Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afraid to ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

What if they had huge panel before that road to tell cyclists to be aware of danger of cars driving by...and same on vehicules side? Having large panels or even a red flasher or strobe light would alert everyone to be careful. Who can miss a strobe light

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    What if they had huge panel before that road to tell cyclists to be aware of danger of cars driving by...and same on vehicles side? Having large panels or even a red flasher or strobe light would alert everyone to be careful. Who can miss a strobe light
    The problem is you still have to actually block the intersection before you can see IF anyone is coming. Certainly signs and lights help people to be aware there is a crossing - but you STILL have to enter the intersection without knowing if it is clear or not

You'll have to take a pic for us.

Aw, Catrin, so sorry that happened. I had wondered what had happened when you'd posted that you couldn't ride for an undisclosed (but obviously traumatic) reason. I know that is a huge fear of mine too -- hitting a cyclist would almost feel worse than being hit myself. But the intersection is clearly NOT an appropriate one for a bike path to cross. Seems like the best solution would be a very costly one -- a ped/bike under- or overpass.

Hope time (and maybe some suggestions from crankin) will help you move past this and get back out there. The mind can really do a number on us. I know I was scared to ride for a long time after my dad died in a car accident...I was afraid the same would happen to me (even though he was in a car and I was on a bike). And I was scared for my DH to ride too. Still worry about him out there more than I worry about myself.

Best wishes to you -- and a big hug!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Those big convex mirrors are pretty common at parking garage entrances, alleyways, etc. I would think whoever is responsible for the trail would be open to installing one, so long as they could get the appropriate easement if it wouldn't be on the trail's own property. It could be on a post together with a caution bike crossing sign.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Those big convex mirrors are pretty common at parking garage entrances, alleyways, etc. I would think whoever is responsible for the trail would be open to installing one, so long as they could get the appropriate easement if it wouldn't be on the trail's own property. It could be on a post together with a caution bike crossing sign.
    Yes, that's a great idea, and a lot cheaper than a bridge! We own a small piece of property down a rural mountain road in NC, and they have that kind of mirror around a couple of the curves; otherwise, just driving in a car around a blind curve on a narrow road way up high would be very risky.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I know who to contact about this, and he is notoriously difficult to reach. I will, however, persevere. It is the easiest solution and even if my efforts fail, I will have tried. Thankfully that particular part of the intersection isn't on my usual route to the gym - unless I am coming from work rather than home. Which is happening more frequently...so the cars behind me are just going to have to be patient!

It's painful. There's no way around that. Coping strategies help keep you from going crazy while you're getting through the pain. They don't take the pain away.

After my daughter's wreck I went out of my way to avoid that road-- well, after we had moved to a different house. Since it happened in front of our driveway there was no way around the scene until we moved. I don't know if you can go out of your way to avoid the intersection. I know that avoiding it isn't exactly working through it and getting over it, but frankly I don't think it's a bad idea if it's not a huge inconvenience.

I hope your brave moment of sharing it on here has helped. It does take time. Did Crankin suggest reciting a mantra when you 'see' the image? The hard part was noticing I was having a flashback. Once I noticed then I could do the mantra, "I am safe. I am loved." And that would get me out of it. But sometimes I just didn't notice for several minutes, I was so deep into it. Even 3.5 years later, once in a while something will trigger it. And it happens so rarely that I don't remember how to notice or what to do. But it happens very rarely.

The drive to get that intersection fixed is strong right now and any obstacle or failure HURTS. It will get fixed. It might not be in the timeline you hope for. It might be 5 years. There might be another wreck before it is fixed. It's ok to keep at it. It's ok to stop pushing for it. It will get fixed even if you can't be the one to push for it. There may be other causes you could take up that are less personal, to bleed off that advocacy-energy that is so strong in you right now.

(((hug)))
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

It isn't an intersection I would ever ride to/through, but I do drive through it every time I go to my gym, though usually not the part of it that is so problematical.

They have already done something to attempt the fix that intersection, which is good, but it doesn't address the underlying problem. I've already contacted those I need to and made my suggestions. If it works, that would be great, but if not then that is the way of things. It is difficult to let it go, but I must be able to do that.

Thanks Melalvai!

I'm having a hard time picturing the intersection, but is it possible to put a stop sign on the trail portion for the bikers? Or some kind of gate that slows them down to force them to check traffic? We have some trails around here that cross roads and they have stop signs and sometimes the gates (really meant to prevent cars from driving down the path) that slow riders down. i may not be understanding the scenario correctly though.

i am very sorry to hear about your experience, i can only imagine how difficult it has been for you. I hope you are able to get back on your bike soon.