Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Phoenix area - need ideas on where to stay

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband and I will be coming to the Phoenix area (from Canada) in mid-April for a week of road riding. Is there a particular area of Phoenix, or surrounding Mesa, Scottsdale etc, that would be a better place for us to set up 'base camp' and find accommodation?

We'll rent a car, but it'd be great if we could access the fantastic road riding we've heard all about right from the door of our accommodation without spending half the ride getting out of the sprawl TO the fantastic roads and/or without having to drive to the start of the rides.

Any suggestions on areas that we should avoid, or areas we should concentrate on looking for a place to stay, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I don't live in the Valley now, but I did... and I've stayed in several areas since moving east, while vacationing.
    The last 2 times we went to AZ, we stayed in Carefree/Cave Creek. There's little traffic, great riding, not tons of cars. Close to good climbing, too. And, close to north Scottsdale. Most places in the Valley (and I mean stretching 40 miles wide in every direction) are congested, suburban, strip mall sprawl. Maybe north Scottsdale, or out east of Mesa, but then you're surrounded by Leisure World people, no offense to anyone who lives there! I wouldn't stay anywhere in central Phx or downtown Tempe if the purpose of your visit is riding. While there are bike lanes and some paths, it's not cyclist friendly, at least compared to what I am used to. And remember, in April, it might be 90-100 during the day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I live in Tucson and have not ridden much in the Phoenix area, but I think Crankin has good advice.

Out of curiosity- why not Tucson?
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143