Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

We are in for Ride the Rockies! Eeeek! Now to gear up - suggestions please

To disable ads, please log-in.

My usually early June race (Kona 70.3) sold out way early this year and I couldn't afford to sign up as I was 1 month out from my first full Ironman. So I was very Ironpoor™ :-)

Funds caught up and DH and I threw our hat into the Ride the Rockies lottery (had always been on our list) and we got in! EEEEkkkk!!!

I've got a sleek, sexy, awesome new Lynskey ProCross bike that will be going on the ride with me. Currently I have some hard core Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 35c tires on it - not known for their speed. I am going to get some 28's on it ASAP for the miles I'll be putting in.

My biggest concern right now is pedals. I've always raced on Speedplay Light actions as I find I must have free float. Anything that restricts me in just the tiniest bit will hurt my knees. Even though my knees do not track much at all (as seen on my Retul fittings - they are pretty damn stable) it seems that I don't do well with that feeling of being restricted.

Right now my Lynskey has Twenty6 platform pedals on it…for running errands and doing fun rides. But as I up the miles and intensity I find I need/miss the ability to pull up and have flown off the pedals shifting and coming up out of the saddle. I'm sure I could get used to it but it's not the most effective pedal/shoe system to use for RtR.

As mentioned, I'm a Speedplay gal and SIDI shoe gal. I'm looking at putting Speedplay Frog's on the Lynskey and getting a pair of MTB type shoes that will allow me to walk around on the trip instead of waddle/slide around at the aid stations.

SIDI Competition MTB sole is compatible with the frogs. KEEN's are not (toe box too wide) and there are a few others on the list.

I do want a relatively stiff sole for energy transfer.

Anyone out there ride a SIDI/Frog combo? Or a different MTB shoe/Frog combo? Suggestions? I see TE just had a nice sale on the Dominator 5 but are now out of my size. I'm not too keen on spending $280 on a pair of shoes. :-( Would like to keep around $100-$150.

Thanks for the input!

Denise
    Blogging about all things bike, run, travel related at:
    Be The Badger

2014 Lynskey ProCross (The Raven)
    2013 Cannondale Slice 5 (Father Christmas)

ask for my discount/referral codes!
    2014 MioGlobal Brand Champion
    2014 De Soto Femmebassador

Quote Originally Posted by hulagirl View Post

Anyone out there ride a SIDI/Frog combo? Or a different MTB shoe/Frog combo? Suggestions? I see TE just had a nice sale on the Dominator 5 but are now out of my size. I'm not too keen on spending $280 on a pair of shoes. :-( Would like to keep around $100-$150.

Thanks for the input!

Denise
    I have frogs on all my bikes, and use Sidi shoes, and Keen sandals on all of them without any problems.
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

I have Frogs on my Ti Guru; I have Shimano mtb shoes, that have a wide toe box. However, I do get some hot spots after 20 miles, and since I am taking these pedals on my tour across Portugal, I am looking into getting different shoes. The sole is just not stiff enough. I ride this bike on really hilly rides/long rides, so I have to do something. The Frogs are great and I love being able to walk around. I have Speedplay Xs on my other bike and I, too, need the full float. The Shimano road shoes work for me, but they are super stiff. I had to stop wearing Sidis because they are just too narrow for me, and I don't even have wide feet.
    Was at the PI outlet yesterday and saw a pair of PI mtb shoes with a stiff sole that I will look into.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I love my Frogs, though I've never raced...