Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Gilbert and Sullivan

To disable ads, please log-in.

After seeing a random post that reminded me of them, I sat at work listening to Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan. (Trying to work at the same time, largely failing.) Dammit, I miss them. I grew up listening to several of the recordings since my mother (born American) was a big fan and grew up with them herself. My paternal grandfather and uncle were both excellent singers, were involved in a local G&S society and could belt out "I am a pirate king" at the drop of a hat.

And over here they're completely unknown, which makes me feel a little odd and lonely. And trying to explain the concept and the plot just makes people look at you in a puzzled way.

Ok, I'll have to teach my son some of these. I think my favourite is "When the foeman bears his steel", with the policemen trying to man up and be brave while the bloodthirsty maidens terrify them.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

when I was a child growing up in New Mexico we used to go see the summer touring team from D'oyle Cart Opera of England perform G&S at the amazingly restored and gorgeous opera house in Central City in Colorado. It was a long vacation family trip. We would see two days worth of G&S then travel on to Aspen Colorado for two days of the Music Festival and then on to Crater Lake for a couple of days of hiking and camping.

Both the SAG guy and I are very familiar with many of their works and occasionally will break out in song. My favorite production of the Pirates of Penzance was the tv production with Kevin Klein as the Pirate King and Olivia Newton John as the Admirals daughter. That and the dickie bird song from the Mikado.

Fond memories.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Wow, what a great childhood trip to remember :-)

I tried showing my son the "foeman"-song from the movie, on youtube. He was puzzled, but did start grinning at the end, when they march around yelling how ready they are to go into battle, but never actually leave.

And yesterday I listened through the Mikado at work. The minstrel song is great, and so is the punishment fitting the crime, with that amazing laugh in between the verses :-D I had no idea I still knew so many of the songs by heart.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

It has been a very long time and I don't suppose I know that much by heart any more.

When I was a kid my parents had recordings they'd play pretty often. The Mikado more than any of them, Pirates and Pinafore for sure, I don't think any of the less well known operette. I have no idea whose productions.

I'm actually thinking of Tom Lehrer's rendition of the periodic table of the elements to the tune of "Modern Major General." I wonder how many people would even get that, now.

But look what I found when I googled. Now this is cool.

Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

That was fantastic!