Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DH stranded by high water on his ultra marathon run and I'm stuck at home

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was sitting at home waiting for news from my husband, who was running the Old Pueblo 50 mile trail run south of Tucson today- in very rainy and windy conditions. 8:30 pm. I just got a call from a ham radio operator to tell me that he is okay, but that he (and other runners) are stranded by high water in running washes and that he may not make it home tonight. I know he has some dry stuff in his drop bags but it sounds pretty miserable. There are a couple of cars and I think what the caller told me is that they are rotating folks in and out of the cars and keeping them warm.

I would say this is way more extreme than epic as the course is at an elevation above 4000 feet.

Wasn't it enough that El Tour de Tucson was an all day rain ride last fall? We had a month of warm weather and it rained today for the first time in months.

Hoping he really is able to be warm and dry tonight- there's nothing I can do but wait.

Sharon
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Yikes!! I hope he and the others make it home soon.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thank goodness for HAM to send you a message. At least your husband and other runners have communication so he is safe. Miserable maybe but he is safe and I think that is the best news.

50 mile run?! good grief.

Oh man. That's scary. Hope they were able to keep warm overnight and that he gets home very soon!!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Rain + wash= bad
    at 4,000 feet?
    Thinking of you.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

7:45 am here. Still waiting for some news. There is no cell coverage on a lot of the course and I don't know how far from the end he was when he got stuck. I felt really guilty sleeping in a warm bed last night....

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

Here is a link to a description of the course and a map: http://oldpueblo50.com/coursemap.htm

Got the call - he spent the night in a van with a propane heater and is fine. He made it to mile 47 and then had to abandon

That is really, really bad luck! We just spent February in Tucson and saw maybe two drops of rain at the beginning of the month. How ironic the race happened to be held on March 1. Sorry that your DH had to abandon, but that's entirely expected with the wind, rain, and cold. Glad he had heat overnight at least! Know you'll be glad to see him today...
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Glad all is well.
    Back in the 70s, I experienced two "100 year" floods, 2 years in a row, at this time of year in the Valley. It severely disrupted my life. My parents also made the dumb new Arizonan mistake of trying to drive through a flooded wash when they first moved there.
    Although the results are often disastrous, I used to love this time of year in the desert, and the rains, because it was the only hint that there are seasons!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Glad he's safe, bummer he didn't get to finish!

Wow! What bad luck to have the run the first day of rain in more than a month. I am glad he stayed warm and safe.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

So glad that he is safe! Sad that his luck with the weather was that way, but glad he is warm and safe!

He wrote a very cool post on facebook:
    Sometimes after a difficult day with something you love the bonds of affection grow ever deeper.

The peaks of the Santa Ritas rest quietly the day after a stormy Old Pueblo 50 Mile Run. The night before, abandoning the run at mile 47 due to dangerous swift water stream crossings, I forfeited the finisher's belt buckle. Yet, I had already received the gifts of the day's images and experiences on the mountain.

And then he posted a beautiful picture of the mountain from this morning, with snow on the peak and a beautiful blue sky above.

azfiddle, that's lovely. Good for him. And glad all are safe.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks