Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PNW snow and freeizing rain.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well I've lived in places where I had to dig to find the mailbox at the end of the drive way. My parents house would have 3 feet of snow just about every year. Some years the drift was high enough that you could ALMOST enter and exit out of the second floor window.

The snow in PNW is different than what I'm used to. and the strong wind we have had at my house, the pile of snow developed several layers of crust intersparsed with fluffy snow, wet snow, dry pellet (sort of like styrofoam pellet) like snow.

Then we had freezing rain. What in the world is that?? The wind was blowing so hard that the freezing rain was pelting the back of our house. Last night, tried to let our dogs out to do their stuff before going to bed. And the sliding glass door was FROZEN SHUT. YES IT WAS FROZEN SHUT from the freezing rain.

And the ground... I'm can almost see the concrete ground but my sole of my boots were no where near the concrete. My boots were separated from the concrete by wet thick ice about 2 inches thick.

I've learned a few things about this strange weather phenomenon.

BTW, at the height of the snow storm, I was shoveling the snow in 17F and 20MPH wind. I was dressed head to toe in my snow suit, neoprene boots... My 2nd generation Norwegian neighbor said I looked like a honest to goodness good Norwegian.

My neighbor is another fun story. Is he really a Norwegian? I think so, I asked him about his Bunad. His father's Bunad is in safe keeping with his nephew. And yes he does speak bokmal Norwegian. I think that is correct... I'm digressing.

Ha det (I think that is what I have to say).

BTW, LPH, how are you going to spend your million Kroner from the Norwegian oil?

lol… almost every year that I lived in Rochester, NY there would be at least one ice storm…. yeah, it coats everything. It would down trees and power lines out there. One happened when we were thankfully gone for break, but they invited all the workers and their families to come and stay in the student union building, since the campus had it's own backup generators and everyone else was without power - and it was bitterly, bitterly cold.

We did not get as hammered up here in WA as you guys did. In my neighborhood we got about 2 inches of snow last night, which is rapidly dwindling to nothing as we speak. Probably the most convenient kind of snow possible… fell on Saturday evening and won't be around on Monday. Just enough time to take some pretty pictures, for the kiddies to get out their sleds and for snowmen to be built, but didn't really affect much else.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Heh, by chance I opened this thread. It did say snow and freezing rain, which sounded familiar...

I think actually the US has more of this rain and ice business than we do. We have snow, which then gets rained on and subsequently turns icy, but not the ice storms I've read about.

If he speaks Norwegian he probaly is Norwegian, can't imagine why anyone else would bother. I'm going to spend my million kroner the way I have been doing so far - subsidized child care, free schooling, long maternity leaves...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

You've all seen this, right?

http://deadspin.com/runner-eats-it-i...nin-1519107024

The follow-up interview is pretty cool, too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Smilingcat, have you relocated?
    Freezing rain is no joke because of the way it is heavy and coats EVERYTHING. It's notorious for bringing down trees and power lines, and trees onto powerlines. We don't get a lot of it but one year we had a November storm that put almost the whole city out for a few days.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

We just had an ice storm here last week. It was minor in my immediate area, but the far north and west suburbs had lots of problems, since the ice there was thick and heavy enough to bring down trees and power lines. I've planned a nice bike ride up in that area, but I think will be a while before I can try it out.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yes we relocated to beautiful Oregon where things are green everywhere. Thin includes the roof and wooden sides of the house. It's a beautiful color of green and seems to spread each year. Even the concrete walkway turns green. How cool is that??

I like green, emerald green. Needless to say, we get ton of rain. It's beautiful. No need for an umbrella. Just stand there and soak all that beauty in

Well I've scattered pea gravel everywhere we walk on our property. I think salt is a big no no. When the snow and ice melts, we'll just sweep up the pea gravel back into its pile.

BTW, did you know that Prius can move like a crab, SIDEWAYS. Never seen it do that before!! Now if I can do that for parallel parking, it'll be cats meow!!

Rather enjoying Icelandia. Portlandia covered in ice.

I grew up in places like Michigan, Minnesota, Massachusetts and Maine and I was oblivious to the idea of 'freezing rain'. When we first moved to NC, I kept asking "isn't freezing rain just snow (or sleet)? Why don't they call it snow or sleet?". Then I was driving to work one day and it was 29F and pouring rain. How is that possible? Does NC defy the laws of physics? That rain was freezing to my car as I was driving... By the time I got to work (13 miles from home), I couldn't get out of my car as the doors were frozen shut!! That, ladies and gentleman, is freezing rain. It SUCKS.

Now that I live in the PNW - I've had to change my definition of 'bad weather'. People laugh that 4 inches of snow will stop us in our tracks for days. It started to snow here on Thursday. Today (Monday), people are still calling in to work...unable to get out of their neighborhoods. 4 inches of snow with 4 days of temps near freezing or below, with very few plows and with hills everywhere and an awful lot of cars with crappy bald tires and people who don't know how to drive in snow is a recipe for disaster. Personally, I stay off the roads if I can and I'm very comfortable driving in snow (and we own a Subaru).

A friend of mine posted a video of a guy ice skating down the street (literally - on hockey skates!). Crazy!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I know freezing rain. I've lived through it, just barely missed that storm that put what a million people out of power for a week in the dead of winter six-seven years ago? had many others I didn't miss.

GLC, I'm surprised you never had it in MI, we get plenty in OH.

But the video was still funny, geez ... especially knowing the runner wasn't really hurt and had a sense of humor about it ...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    If he speaks Norwegian he probaly is Norwegian, can't imagine why anyone else would bother.
    Uff da!! OK, that's all I know. My dad is 1/4 Norwegian (1/2 Swede, 1/4 Dane), mom was raised by predominately Norske parents, but was adopted and knows that she is at least 1/2 Scot and 1/2 mystery…I generally pretend that the mystery is Scandinavian, since I LOOK Scandinavian.

My BFF was an exchange student for a year in Trondheim (which is where my roots are, incidentally) and is fluent. Her kids have a pretty good understanding of Norwegian, since she has spoken Norwegian to them since they were infants. It's pretty cool.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

We have more of this pox headed our way. Predicted to have somewhere in between 1/4" ice and 6" snow. That is enough to shut us down for quite a while, if it happens. Bah Humbug. I enjoyed this mess when I didn't have to go anywhere. Now that I do have to go somewhere - ugh!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Toronto had their worst ice storm in over 25 years, around this past Christmas : I wondered if my whole family would get together for Christmas Eve. There were accidents, etc. downed trees and hydro lines a few days before Christmas.

Um this past weekend it was -24 degrees C, with wind chill @-31 degrees C. But tomorrow it will be softer at -12 degrees C or warmer. I've lost count the number of snow dumps, melts, evaporation, another snow dump, deep freeze..

I just hope we don't another river flood like last spring which grabbed international news.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I remember freezing rain here when I was a kid. But,it does seem we have it more often now. It scares the hell out of me, but I still don't get why sometimes the rain turns to ice and other times it's light snow when the temperature is hovering around freezing. I guess it's humidity, but I'll take snow any day!
    This is the only place I've lived that's had snow, so no comparison. However, when I used to travel to northern AZ from Tempe, I noticed the snow there was completely different. All powder. I couldn't teach my kids how to make a snowman until we moved here.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I remember freezing rain here when I was a kid. But,it does seem we have it more often now. It scares the hell out of me, but I still don't get why sometimes the rain turns to ice and other times it's light snow when the temperature is hovering around freezing. I guess it's humidity, but I'll take snow any day!
    According to our weather talking heads, it has to do with the upper level temperatures (with a cold layer at the ground). If it's cold all the way up, we get snow. If there's a warm layer above that's thin, we get sleet. If there's a thick warm layer, we get freezing rain. The are now saying we are in for the worst storm since 2002. I was in law school in the time, and we had no power for the entirety of exam week. Really, really hoping that doesn't happen again!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Yup, there's a basic difference between rain and snow, in that snow forms from water vapour in air that is cold and dry enough to cause crystal growth. There's lots of air in snow. Snow can melt to rain, but once a raindrop is formed it can't turn into snow. It can freeze to hail on the way down, but the transition is "hard". So once they're formed raindrops will often keep falling in quite cold air, and not freeze until they hit the cold ground.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett