Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I just gave my cat an antidepressant

To disable ads, please log-in.

So it turns out Lyra cat, Drama Queen of the Universe actually was pretty darn ill. She tested positive for salmonella, probably from eating a bird a few days before, and had a serious gut infection. But after four days at the vet, IV-treatment, blood samples, ultrasound, two different antibiotics, force feeding and a whopping bill, she started eating again and ould come home. A bit subdued, but much better.

Yesterday I gave her the second dose of a pill meant to stimulate her appetite. Out of curiosity I googled it, and it turns out it's used as a antidepressant for humans. Whatever the reason - this morning we were woken up by a VERY talkative, companycraving, hungry and curious cat wondering WHERE WE WERE AND WOULD WE PLEASE GET UP SOON!

And she can't go out loose for the next six weeks! Time to try walking her in a harness, I guess.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Oh man! I didn't even know cats could get salmonella! So glad she's feeling better ... hope the housebound weeks aren't too hard on all of you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Sorry to hear that she, and you, had such an "adventure". I am very glad to read that she is getting back to normal I suggest getting a bunch of new cat-toys for her enforced stay inside.

That's a good idea. At the moment she's glued to the kitchen window "kekk-kekking" at all the birds she can't hunt. Maybe a Roomba would be fun ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2HU3LGdbo
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

I'm glad your cat is on the mend. Whenever my little guy tries to stick his head in my coffee mug (our table manners are pretty loose when it's just the two of us), I try to tell him the last thing I need is a caffeinated kitty.

Glad your kitty is on the mend!

Oh poor kitty! Glad to hear she is getting all better. And good luck with harness walking. If she takes to it, it can be really fun for both of you. Have a story about walking my cat but will save it for later. My what an unusual looking dog you are walking...

Short trips with the harness are the best way to go at first, perhaps 10 minutes at a time, working up gradually. You'll have to keep your eye on her at all times and be alert for any signs that she's panicking and overwhelmed, but the walks will get longer over time. We've become known around the neighbourhood as "That eccentric couple that walks their cat everywhere", but with busy roads all around us, there's no way we'd let ours wander around on her own. I don't know if we'll be able to walk the new one yet, I suppose when he sees that Taffy gets to go places he'll get the idea quickly enough.
    With a dog, you get to decide where to go. With a cat it's more of a collaborative effort. The cat decides the general direction of travel, but you get veto power over things like other people's flower beds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010558.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	16965
    Queen of the sea beasts

Thanks for the tips, nuliajuk, I think I'll go pick up a harness today as it breaks my heart to see her moping at the window all day. I know that once she starts getting really bored she'll start to rush us at the door too. Nothing like a really determined cat.

We had a neighbor once who walked their cat every single day, and every single day the cat rolled around and hid under bushes, it was hysterical.

Ours will sometimes roll in the dust while wearing her harness, and sometimes in mysterious substances that we'd prefer not to think about at the base of the communal mailbox. We've learned not to let her get too far into bushes.
    It's really kind of time consuming. She has to sniff every bush, nibble at every blade of grass. Once in a while she'll get a wild look in her eye and sprint up the nearest tree, then we have to make sure she doesn't go too far up or get the leash tangled in branches. On the whole, though, it's worth the patience required as she gets to get outside and do cat things without us worrying about her.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Poor, silly kitty.
    I hope no more 'dietary indiscretions' for her!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    That's a good idea. At the moment she's glued to the kitchen window "kekk-kekking" at all the birds she can't hunt. Maybe a Roomba would be fun ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2HU3LGdbo
    That video opened more questions than it answered! Who thinks of these things? Somebody has way too much time on their hands.

Oh yeah, so whoever told me that walking a cat is not like walking a dog was telling the truth. Not that I expected it to be, I had expected it to be the cat walking me, but I hadn't considered that where a cat wants to go is very often not a place I can follow. Her way of getting fresh air is to stand outside for two minutes and just stare, then prowl the perimeter of her territory, then go sit under the steps for another minute or two. Then venture out into the cul-de-sac, and promptly dive under the neighbours fence and into their garden. When picked out of there, complaining loudly, she'll find a very large snowy tree to crawl under and sulk beneath for another minute or two, then attempt to dash through another neighbours garden. Sigh... At least she did get some fresh air!

When my cat was much younger and was forced to become an indoor cat in an 800 square foot condo, he was often agitated and bullied my 100lb rotti (he was so mellow and submissive he didn't stand a chance). I hated it, but I had to put him on meds- it was for OCD in humans, and I even got the prescription filled at the pharmacy (much to the pharmacists' amusement). I stopped after a couple of years and he's now a mellow senior.

When I took my rotti out for his morning/evening pee, the cat followed us outside. After the dog died, the cat was out of sorts from his routine being disrupted, so for the first while I took him out for walks around the courtyard. Kids love him and think it hilarious that he'll go for a walk.