Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: hello everyone

hello everyone

To disable ads, please log-in.

hi, I'm Elaine, I'm 46 years old, 300lbs and taking up cycling again in an effort to fit into my wedding dress (I'm getting married in October), lose weight get fitter and do more!

I was googling for advice for overweight women cyclists and found your forum, and from the posts I read you all seemed so friendly, helpful and un-judgmental that I thought I would join the forum and say hi.

I started cycling just before Christmas, but tried to run before I could walk and hurt my back on the 4th ride, not clever at all. After that healed I started again last week, only taking the doc's advice and starting low... I have now done 4 rides of 4 miles each and can start to feel a difference - the best thing is that the love of cycling I had when I was younger is starting to return and I'm really enjoying it, despite the physical pain so far

Welcome! A nice goal to look foward to!

Welcome and congratulations!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Welcome and congratulations-

Just do add a little more at a time- this is going to be a great thing for you.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

when I first started biking it killed me do to d mile, when I could do a mile I added a mile and so on until I got to 10, then I started adding 2 miles and then three and do on. Five years later and I am 65, 125 pounds lighter and still at it. Nowadays my average ride is 40-60 miles a couple of times a week. It can be done. Have fun on your adventure and you go girl!
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Welcome! I can remember when I started. I was like Marni, just kept at it until I finally could do enough miles to join our beginner's group ride of 20 miles. That was a major milestone for me. Take it one step at a time and you'll get there.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Welcome, Elaine! You picked a great forum to help you with your journey.

Welcome! I still remember when I thought that 8 miles of road biking as a lot. You'll be surprised how much you can improve if you keep at it.

One thing that I wish I had known at first, granola bars and energy bars have tons of calories. Now, I only have half of a granola bar or Cliff bar after one hour of riding along with drinking electrolyte fluids every 15min.

Hope you fall in love with biking so that even when you do lose the weight, you'll keep it up.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

Hello and welcome to the group. Four miles is a wonderful start! I started with shorter distances than that when I returned to cycling in my late fifties. Most important -- you say you are enjoying cycling, which is great. As others have said, just keep increasing your distance gradually and you will be fine.

If you have questions or concerns, post them here and someone can probably help. There's a huge amount of knowledge in this group.

Thanks for the welcome :-)

I've been out again this weekend, 9 miles yesterday and 6 today. Feels good!