Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Afraid to ride

Afraid to ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wanted to ride yesterday but was much too busy, and today we have winter again I've sold my expensive bike rack so I get to take my wheel of my bike again to transport it - but since I can't ride as often as I once did that won't be a problem. I really want to ride, but am nervous since I've not ridden since October when a cyclist and I (in my car) entered a really bad intersection at the same time It was a REALLY BAD intersection where the driver literally can't see if anyone is on the trail until the vehicle is actually blocking it, and the cyclist wasn't paying attention. None of that was at question, thankfully there were witnesses and everyone agreed what happened - all the police would say was that it was a notoriously bad intersection for that reason. That being said, it's been hard to get that image out of my head of her lying on the ground screaming, and her tacoed front wheel just staring at me.

Thankfully she wasn't too seriously hurt, though she did have a knee injury. It could have been worse since she didn't have a helmet - I hope she wears one now. My insurance took care of everything - that is why I pay them!

Since then they've placed a stop sign for drivers before the trail intersection, but that is rather useless as you STILL can't actually see anyone on the trail until you are blocking it - they actually need a mirror. Either that or remove a big retaining wall from a parking lot that blocks the view. Between that and my neck, I am a bit nervous at the thought of riding, I WANT to ride though, so hopefully I can force my way through this. I just couldn't post about it when it happened.
    Last edited by Catrin; 03-16-2014 at 03:10 PM.

Catrin, it sounds like you are having some trauma symptoms. PM me, I'll give you a few suggestions to get rid of those images.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

((((((Catrin))))))

That must have been really traumatic. Can you avoid that intersection when you ride?

Hope you can get out for a short cruise soon and start building your confidence back.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It was, because it was the one situation I've been scared would happen since I started riding in traffic - but ME as the cyclist, not as the driver. Yeah, some of those images are still there.... PM coming Crankin. I just wasn't capable of talking about it here at the time, though I did talk to someone about it.

((((Catrin)))). I have no advice, accept to look into dealing with the traumatic memories as Crankin suggested.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Catrin, I totally feel for you and I think this could happen to any of us. Crankin, if there are any tips you can share here as well, we'd appreciate it--thanks.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Crankin, would you be willing to send me those suggestions as well, or post them publicly? My head still isn't in the right place after my mountain bike crash last fall. Thanks!

I will need some time to do this in a general way. Let me take care of Catrin first, and then I will post something, later in the week.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That is really scary!

How about doing some mild mountain biking on fire roads/trails?
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Catrin, I would also like to say that it took HUGE guts for you to say that. Kudos to you for having that much courage. Honest.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    That is really scary!

How about doing some mild mountain biking on fire roads/trails?
    I wish I could, but a mtn bike crash took me off the trails permanently with a neck injury that keeps on giving. I was hardly able to ride last year as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Catrin, I would also like to say that it took HUGE guts for you to say that. Kudos to you for having that much courage. Honest.
    Thanks Salsabike, I've been wanting to say something about it but it took me 5 months. I am so thankful she wasn't hurt worse than she was, and all her bike needed was another wheel. I am troubled to see the intersection of that street and trail hasn't been fixed, though short of a major reconstruction I don't see how it can be I've driven on that street a couple of times since then, but I avoid it when possible.

What Salsa said. ((Hugs))
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I will need some time to do this in a general way. Let me take care of Catrin first, and then I will post something, later in the week.
    I would really appreciate this, too, when you have time. I *want* to get back on my mtn. bike. It's been nearly 16 months since I busted my right wrist, so that's essentially about as healed as it's going to get, but my head is still WAY out of that game.

Catrin, I am so sorry that you've been carrying this for so long. I think you've suffered just as much mental trauma as the cyclist -- especially since you are also a cyclist. You have a vantage point that the averaged motorist lacks. I hope time will heal your head and heart after this terrifying situation. And I hope your community can find away to improve visibility in this spot so that no one else has to go through this pain.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Wow. What a story. That is my worst nightmare driving and hitting someone. We've hit small animals (and birds) and I couldn't sleep for nights, re-living the images. I cannot imagine what you went (are) going through.

Even cycling I have a hard time on "normal" road. Always looking at everything not to hit a pothole, be too near the gravel side of road when a car drives by. I feel more secure on bike paths. But it is not the real place to enjoy a "freer" ride.

But your story will make me even more aware of my surroundings, in car or on bike. It happens so quickly and people tend to blame quickly the driver...but it is not always the case. Some are nuts, true. But not all of them and we should never judge before (and even then) having the whole picture.

I really appreciate all of the supportive comments and appreciate this forum and the environment it gives to all of us. Regarding the intersection, I am going to see who I need to speak with about doing something more for this very bad intersection - like a large mirror that will help the driver know if anyone is coming from the left side. The problem is there is a raised parking lot with a retaining wall which, in effect, lowers the trail from that direction. The lowered trail plus retaining wall blocks the view enough, but then toss in parked cars and street lights... I don't know how successful I will be, but it would be very good to help reduce the odds of something like this happening again.