best possible bike for my money and that other madone is definitely the better buy. The colors are fine I guess I'm more into a glossy carbon finish than matte...I wish the bikes came with more options for color schemes
    You can do a lot with accessories like bar tape and tires with colored side walls to make the bike pop a bit more. I have a fairly boring bike, primarily white with black and silver accents. When it was time for a wheel upgrade I had wheels built with white hubs and rims. The bike looks way better now, not flashy but eye catching in a classy sort of way.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I have one, older (2007) bike with Ultegra and another custom bike with 105s, because they didn't not make the short reach brifters for Ultegra anymore. After a few years, each group gets an upgrade, so what was Ultegra like 7 years ago, is now 105. Hence, I feel absolutely no difference in the shifting on my two bikes, other than the fact one's a compact and the other is a triple. They both shift perfectly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I would go with 2013 model. JMHO

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    You can do a lot with accessories like bar tape and tires with colored side walls to make the bike pop a bit more. I have a fairly boring bike, primarily white with black and silver accents. When it was time for a wheel upgrade I had wheels built with white hubs and rims. The bike looks way better now, not flashy but eye catching in a classy sort of way.
    Agree

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"