Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's such a relief to be able to run outside! Don't miss the treadmill at all. Today was urban speed work-- sprinting to stoplights in the hope of hitting them while still green. And I also stopped by the track for some intervals, just 4 200yd, all between 40 and 45 secs. It's been a while since I visited the track, and a while since anyone cleared trash off of it. The inner lane is clear now at least...

My foot is still bothering me, but I tried running last night anyway and it appeared to work out OK. It was no more sore this morning that it was yesterday. I just did 2 easy miles on the treadmill. Tonight I'll go longer (maybe 4?) but I'm going to hold off on any speedwork for now. My hope is that I'm able to do my long run this weekend and get back on track overall.

I will say that my calves feel like rocks after my hike on Tuesday. Owie!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

It was back to the treadmill this morning; I was running late so just went 5k. Ms Overstride was back this morning too. I took off my glasses so I couldn't see as well, but she'd be a good person to video if someone wanted to put together examples of what not to do on a treadmill. Might have to get friendly with a different treadmill, with a different line of sight...

Hoping the wind will be minimal in the morning, because I'd really like to end the month with an outside run. But at a predicted 10F, it'll have to be basically wind-free for me to go for it.

We got in 2 runs this week so far. Hill repeats on Tuesday and an hour long trail run yesterday. Both days were cold and blowy , but we got it done.

Wednesday I did 6 x mile at 5K pace (or close to it anyway). It was going WAY better than I thought it would until the very end of the last repeat when I got a monster cramp in the deep abdomen. Pretty sure it was the psoas, where I've been having some pretty intense bodywork done. Yikes. Just had to walk it off from there, SLOWLY. Still, the most mile repeats I've ever done before was four, at about 20 sec/mile slower. This is really the first time I've been convinced I'm getting stronger and faster on this plan ... up til now I've just been tired and sore. (Which I still am, but also gratified. )

Tempo day tomorrow.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Youch, but glad to hear that you are feeling better and stronger

We did sprinting yesterday mixed with some work with sandbags, so I didn't do my prescribed running yesterday after group. I WAS going to run today but my legs, hips, and hammies are all talking to me a bit. Not bad, but since I've things planned for the next two days I should probably take a rest day today. What is this thing called....rest? My body DOES do better with it however so I suppose I will listen to it today. I am resistant to the idea as we are supposed to get ANOTHER winter storm this weekend with up to 10 inches of snow by Monday and dangerous driving conditions on Sunday. Very glad I've recently enhanced my "home gym" because I will be using it. I want to run though, and I can't do that at home.

Glad you are "listening." Although I had a work excuse not to ride on the trainer yesterday, I was extremely sore from the step/sculpt class I took. The bottoms of my feet hurt, too. I felt much better when I woke up this morning, and had a good spin class.
    All this running talk is making me want to run. Maybe I shouldn't read this thread. I am trying to see how my back is, without going to PT every week, or every other wk. My body needs some shaking up, but I am trying to be smart here. It's too icy out, anyway.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Oak, it feels good to get to that place, huh? Summer before last I was doing a lot of track work and I remember the day I did 8 x 1 miles vividly. It was about 90 degrees and, thankfully, there was an outdoor shower where I could cool off in between, and I felt awesome when I finished. I was so surprised that I was able to do it, but then that's what training is all about! Glad the plan is working out for you.

I am still in building mode. I am not doing my usual March race this year; I need to take it really slowly (I will be at the finish line watching hubby come in, though). It's been a while since I've done such a long build. It's weird but I am optimistic it will enable me to stay healthier this season (well, assuming I don't fall, which was the beginning of the domino problem I have been dealing with). I have been doing balancing-focus yoga 3x a week, so I am hoping this will manifest itself in bionic lower legs (stable) and improved ability to avoid trail somersaults.

We had a week of April weather in February so hubs and I were able to get out on some dirt trails for a few runs. It was delightful. I think we're back to roads or snow-covered for a bit now, though.

Catrin, I have traded rest days more than once because of weather. You just need to make sure you actually take the rest day you told yourself you'd take in place of the one you are using as a workout day

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Catrin, I have traded rest days more than once because of weather. You just need to make sure you actually take the rest day you told yourself you'd take in place of the one you are using as a workout day
    I hear you...and I know myself. If I run today, I will still do my Kettlebell group training tomorrow...and with the winter storm forecast on Sunday I won't be able to resist playing with my brand new kettlebell and Jungle Gym at home. That would be 4 days in a row of exercise, one moderate, 2 intense, and who knows how my Sunday workout will be. No....rest today. 4 days in a row is just too much for me and I would pay the price at my group training Tuesday morning.

Yes, it can be frustrating having to "rest" so much - not that I actually rest THAT much. It does, however, appear to be keeping me from re-injuring myself and that is the entire point I am beginning to wonder, however, how long it will be before I can hit the trails. Winter storm after winter storm after...spring has to come sometime, yes? I suspect I will be on my bike again before the trails are in good enough condition to run. I know some don't mind running in mud, but that is destructive.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-28-2014 at 05:40 AM.