Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Issue with heart rate monitor reading

To disable ads, please log-in.

Am I the only one with such issues?

We have a Kinetic Bluetooth Heart Rate Strap that works in parallel with our Rock and roll trainer software app with iPad (that app works with a pod to read our watts, speed, cadence, heart rate, etc). My husband puts it on and never ever has issues with it. It starts right away to "clock" his heart beat.

I put it on for my own training session and it never works before 4-5 minutes into the training, and even during the training it can stop (like it did today at around 20 minutes into my training) and stay at 50bpm and take a long time to get back to a correct reading. Very frustrating. Never happens with hubby.

Tonight I did a workout on the bike and it took 3m33s to kick in. I wet the band (the magnet parts) even with hot water in case it reads "sweat" degrees, etc.

My boobs are not that big (I'm a C) and I've had reduction so breasts are high. Nothing that would prevent a good reading from the strap.

I just don't know what else to do to make it work properly. We have some polar (with watch) strap when I use treadmill and it takes just as much time but once it's on, it stays on.

Anyone has a clue as to why it happens? Am I putting it wrong under the breasts? I try to position the sensor right in the middle under my 2 breasts. I even put my bra band over it to make sure it does not move. I don't know what to do anymore and I end up throwing the thing away at the end of the training area as it is useless if not being able to use it at all times, in a way that it monitors properly.

Next time my husband said to try my polar (wrist and band) and use my bike reader instead of the software from Kinetic and see if is does the same. I don't mind trying it. But it is a pain having all that equipment that matches your data and not be able to use that HR reader.

Help!

The instructions on mine say that some people get a better reading with the electrodes in back. I would think that would be especially true in cycling position, and especially for someone with a smaller chest circumference, where the ribs might lift one edge of the strap.

I've also read that some people do better if they actually soak the strap before use, not just moisten the electrodes - since yours works once it gets going, you might try that.

Personally I use aloe vera gel in place of electrode gel - the 100% stuff without any lotions or oils.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thank you. Where can I get the gel? I will try to dip the whole strap in "warm" water - don't want something freezing on a cold body before training. hihi I have intervals training tomorrow night so will soak and let you know.

So you mean I could try to position the reading part in the back instead of in the front? And it would still capture the heart beats? Neat! Worth trying if this is what you meant.

I just use aloe vera gel from the drugstore. Fruit of the Earth brand, don't know if they sell that in Canada or not.

You got the rest of it right - that's just stuff I've read, haven't had a need personally, but worth a try.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks. We have a natural product store in the building I work in. I'll go check them out. Or might order through Amazon. Generally free delivery and fast.

I'll keep you posted on the "tests" I'll be trying. Just weird that husband has no issues and I do EVERY single training session.

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    Thanks. We have a natural product store in the building I work in. I'll go check them out. Or might order through Amazon. Generally free delivery and fast.

I'll keep you posted on the "tests" I'll be trying. Just weird that husband has no issues and I do EVERY single training session.
    Ask Oak said, it's likely due to contact and/or sweat (moisture levels). Your rib cage is a different shape than his and I'm willing to bet that your sweat response takes longer to kick in... keeping those points in mind, it makes sense that he may not have an issue and you do.

Oak's suggestions are good ones and will hopefully solve the problem. If not, you may need to try a different HR strap. My Kurt Kinetic strap is identical to the one for my Garmin, I wonder if they are interchangeable? Garmin has some very nice soft strap designs that fit smaller rib cages much better. Though you'd want to make damn sure the Kinetic soft ware could communicate with it before investing in another strap.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Oups...pressed send before noticing another reply. Thanks Wahine. While I had sent this (below) you had mentioned the sweat thing...which may totally makes sense (from what I wrote too).

While googling internet about something else, I happened to link to this website which explains a lot of what you said, and more. Very interesting points they have.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/t...eart-rate.html

One thing I noticed is that I don't sweat a lot from chest/cage. In fact, I'm not much of a sweater but for the forehead and neck (and not much there). Since I train with a big fan right in front of me, it is possible that my strap gets dried too quickly. So the gel maybe my best bet.

We also have a "running room" store in that same building I work. I could check it out at lunch time for gel bottles.

To be continued....I'll beat that strap mystery.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 03-18-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add to Wahine....saw later she posted before me.

By the way, I knew I'd find the answers to my mystery strap issue by addressing it here. I cannot be the only one for sure with this problem. It is not defective since it works very well on husband, no issues at all on him.

I do have other straps (polar and Garmin) but they are not compatible as they are not bluetooth. I tried...trust me. One evening it was a mess of straps and readers (we have 4 of those) on a shelf in basement. Had fun sorting them out after (which goes with which as straps are not always that obvious - especially when mad haha)

It sounds like the strap is washable, how often do you toss it in the washer? This probably isn't it since your DH doesn't have the problem but it is good to do from time to time. I rinse mine after every use, but things do build on the contacts that rinsing doesn't remove. So, when my HRM starts telling me that my heart rate is 270, or it takes forever to connect with my transmitter or keeps disconnecting, I know it is time to toss it into the cold wash with my gym clothes. I've taken to doing this on a regular basis to keep the problem from developing.

I am not much of a sweater myself, regardless of intensity level, I never thought that could be a problem. But I don't have a fan in front of me Let us know how it works with moving the strap around, I never thought about that myself (several of my sports bras tend to push my transmitter down).

It is in the wash every 3-4 usage. Air dried. Rinsed with soapy water the other times.

Will go at lunch find some gel bottle and will update tonight, if I can train. I have a very sick dog at home (gastro) and came home yesterday afternoon to a very nasty mess on main floor (will spare the details but you can use your imagination), a bit less when we got up this morning. She is fasting today and hopefully will start getting better or a vet visit will be on schedule tonight. blah

I bought some Ultralieve gel at the drugstore. Running room had no gel, and did not even know what it was and it's use, even if they have many many heart rate monitors on sale. It was behind counter of pharmacy. It does not have alcool or perfume. I'll test tonight....TBC...

Miracles do happen!

I applied the gel and put the strap on and started pedaling. It read 149bpm - static. Hummmmm I stopped, got the bottle applied more gel underneath where the sensors are and moved the reader a bit under my left breast. It started to work at about 2m2s from 1st pedal stroke (before I reapply gel) and it kept working during my 1-hour work out with a normal reading. I worked my butt off and when I removed the belt, nothing was wet, not even the back, except for the gel that was in place, but my forehead and neck were very wet as usual. It seems those are the only places I sweat. hihi. So probably I do not sweat enough to grab a reading without gel.

Will try on next training to add more gel under the strap sensor once it is in place, and put it immediately the reader a bit to the left rather center of under breasts. Will see how it will work.