Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

High protein - low sugar snacks

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello ladies!

I didn't feel like reading through all the threads, so excuse me if you've already covered this.

I commute by bike to work every day, it's about 10 km (6 miles), mostly uphill. When I get to work I'm completely famished, and need a refill, mainly to feel full and not to crash before lunch. Usually I've been going for a yogurt or a protein shake, but I feel that a lot of them are quite high in sugars. I'm allergic to nuts, so that's not an option - and I eat about two pieces a fruit in the afternoon, so I would like something else in the morning.

Is there anyone out there with a good protein bar/snack recipe that they want to share?

I am sure you will get lots of suggestions.

my go to protein is a hard boiled egg or 2 hard boiled eggs

Here is a granola muffin we like to make - you can use any milk you want to avoid the almonds

Made these the other night, not to sweet. Made 24, next time I am going to put either apples or frozen berries into the mix. I sprinkled dark choc chips, raisins and shredded almonds on the top.

Ingredients:
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
    1 banana, mashed
    6 packets of Sweetleaf Stevia or 1½ teaspoons stevia powder or use ½ cup honey ( I use honey)
    5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats
    ¼ cup flaxseed powder
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    3 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    2¾ cups milk (your preference) I use almond milk
    Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, dark chocolate chips or carob chips

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and Stevia together in a bowl.
    Add in oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and mix well with wet ingredients.
    Finally pour in milk and combine.
    Spray a 12 and 6 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray or use cupcake liners. Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups.
    If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.
    Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean.
    Cool and enjoy or freeze them in freezer bags
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Thanks, Sky King, those sound really delicious, and I can just take out the nuts

You could do something like these: https://mypaleobakingadventure.wordp...tter-brownies/

and use sunflower butter or tahini in place of the nut butter - the recipe is pretty flexible. They are amazingly delicious and you could easily use less honey, especially with sweeter squash.

Jerky? Smoked fish dip with vegetable sticks?

You might also think about getting more fat and protein in your breakfast, so that your pre-ride meal isn't getting depleted so quickly?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I agree, a good breakfast with a good amount of good protein and fat would help a lot, that is what I do before intense exercise of any kind. I have also taken a mix of jerkey and dried berries with me on the bike.

Oakleaf, that recipe looks pretty good!

Thanks for the recipe, OakLeaf - they look delicious! I will start baking the moment I get home tonight

Thanks for the tips, I will try to add more proteins and fats to my breakfast as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I agree, a good breakfast with a good amount of good protein and fat would help a lot, that is what I do before intense exercise of any kind. I have also taken a mix of jerkey and dried berries with me on the bike.!
    This does not work for everyone. If I eat lots of protein and fat before any kind of exercise, I will be very sick.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    This does not work for everyone. If I eat lots of protein and fat before any kind of exercise, I will be very sick.
    I should have said that I do this 2 hours before exercise, so it has time to get into my body. I couldn't do this RIGHT before, but it has really paid off for me to plan the timing on this.