Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Gym

Home Gym

To disable ads, please log-in.

Actually, the term is probably a bit much for my little fitness room, but it works for me The cast iron (black) kettlebell was loaned to me, the larger steel competition kettlebell is new. I prefer steel competition kettlebells, the dimensions are the same regardless of weight, the handle is more uniform in size, and they just feel better to me. Eventually I will have two more competition kettlebells and will return the cast iron version. The blue things on the wall is a yoga mat I cut up to both protect my apartment wall and cut down the noise from the Jungle Gym.

What you can't see is my Gunnar on it's stand on the opposite wall, there wasn't a way to get everything in the same picture.

Do you have a home gym? I would love to see a picture.

Attachment 16959

I use part of our basement for gym. I did not take pics. But we have a 46'' flat screen HD tv for videos (while we ride or use treadmill), a treadmill, our rock and roll bike trainer, weights, ball, elastic bands, DVD of runs/races, youtube videos streaming, etc. And I use all of it in a week. I love training at home as I can also play with my dogs while at it. 1 set of squats...1 ball being thrown at the end of basement for dog to catch, 1 set of weight, then I use my dog as dumbell, doing the plank? Enjoy some puppy talking at same time. They're really happy and so am I. haha

Wish I had a better area to train but I use the space I have and am happy with it.

I have a home gym in the loft of my house. That's where our desks, workspace is, but since we got laptps, we end up working in the kitchen!. I have a treadmill, dvd player with yoga and functional training dvds, a couple of cycling dvds, yoga mats, weights between 2-15 pounds, stability balls, and of course, our trainers in the winter. I generally do a riding program I get on line, and don't watch a video; I listen to music or watch TV while riding.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I don't have room for a home gym. I barely have room for a dining table that seats two people. I can't fit a full-size sofa in my living room. When my parents visit, they get my bed and I push the living room furniture to the side and sleep on the floor on an air mattress.

If I want to stretch, I put a yoga mat on the living room floor next to the front door. That's also where the indoor trainer goes when I ride it. The TV is next to the door.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

A 1-br apartment isn't conducive to a home gym! I have my TV and yoga mat in my bedroom, with some space cleared so that I can do yoga and things, and the CX bike on the trainer in the living room, and I can move my computer so that I can watch Star Trek or whatever while on the trainer. My weights consist largely of carrying 42-lb bags of cat litter up to my 3rd floor apartment. (That counts, right?) If I want to do anything else, I go to the complex's gym (it doesn't have much, though). I'm going to get a set of weights eventually, I think.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Helene, that sounds very nice! Crankin, I've considered stability balls but right now am really enjoying having my Jungle Gym and kettlebells. I will stick with the KB for my strength work, at least at home. Part of me would love to have an Olympic bar and set of bumper plates. I live upstairs however, and I can see that getting noisy. I can also see me forgetting myself and try to work on movements that I should avoid (overhead work). A friend of mine has two adjustible dumbbells, she can adjust the weight from 2.5 pounds all the way up to 50 or so, I think they are Bowflex.

I suspect I might actually use my trainer if I had a TV in that room, but I don't. Outside of the trainer I prefer to just have music when I workout, that or silence. I've been gathering quite a few workouts that feature the TRX and kettlebells so I've got what I need for now. The room is quite small, but big enough for what I need it for - and it isn't big enough to both have a tv and swing heavy kettlebells

I don't have a home gym because I have the clinic gym to use. But if I did, I would have the following:

1) A pull-up bar.
    2) A suspension trainer (TRX or Jungle Gym)
    3) Kettle bells 10 to 30 lbs
    4) Furniture sliders
    5) A BoSU ball
    6) A regular stability ball

With that equipment, you would be set to do an infinite number of differing and challenging circuits.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

hmmm, furniture sliders are a good idea, thanks Wahine! I've also considered the long resistance bands, I will add both of those once I drop my number of days a week at the gym this summer. I won't be there 4 days a week through summer... Both are great for core, flexibility and mobility work.

Wahine-

What do you recommend for fun on a Bosu? Any good resources? I bought one at costco (had been looking for one and there was one about 1/2 normal price) to work on leg stability - but I find that I really don't know all that many exercises. Doesn't have to be leg stuff - just always looking for new ways to have "fun"!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Wahine-

What do you recommend for fun on a Bosu? Any good resources? I bought one at costco (had been looking for one and there was one about 1/2 normal price) to work on leg stability - but I find that I really don't know all that many exercises. Doesn't have to be leg stuff - just always looking for new ways to have "fun"!
    I am not Wahine, but I've done a lot of work on the Bosu. I don't have one at home because I don't have that much room, and I'd rather spend money on kettlebells.

The Bosu is great for balance, and you can pretty much modify most body-weight exercises for the Bosu. Want to ramp up your push-up? Do a traveling pushup on the bosu, or mountain climbers, or hold and release jacks, or squats, there are a lot of things you can do with it.

Here is a link to the "weekly workout video" at the main Bosu website. This page has links to different video workouts from Bosu that might be fun. I removed the direct video feed because it was much too large. Hopefully that link will lead to a different video each week.

I would suggest just to play with it, think of your favorite exercises and see what they might feel like on the Bosu. You can work any body part, just have fun with it!
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-25-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    Wahine-

Hehehe. I'm going to list off a bunch of stuff, some of it might make sense, some of it you might be able to find on youtube. At some point I'll see if I can find some videos or put up some video.

Push-ups: ball side down holding on edges, can make these more interesting with lifting one leg. Ball side down, both hands on the ball, one hand on the ball, moving side to side with each rep of one hand on the ball, or feet on the ball, one foot on the ball and the other on the floor, one leg lifted...

Lunges: front foot on the ball or back foot on the ball

Bridges: feet or upperback/neck on ball.

Side steps onto then over ball: here's the jumping version but you can also just step it.

Side planks: Elbow on the ball and add movement of the upper hand, eg circles, or threading the needle, or waist supported by BoSU with legs lifted as high as you can, can add a flutter kick.

Kneeling: I love doing all kinds of stuff while kneeling on the BoSU. Here's the basic position but you can add anything to it, shoulder presses, biceps, ball bounces against the wall... Actually the link I posted here has a play list and all the videos are pretty good and beginner friendly.

Front plank versions with ball side up or down, here's a favorite, sometimes I add a push-up in the full plank position.

Standing on BoSU: trunk rotations with stable pelvis, arm exercises, passing a small ball from one hand to the other overhead (think jumping jack arms but with something to pass from hand to hand)...

That's all for now. I've got to get back to work.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Hehehe. I'm going to list off a bunch of stuff, some of it might make sense, some of it you might be able to find on youtube. At some point I'll see if I can find some videos or put up some video.

Push-ups: ball side down holding on edges, can make these more interesting with lifting one leg. Ball side down, both hands on the ball, one hand on the ball, moving side to side with each rep of one hand on the ball, or feet on the ball, one foot on the ball and the other on the floor, one leg lifted...

Lunges: front foot on the ball or back foot on the ball

Bridges: feet or upperback/neck on ball.

Side steps onto then over ball: here's the jumping version but you can also just step it.

Side planks: Elbow on the ball and add movement of the upper hand, eg circles, or threading the needle, or waist supported by BoSU with legs lifted as high as you can, can add a flutter kick.

Kneeling: I love doing all kinds of stuff while kneeling on the BoSU. Here's the basic position but you can add anything to it, shoulder presses, biceps, ball bounces against the wall... Actually the link I posted here has a play list and all the videos are pretty good and beginner friendly.

Front plank versions with ball side up or down, here's a favorite, sometimes I add a push-up in the full plank position.

Standing on BoSU: trunk rotations with stable pelvis, arm exercises, passing a small ball from one hand to the other overhead (think jumping jack arms but with something to pass from hand to hand)...

That's all for now. I've got to get back to work.
    Damn...now I need to buy a BoSU!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Bosus are great! Today I did lunges with the back leg on the ball. Then I did one legged burpees with a push up on the flat side and still on one leg, pick the d@3^ ball up over my head. And THEN I did explosive push ups, but that wasn't with the Bosu.

I also did more squats standing on ta fit ball ball, not a Bosu. Those are fun and the explosive push ups were fun.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Cool

Home gym (or box):

Pullup bar for 2
    high bar at 10' ceiling for rope climbs and short person muscle-ups on rings
    medicine balls (10#, 15#, 8#) for wall-balls, and interesting sprints
    GHD bench for glute-ham situps and back extensions.
    C2 rowing machine
    lifting platform with rack and rubber mat sides
    45# men's barbell (nice)
    35# women's barbell (hand grater)
    15# narrow (junk) bar with assorted small holed weights
    250# of bumper plates
    187.5# of metal/fractional plates
    5#-85# adjustable dumbbells
    2 x 20" plyo boxes
    2 x 12" plyo boxes
    1 set wooden rings with adjustable straps (try these almost to the floor for pushups!)
    1 15' rope (10' ceiling, boo!)
    resistance bands for stretches, and assistance for beginner pullups
    space for handstand pushups, weighted lunge walks, etc.

Cleaning is women's work!

Robintagline.txt

VERY nice!

My home kettlebell gym has expanded and has all I need for my KB Sport competition training - until my shoulders are stable enough for heavier kettlebells :-) A rowing machine would be nice, but that is quite pricey. I've a gym membership for that!

Attachment 17229