Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Look at the Specialized shorts, specifically the higher end ones with the BG RBX chamois. They are as you describe - padded in the back, but much less in the front. My only gripe is that the padding, in less than a year, starts to shift within the confines of the chamois. Dh just got another pair (of the men's variety) - I'll let you know if these hold up better than the last pair.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

Re: My fantasy shorts

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
    Look at the Specialized shorts, specifically the higher end ones with the BG RBX chamois. They are as you describe - padded in the back, but much less in the front. My only gripe is that the padding, in less than a year, starts to shift within the confines of the chamois. Dh just got another pair (of the men's variety) - I'll let you know if these hold up better than the last pair.
    Thanks Erin!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Have you looked at the De Soto 400 mile shorts? It's a thin chamois with padding only where you need it. I did Ironman Cozumel in them, trained for the event in them and will be doing Ride the Rockies in them. Fantastic shorts and a fantastic company. Highly recommend.
    Blogging about all things bike, run, travel related at:
    Be The Badger

2014 Lynskey ProCross (The Raven)
    2013 Cannondale Slice 5 (Father Christmas)

ask for my discount/referral codes!
    2014 MioGlobal Brand Champion
    2014 De Soto Femmebassador

I haven't, but I appreciate the suggestion!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I like the chamois a lot. It has minimal padding (I find the thicker pads tend to bunch up in …ahem…places and chafe the daylights out of me. The De Soto chamois has padding along the edges only. We don't need padding down the middle of the chamois in the front! That just mushes stuff off to the sides! So riding with a cutout saddle really lets these shorts work well - no padding in the middle, just some padding on the sides (where you need it!) and padding in the back. But not so much that you have a diaper bum!

The shorts run small and very compressive. I love the pockets on the legs too. Great for a gel or ID. Tracy at De Soto is fantastic to work with and their return/warranty policy is AMAZING.

Denise
    Be The Badger

Quote Originally Posted by hulagirl View Post
    I like the chamois a lot. It has minimal padding (I find the thicker pads tend to bunch up in …ahem…places and chafe the daylights out of me. The De Soto chamois has padding along the edges only. We don't need padding down the middle of the chamois in the front! That just mushes stuff off to the sides! So riding with a cutout saddle really lets these shorts work well - no padding in the middle, just some padding on the sides (where you need it!) and padding in the back. But not so much that you have a diaper bum!

The shorts run small and very compressive. I love the pockets on the legs too. Great for a gel or ID. Tracy at De Soto is fantastic to work with and their return/warranty policy is AMAZING.

Denise
    I'm not familiar with these shorts, but I agree that DeSoto has great service. I emailed them last year with questions about the fit for their Cool Wings, and they were extremely helpful.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Just wanted to let you know that my referral code for De Soto is now live - it's 25% off your order! No returns though if you use the code so make sure you get the right size. If you want to code, message me and I'll send it over.

Aloha!
    Denise
    Be The Badger

What if it's my skin not the saddle, shorts or fit? Rode 50 miles yesterday, in addition to horrible allergy eyes, I'm now flame glow red on both upper legs, entire length, front to back, about 1" wide. The thought of wearing jeans today is frightening!

I noticed this problem getting worse last year. Will be getting re-fitted later this week. We will look at changing saddles. I'm riding a Specialized Jett 143. We'll lubed, multiple pairs of shorts. I'm concerned it's more a menopausal (I'm 58) issue of thinning, fragile skin. Anyone else noticed this problem and have suggestions.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Quote Originally Posted by smittykitty View Post
    What if it's my skin not the saddle, shorts or fit? Rode 50 miles yesterday, in addition to horrible allergy eyes, I'm now flame glow red on both upper legs, entire length, front to back, about 1" wide. The thought of wearing jeans today is frightening!

I noticed this problem getting worse last year. Will be getting re-fitted later this week. We will look at changing saddles. I'm riding a Specialized Jett 143. We'll lubed, multiple pairs of shorts. I'm concerned it's more a menopausal (I'm 58) issue of thinning, fragile skin. Anyone else noticed this problem and have suggestions.
    Could it be that you're allergic to the chamois cream that you're using? Or is it definitely chafed, irritated skin?

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Totally chafed!
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

What chamois cream are you using? I had tried something other than Body Glide (I might still try Lantiseptic), and it made the problem worse.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

LBS sent me home yesterday with a Romin to try. On the trainer it appears I'm not rubbing on the sides with it. Will ride today (fingers crossed). I like the shape and the slight raised back. Really worried about the rock hard firmness. I have 30 days to try it.
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3