DH and I just spent the month of February in Tucson and had a blast. Our first time in the city, and we were pleased with how good the cycling infrastructure is. Tons of bike lanes, nice bike paths, and some great rural routes just outside the city.

Only downside is the traffic (it is a BIG city, after all) and the fact that the majority of roads were badly cracked/crazed, making for some bumpy conditions. We were told by friends of DH who live in the city that it's due to the extreme dry climate. Still, we did enjoy our rides there. Some of my solo rides I did on my Jamis full-suspension MTB, which really smoothed out the bumps, but when riding with DH, I had to ride my Trek roadie or fall way behind.

The weather was AWESOME! We started the month in tights and vests, for the most part, but about a week in we were mostly in shorts and short sleeves for the rest of the month. We tended to wait to set out until 10 or 11 am so we wouldn't have to layer. We felt SO lucky to be wearing shorts while so much of the country was suffering in the "polar vortex"

We did a few blog posts on some of the Tuscon rides we did, if anyone is interested. Note that these are in reverse chronological order:

2 Rides in Saguaro National Park

Snake Bridge, Downtown, and the U of A

Collossal Cave - Pistol Hill ride

Tuscon Foothills ride

Solo ride on the Pantano River Trail

Emily