Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A woman tried to run us over while walking in our neighborhood...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yes, but I saw her.
    We are leaving to go out to western MA in a bit, so we decided to go out for a walk before packing. Got down to the bottom of the hill, where there's a 4 way stop. We were going straight. We stopped, looked and went. When we were in the middle of the intersection, as close to the edge as we could be, a woman comes to a stop on the cross street, on our right. She looks, stops, and goes while we are directly in her path!. I yelled to DH, and he decided to scare her, and pounded on her car. I had a sense she was going to do this, so we were able to stop and watch her antics. After we crossed her path. She stopped, and apologized, but I was furious, as I kept thinking, I would be dead if I had been on my bike. I usually wouldn't be going straight here on my bike, but sometimes, I do.
    I called her a Massh*le, a nasty slur around here, and reminded her that one needs to actually look when stopping at a 4 way stop. She was not on her phone, so that was not a reason.
    There are tons of cyclists, runners, walkers, and x country skiers on roller blade skis that go up and down my street... this is a disaster waiting to happen.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yikes- where was her mind at that moment??? Glad you are okay.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

So very glad that neither of you were hurt! Yikes!!!! Hopefully that was a lesson that she will never forget.

Oh geez! So glad you're both okay.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Glad you're okay! We had 2 pedestrians killed here in crosswalks in separate incidents last month. I bet your riding skills are what kept you safe. You know you can't trust drivers since it's been so drilled in on the bike.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Glad you guys are OK! I wonder what the heck she was thinking (or wasn't, as the case may be).
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

We wondered the same thing. I am always trying to focus on my way to work... Since I can get very distracted by my thoughts about clients. I know there are lots of cyclists around, so I concentrate.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

That's a bad intersection since they made it a 4-way. We are typically crossing your street if we are riding there, and it is hard to see even. Glad you are ok. Like many, I'm sure she was't anticipating anyone at all given the location, and was zoned out.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

The 4 way stop was put in after a bunch of my stupid neighbors complained about people going too fast down the hill. I went out for a ride with my "German" son in 2007 and when we came back, they were there. Of course, these are people who yell at DH for going too fast on his bike. The problem is, that it's not a traffic calming strategy when, as with almost all people in Massachusetts, they don't know what to do at a 4 way stop!
    It is hard to see over that little rise when you are coming from the direction the dumb woman was heading, but not looking straight! Only if you are trying to see who is approaching from the left.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I understand your anger, but the title led me to believe that she intentionally attempted to run you over, I'm glad that was not the case!

Well, it felt intentional from the way it happened!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

That's normally the language I use ... and I'm pretty sure that people who only cycle don't see a quarter of what happens. Running (when I get to face traffic and watch the drivers target me) has been a HUGE eye opener. When they volitionally steer their vehicles toward me I'm going to call it "trying to run me over" even if they didn't actually intend my body to go underneath their tires.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've experienced that, too, while running.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura