Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

+1 on neck issues

To disable ads, please log-in.

My neck at times is still causing me issues since things flared up last spring. Since then I had my new road bike set up to the exact same measurements as my first road bike in the hope that this will avoid a reoccurrence of the neck acting up. I have yet to try out the newly adjusted bike for any length of time due to the winter weather but, the only difference between the two bikes right now is the diameter of the handle bars. Does anyone know if a smaller diameter handlebar can cause neck issues? I really don't want to go thru months of neck misery again.
    No pressure No diamonds

Do you really mean smaller diameter? If so, then as long as you're not keeping a death grip, you should be okay.

If you mean width ... then that will put your whole shoulder girdle in a different position, which has the potential to affect your neck ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It's the diameter of the handlebars that's different. Width wise, both measure same. My first road bike has a wider diameter handlebar, the second road bike the diameter is noticeably smaller. I'm almost paranoid about injuring my neck again. I was off work for weeks last spring and ended up with months of PT and massage therapy. I was pretty miserable and just felt like it was never going to heal. I still have the occasional tingling down my left arm. All caused by me riding an ill fitted bike and telling myself I just needed to get used to my new bike....Never again! I learned the hard way to be way more assertive during a bike fitting.
    No pressure No diamonds

hmmmm, as someone with major neck problems I certainly understand your frustration.

What comes to mind is this - and I don't even know if this makes sense but I will toss it out there anyway. I wonder if a smaller diameter bar is causing you to grip more firmly than you normally do. I can see this leading to other muscles becoming tighter than usual, which could travel upstream and cause more tension in your neck. I know that in my situation, at least, I've learned that very small things CAN cause neck symptoms for me (and other things that SHOULD don't, so go figure).

Hang in there and keep us posted!