Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is why DH doesn't want to move to a condo.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Then what is the solution for 1 level home? Believe me, one does not want to live indepedendently in a multi-level house in the last decade or so of life. I saw what happened to my father, who was healthy (except for cancer) and mobile until 6 months before he died @ 85 yrs. last year. His bed ended up being in the living rm. as soon as you open the front door. He couldn't be upstairs.

Now we worry about our mother- she's by herself in a 3 level house with 3 bedrooms. She'll stay there --resolutely until something terrible happens.

Townhouse at least one can have less maintenance....?
    A bungalow is rarer and rarer these days at least, less of them are being built in the cities where I am and have been in the past.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-12-2015 at 06:11 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

We have lots of one level separate homes and condos (that look more like duplexes or row houses) in our area. Some with garages. Some with HOA's that cover all exterior maintenance. Many of them are purchased by retirees.

We're house searching now (looking to buy something for med school that is less of a commute) and we're definitely considering these issues. I've ruled out stacked condos (since I wouldn't want to be on the bottom and I doubt people would want us on top) - except for a well-sound-insulated new building. We don't want a separate house because we just won't have time for the upkeep.

Hugs to Trek and Knott - i can't even imagine how frustrating that must be!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I've ruled out stacked condos (since I wouldn't want to be on the bottom and I doubt people would want us on top) - except for a well-sound-insulated new building.
    Does someone play a musical instrument/music or?

Life is not perfect in a condo but I would not be interested in the upkeep for a standalone or even semi-detached home. A sister lives by herself in a 2 bedroom semi detached--2 levels. Her home. She has balance issues at times, and now is deaf in 1 ear. She ...is only 54 yrs.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Does someone play a musical instrument/music or?

Life is not perfect in a condo but I would not be interested in the upkeep for a standalone or even semi-detached home. A sister lives by herself in a 2 bedroom semi detached--2 levels. Her home. She has balance issues at times, and now is deaf in 1 ear. She ...is only 54 yrs.
    We both ride bike trainers, we have pets (including a 100+ pound dog who is with us sometimes) who run around, and DH is one of those people whose "walking sounds" would suggest that he is far heavier than he is.

Some of the semi-detached homes here have HOA's that maintain everything on the outside. You just worry about the inside. They're set up as condos legally, but they look like houses.

Trek and Knott,

My heart goes out to both of you. No one should put up with such non-sense and hope that the restraining order will do something. And maybe as you say, she is in early stages of dementia. As awful as it may sound, it may be better for her if her dementia advances quickly. I think its more cruel for people to linger in stages of dementia. There is no quality of life to the person nor to the family.

Something is really wrong with our culture when the "trouble maker" is allowed to go on with their business, while consciencious neighbor has to tolerate/put up with the CRAP.

We have quite a few of those, too, but I've heard the crazy neighbor issues get even thornier with just one other HOA member.
    We are leaning toward just buying a smaller home. There aren't too many one level homes here, and I'm good with that. If I need to move again when I'm 85, well, my kids can deal with that...
    There is an over 55 community about 3 miles from here, in Acton. Detached patio homes, with a great floor plan (our neighbors moved to one with the same design in Sudbury). I have sworn I would not move to one an age restricted community, and what's worse, it's on a golf course, not my kind of people. But, it's detached, has a 2 car garage, and a basement that can be finished. Bedroom on main floor, one upstairs, and a huge loft that could be an exercise space. Also, a study and full dining room and eat in kitchen, along with great room. The price is right, but they are almost sold out. I just can't get myself to move this year.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    We both ride bike trainers, we have pets (including a 100+ pound dog who is with us sometimes) who run around, and DH is one of those people whose "walking sounds" would suggest that he is far heavier than he is.

Some of the semi-detached homes here have HOA's that maintain everything on the outside. You just worry about the inside. They're set up as condos legally, but they look like houses.
    Sounds like a solution, Blueberry. And understandable especially with bike trainers. We live near major bike-ped. paths that go more than 30 km. long and connect up to routes, in Calgary and Vancouver. So no need for bike trainers for us. Interesting about the dog. In Vancouver, our highrise condo does have quite a number of dog owners --both big and small. We do see dog walkers with multiple leashes coming out of the elevator..that's how I know about a lot of dogs.

Seems like dog owners in condos and apartments have trained dog not to bark hardly at all or its something else. There's a dog that is in the unit above me. I hardly hear it bark. I don't mind if a dog barks occasionally but not left alone all day to bark. I actually consider ok for some owners in condo building, to have a well trained, cared-for dog....they are another measure of security for the building. I personally know of 2 different people where their dog, alerted a home invader by barking forever.

Also outside the front door of building, is a doggie dish most times, with water. There are also hooks to temporarily tie up dog on leash for a few min. But not for long, because your dog might get stolen. Seriously, this happens in Vancouver at times.

Just make sure you live near a park, it motivates dog owners to walk their dog, get them to go to washroom...and keeps home building clean.

I've lived in condo buildings for the past 24 years...3 different cities. It helps if the condo /strata board has a healthy, large reserve fund and there's also a well-run, reputable management property company that does stuff that volunteer board members don't have time. It helps to be part of a bigger development with more unit owners to share the cost of common expenses for repairs, etc.

Crankin, I totally agree about feeling confined to buy into a retirement community and surrounded by same age group people thinking in same generation ways. Maybe if you're just on the edge of the development instead..

This is why I am a strong, strong proponent of neighbourhoods for multi-generations/families, designed for walkability, cycleability and lower car traffic speeds where key services, shops and transit are within 15 min. walk 1 way. (We won't be able to drive in last decade of life.... and there's more and more of us who don't have children to help. Demographics across North America show this.) https://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com...eighbourhoods/ If surburbs offers all this, great. If not, in the last phase of life, no. It's a huge disadvantage unless you have someone transport you all over the place to do chores, shop for even milk, access services.

My doctor is only a 15 min. walk. Same for dentist..just another extra 5 min. In Vancovuer it's 15 min. walk for each doctor, dentist and another extra 5 min. to pharmacy. The hospital there is ....a 20 min. walk...where I was hospitalized for my head injury. My partner walked home with my busted bike from the fire station (only 10 min. walk way) where the firefighters stored my bike.

Do I mind occasionally, hearing a child cry, etc.? No, as long as the kid is not being beaten up. After all, I grew up with 5 other siblings. You get used to sounds .....of life. I realize retirement communities may provide in house social activities....but honestly for me, I like being and living with a broader range of ages for sharing ideas, etc. The cycling community over the decades, has provided that for me.

My mother will get a good deal for house...when it must be sold. Over 15 years ago, my parents bought into a walkable, cycleable neighbourhood. Public school across the street. Grocery store is just 5 min. walk down the street. Another 5 min., there are cafes. There are bike lanes on their street in last 10 years. They chose this location.....because 2 of their adult children don't drive. So home had to be close to transit. This is in Toronto.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-12-2015 at 11:25 AM.

The place I am referring to is not a retirement community, per se, in that there are no "activities," medical care, or different levels of living as you get near the end. It looks like any regular patio home/townhome development (of which there are scant few around here), but you have to be 55 and over to live there. Many move there while still working. This seems to be a growing trend. Ideally, I'd love to find a small ranch or Cape in west Concord, where I can walk to restuarants and a drug store (but not grocery, except a natural foods place). However, it is hard to find a house in that category that doesn't need major work and the cost is high. If we go one town over, I would be back in the regional community my kids grew up in, and there is a growing village center in one area that might work. I could walk to drug store, farm market, a couple of restaurants, yoga, and a whole bunch of new places. Depending where in this area I was, I could also walk to my doctor and major grocery store. I had a little nasty incident on my neighborhood list serve today, and I am quite ready to leave this town. It's nothing important, but I've never felt like I've belonged here, despite the fact I moved only 9 miles. After almost 10 years, it shouldn't be like this.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm not hesitating because of issues with the building or the HOA, just because I wouldn't want to make life frustrating for my neighbors. Said dog is an elder statesman and quite the gentleman. He has been approved everywhere we have asked. But he can walk heavily. And my cats run around and chase their toys.

We have outside riding space too - but I will have a potentially odd schedule for a while, and getting in some exercise inside is nice.

Said dog is an elder statesman and quite the gentleman. He has been approved everywhere we have asked. But he can walk heavily. And my cats run around and chase their toys.
    I envision a cute homey scene at your end, Blueberry. No matter where you move.

This thread confirms that my "retirement dream" is a 1 story on an acre or two in the desert. No lawn/trees to maintain and no neighbors breathing down my neck. We're currently in an unmemorable subdivision (.25-.4 acre lots) with far too many nosey and cliquey people who are very concerned with keeping up appearances and I feel a not-too-subtle competitive vibe over who has the nicest house and the best cars (one look in our garage confirms that we would not win the car competition, but no one can hold a candle to our 2-wheeled collection, heh). The guy who bought the house next-door (and put it up for sale 6 months later) had his lot tilled...but the landscapers ignored lot lines and drove over at least half of the native wildflower seeds I'd planted the Summer before. He never planted an actual lawn and only about once/month mowed the weeds, so it's been a constant battle to keep his yard from encroaching on ours -- and I really loathe dealing with a lawn, much less even faster-growing weeds and the chemicals necessary to keep them from killing our grass and settling into my flower beds.

Yeah, I really find myself wanting to become a hermit more and more. DH feels the same way. We're both homebodies who are happy riding our bikes and vegging on the sofa in front of Netflix. The vast majority of our socialization involves other runners and cyclists.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    This thread confirms that my "retirement dream" is a 1 story on an acre or two in the desert. No lawn/trees to maintain and no neighbors breathing down my neck. We're currently in an unmemorable subdivision (.25-.4 acre lots) with far too many nosey and cliquey people who are very concerned with keeping up appearances and I feel a not-too-subtle competitive vibe over who has the nicest house and the best cars (one look in our garage confirms that we would not win the car competition, but no one can hold a candle to our 2-wheeled collection, heh). The guy who bought the house next-door (and put it up for sale 6 months later) had his lot tilled...but the landscapers ignored lot lines and drove over at least half of the native wildflower seeds I'd planted the Summer before. He never planted an actual lawn and only about once/month mowed the weeds, so it's been a constant battle to keep his yard from encroaching on ours -- and I really loathe dealing with a lawn, much less even faster-growing weeds and the chemicals necessary to keep them from killing our grass and settling into my flower beds.

Yeah, I really find myself wanting to become a hermit more and more. DH feels the same way. We're both homebodies who are happy riding our bikes and vegging on the sofa in front of Netflix. The vast majority of our socialization involves other runners and cyclists.
    I like some of our condo board members..they are diligent. We also have a good staff member with the property management firm that our condo building pays annually for their services. You need a permanent good paid staff member from such a firm for this work.

We seriously have to face reality of our future: we will no longer be able to drive nor should we in our 80's and onward. It's just dangerous to others. It's easier to change our transportation habits now....even a life without bikes, one day.

Hey folks...I haven't cycled for past 2.5 months (and there's no snow right now) because of my recovery from head injury. We have no car (and not advisable to drive with a head injury). So I've been walking daily, building my strength, using transit. Bike will come later. And I'm not elderly and still working full-time. (But it freaks me out that I qualify for over 55 developments.) I walked to and from my doctor's office today. 2 days ago it was another 20 min. walk to physio or I could take transit train there in lousy weather.

If all else fails, a short taxi ride.

But we're hermits. We don't socialize...meaning visit homes of other condo owners in same building. We just say hi in elevator stuff. Honest in a multi-unit buildings there's less of that type of nosey, cliquey stuff. In my opinion where I've lived. And I've sensed, I've lived beside some good neighbours but just never made an effort to know them. Ok, by us. As long as one is a responsible owner and makes little noise most of the time.

I live in both nice neighbourhoods in both cities. May I remind people that actually having some retired but still active condo/townhouse owners, some people have just abit more time to care for stuff in general. In Toronto I lived in such a building.

Here where I live our community neighbour association has a board of which over 50% are retired people who had professional/management jobs or are university/college educated prior to retirement....so they make good public speakers, organizers and taking time to understand legal/development matters, think through complex issues, provide some evidence, and document some stuff.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-12-2015 at 12:57 PM.

I have never been friends with neighbors, and I love to socialize. Well, I take that back, we are friends with the couple who used to share our driveway; they sold the house to their daughter and family, and while we have tried with them (they ride, etc), we actually have more in common with the parents, who are older than us. We had one neighbor in AZ we socialized with. It started out with more, but the other family got religion and wouldn't talk to us because we didn't celebrate Christmas, enough said there. But overall, not friends, but friendly, would do favors for neighbors in my last neighborhood, although they were a toned down version of the Stepford wives. I've never cared what people think, so it was fine. I see some of my ex neighbors in the grocery store or around town and they are friendly. The people where I live now are just clueless. The younger ones are totally helicopter parents and the older ones a bit too crunchy granola for me (that is being nice). I have my riding friends and my "regular" friends, and that is fine. I made the mistake of giving my opinion about something and I was given an "inappropriate" warning on the list serve, because I put out deer scram, an organic powder made of chili powder/ dried coyote urine, to keep the deer from eating my hostas! They didn't flame the ones who said they were all for the "culling of the herd," where we individually sign off to allow bow hunters on our property to shoot the deer, as we have a huge over population. Nor did anyone flame those who commented that all they got from deer was Lyme Disease. I suspect someone just doesn't like me, but since I no longer go to any neighborhood things, it seems weird.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah, we have 2-3 couples/families in our 'hood that we really like, several families that we've never laid eyes on (we were one of the first homes built and have been here 2 years...several families have only been here a couple months). I suspect they're like us and value their privacy. Then the remainder (of about 22 homes) are sorta Desperate Housewives. Most of these families have kids that are significantly younger than our son, so we're in somewhat different places in life (though at least one family appears to view our 14 year old as a free babysitter, which doesn't sit well with me. The dad seemed actually put-out that once school started our son wasn't out hanging and supervising with the younger kids, but 8th graders have serious homework and school responsibilities, plus he was running cross country and busy with that).

And I think a lot of these folks went to school together, too -- definitely a feel that quite a few of these couples have known one-another for decades. When we have gone to neighborhood gatherings there's a pretty significant cliquey vibe coming from a particular group. We didn't grow up around here and avoid some of the local yokel drama.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2